Anyone able to get high PSN download speeds???

FQs19

I would love to know why I've never been able to get games or apps, on my PS4 or PS4Pro, to download at more than 10mb per second.

When I do a speed test on my PS4 and PS4Pro, I get 135mb down and 6mb up. 

My actual bandwidth from Comcast is 220mb down and 12mb up. 

My CC is set to 70% down and 80% up, so I get the speed test results. 

I've researched online for answers but no one seems to understand why some get good download speeds and others don't. 

I get that PSN will throttle downloads but I used to be able to download games at 80mb/second on my PS3 back before I had the Netduma. 

I've tried all kinds of tricks to get higher download speeds like changing my DNS, pausing and restarting the download, and changing my MTU, but nothing works. 

Has anyone had this problem and figured out a solution that works all the time???

It seems to be based on your connection to the closest Akamai CDN server. PSN uses Akamai as their CDN (Content Delivery Network) and I get really good results for my speed tests and downloads because for one I have fiber, two I have a server in my city that is partnered with my ISP. I don't always get really good download speeds because I think it doesn't automatically always connect me to that closest server and sometimes connects me to a server farther away slowing the download down. DNS can help simply because it gives a faster response on which server to use and usually the closest. I can't offer much help as I'm unsure how close you are to a Akamai CDN server but you can optimize your DNS with various programs (ex. DNSBenchmark).

The stopping and starting the stream works for me sometimes, other times I think that the amount of people downloading the same file may also have an impact. What in particular are you trying to download?

It seems to be based on your connection to the closest Akamai CDN server. PSN uses Akamai as their CDN (Content Delivery Network) and I get really good results for my speed tests and downloads because for one I have fiber, two I have a server in my city that is partnered with my ISP. I don't always get really good download speeds because I think it doesn't automatically always connect me to that closest server and sometimes connects me to a server farther away slowing the download down. DNS can help simply because it gives a faster response on which server to use and usually the closest. I can't offer much help as I'm unsure how close you are to a Akamai CDN server but you can optimize your DNS with various programs (ex. DNSBenchmark).

I've used DNSBenchmark before. 

It gives me a DNS server from Comcast. 

I've been using it for years. 

I'm located just outside Philadelphia. 

The stopping and starting the stream works for me sometimes, other times I think that the amount of people downloading the same file may also have an impact. What in particular are you trying to download?

Doesn't seem to matter what I'm downloading, either a full game, an app, or just an update to a game. 

I can never get higher than 10mb/sec. 

The download usually sits at 6mb/sec. 

I can download multiple files at once and each of them will be downloading around 4-6mb/sec. 

It's liked PNS throttles my connection no matter what. 

Try pinging and running DNSBenchmark with 76.72.165.34 and 206.183.107.35

These are DNS in Philly. They may be terrible for you but worth a shot. May give you better results on PSN though so you could test that as well. 

Besides this I hope you the best of luck

Do you think its the psn throttling or your ISP throttling at peak times etc? Just a thought not saying it is.

Not sure.

Apple app downloads to iTunes are super slow as well but they've always been slow for me.

Sounds like it could be an isp issue rather than a psn issue then. Might be worth trying downloads at different times, Im not saying it is just making a suggestion :)

Going to try different DNS servers like AREUZ suggested to see if that's the problem.

It's not a time of day thing since I've tried every hour of the day already.

Not sure.

Apple app downloads to iTunes are super slow as well but they've always been slow for me.

I've never had that problem, my downloads are so fast I don't even see them downloading... Comcast doesn't throttle me, I'm sure they don't for you either. Must be something else... Duma setting wonky? Maybe needs a reset?

• Administrators

Going to throw a spanner in the works but 135 megabits per second translates to 16.875 megabytes per second so you're not losing too much on the download. Perhaps they have changed from showing the download as Mbps and now shows MB/s which would account for why you would have got 80 before. Just a theory anyway.

Going to throw a spanner in the works but 135 megabits per second translates to 16.875 megabytes per second so you're not losing too much on the download. Perhaps they have changed from showing the download as Mbps and now shows MB/s which would account for why you would have got 80 before. Just a theory anyway.

Good shot but it's definitely megabits (MB) not megabytes (Mb). 

I've never had that problem, my downloads are so fast I don't even see them downloading... Comcast doesn't throttle me, I'm sure they don't for you either. Must be something else... Duma setting wonky? Maybe needs a reset?

No idea. I've reset the Duma multiple times. It never helped. Might be something on my PC that's hindering the Apple downloads, because speed tests on my PC are fine. 

I uploaded a video of my max download speed of 10MB/sec. 

I still haven't changed my DNS server around to see if it would help but will when I get a chance. 

Just wanted to show you guys what I'm seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbag5SALFxs

Try this on for size. I have yet to try it. I'll try to post my results later today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jplafke/2017/03/31/how-to-finally-fix-slow-ps4-and-psn-download-speeds-for-real/#7ec7ce692d4e

Here's the original source too. Interesting read...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/d7gvuvh/

Try this on for size. I have yet to try it. I'll try to post my results later today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jplafke/2017/03/31/how-to-finally-fix-slow-ps4-and-psn-download-speeds-for-real/#7ec7ce692d4e

Here's the original source too. Interesting read...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/d7gvuvh/

I did read this when researching but having to switch back and forth between Proxy and no Proxy would be a pain in the ass. 

I might give it a shot if I continue to have problems though. 

So.

Just finished a whole bunch of testing and found, well, not much.

The only thing that partially helped was setting up a Proxy. That gave me 18mb/sec downloads. So it almost doubled my speeds. 

I'd rather not run another program on my PC just for 8mb of download speed. 

Every DNS server gives me a max of between 6-8mb/sec. Doesn't matter if it's my router, my closest DNS, Google DNS, or the ones Areuz gave me. 

The only thing I haven't tried is removing the Netduma and using my old router. 

Resetting the Netduma to Factory didn't help.

put it in rest mode

when not in rest mode the ps4 automatically limits the download speed put on rest mode and it gives downloads 100 percent

It might limit while playing a game or using an app, but it shouldn't when the PS4 is doing nothing. 

I've also timed the download to see if Rest Mode increased it's speed but it didn't. Still took the same amount of time to download. 

try googles dns or what ever

but i read on a ps4 official forums and seen on reddit tons of testing to prove rest mode gives you the fastest download speeds

they bottle neck it even if you got no apps or games going

i have seen this my self as every ps4 game i got is digital

It might limit while playing a game or using an app, but it shouldn't when the PS4 is doing nothing. 

I've also timed the download to see if Rest Mode increased it's speed but it didn't. Still took the same amount of time to download. 

Try it with your modem directly connected to the PS4... At least we can figure out if it's ISP or hardware related then

Try it with your modem directly connected to the PS4... At least we can figure out if it's ISP or hardware related then

Good suggestion Mod Box. I'll definitely try that.

Connected my PS4Pro directly to my modem and I got the same speeds as if my Netduma was connected, max of 8mb/sec downloads. 

Going to call Playstation Support this week and see what stupid answer they give me. 

My max download speed with Netduma is 6mb and without it is 8mb, so the CC is working properly. 

Do you actually see higher download speeds?