Destiny Connection Issues

Hey guys,

I like the features of this router for Destiny, however I have been having constant error codes and it is getting frustrating, so I am looking for some help to get this sorted, as I didn't have any error codes ever (unless the server really messed up) when using my old router (the Netgear listed below).  I have tried to follow all of the advice given, however nothing seems to get rid of these problems.  When the error codes are bad I can't last in the Tower for more than a few seconds before seeing a black screen and, if I'm lucky, will see the tower after a black screen for a few minutes.  This is a bit annoying as I can't visit vendors for long enough to utilise them.  The tower/social spaces are the worst places and I get lots of error codes, this isn't really a PvP specific problem, but I did get kicked out of the occasional game.

I don't play many other online games, so it is hard to pin down the problem however Rocket League doesn't seem to have any issues (other than their own server issues, which have also been quite bad recently).

The error codes are things like beetle, bee, quail and a whole bunch of others.

Firmware

1.03.6h

Speeds

• Download: 25 - 30 Mbp/s
  • Upload: 5 - 10 Mbp/s

Set up

• ISP: Zen
  • NETGEAR DM200-100EUS High-Speed Broadband DSL (VDSL/ADSL) Modem
    • Connected in modem mode (so no DHCP)
  • Netduma router
    • Connected to the modem above
    • Wireless disabled
    • PPPoE used (otherwise I can't connect)
    • Deep packet processing enabled
    • UPnP enabled
    • Multicast snooping
    • IPv6 enabled (in all three places)
    • Cookies enabled
    • Cloud
      • Autocloud disabled
      • Bleeding edge cloud disabled
      • 30/28/28
    • Host filtering enabled
      • Peer ping enabled
      • Auto ping host disabled
      • Kilometres
      • Strict mode disabled
      • Show dormant hosts enabled
      • Filter by distance depends on activity:
        • PvE 20,000 km
        • PvP 1,000 km
      • No ping assist
    • Congestion control
      • Algorithm preemptive and correct speeds applied
      • Download/upload cap 70%
      • Download/upload priority 60% to Xbox One
      • Hyper-Traffic enabled for Xbox One / Xbox Live
  • NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Dual Band (800 Mbps 2.4 GHz, 256QAM support + 1733 Mbps 5 GHz 11ac) Wireless (Mu-Mimo Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem
    • This is running as a wireless AP connected to the Netduma
  • Xbox One
    • Connected to Netduma with ethernet

Thanks.

Hi mate,

I will add soon a tutorial in English for the actual firmware.

I'm Guardian too and my settings works like hell for Destiny.

Check the general support, it will be available in few hours.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Firstly thank you for providing so much information, it's very useful. You're not the first person to say something like this within the last few days. I'll be testing the game myself today so I can work on a cloud for the game and hopefully resolve the booting issue.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Firstly thank you for providing so much information, it's very useful. You're not the first person to say something like this within the last few days. I'll be testing the game myself today so I can work on a cloud for the game and hopefully resolve the booting issue.

It has been a problem for a while, maybe a few weeks or more, but I experimented with lots of different settings and can't get a stable configuration.

It also isn't happening all of the time, I've actually been sat in the Tower now for 30 minutes - 1 hour and not seen any problems, however there will be other times where even walking in the tower for five seconds will be impossible.

I know this isn't related to my connection, as I can provide graphs of my connection from a ping monitoring service, which I have been using since I changed to this ISP maybe a year ago and reconnect if I can see huge packet loss / instability in the connection.

I will follow your guide that you have now translated into English and see if it fixes things.

One thing I didn't want to do, which is in your guide, is port forward, what if I want to use those ports on another device too?

I don't get lag, this isn't a problem, I just get error codes for no reason and mostly in the Tower?

Also one thing I forgot, which might be crucial to the issue, is that the modem, Netduma and console DNS settings are always through Google for the router (primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4).  In your guide you suggest the DNS for the console as the router, which might make a difference.

I will follow your guide that you have now translated into English and see if it fixes things.

One thing I didn't want to do, which is in your guide, is port forward, what if I want to use those ports on another device too?

I don't get lag, this isn't a problem, I just get error codes for no reason and mostly in the Tower?

Also one thing I forgot, which might be crucial to the issue, is that the modem, Netduma and console DNS settings are always through Google for the router (primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4).  In your guide you suggest the DNS for the console as the router, which might make a difference.

If you don't want my rules, you can use the ports from Bungie: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/11931

I use that network configuration because it's the same when you put your network configuration in automatic.

Furthermore, this configuration works for a lots of users with different type of connection.

If you don't want my rules, you can use the ports from Bungie: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/11931

I use that network configuration because it's the same when you put your network configuration in automatic.

Furthermore, this configuration works for a lots of users with different type of connection.

It's not that I don't want to use the rules, my understanding is that disabling UPnP and using port forwarding also results in the inability to forward those same ports on another local device or is there something more clever going on here?

It's not that I don't want to use the rules, my understanding is that disabling UPnP and using port forwarding also results in the inability to forward those same ports on another local device or is there something more clever going on here?

UPNP doesn't properly with Destiny because you can get a lot of beaver, coconu, sharizard (i'm joking  :) ) errors.

It's not the same with port forwarding.

OK.  I've set it up this way and will give it a go for the next few days.  Will try Vault of Glass tonight and this week, so hopefully I'll be able to come back with thumbs up.

Come to think of it, I think the majority of the time I used the Nighthawk I relied on port forwarding as I didn't actually realise what UPnP was, however with either setting I didn't see this much instability on Destiny.

One quick thing, now that I have changed these settings, every time I go to the "Miscellaneous settings page" now it says "Error loading misc page.  Please post issue at forum.netduma.com" any idea why that is?

Also I had to use the same DNS on the console that I used for the router, which is 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 to get it to connect, but that shouldn't matter, I believe your port theory is the reason for the Destiny instability.

OK.  I've set it up this way and will give it a go for the next few days.  Will try Vault of Glass tonight and this week, so hopefully I'll be able to come back with thumbs up.

Come to think of it, I think the majority of the time I used the Nighthawk I relied on port forwarding as I didn't actually realise what UPnP was, however with either setting I didn't see this much instability on Destiny.

One quick thing, now that I have changed these settings, every time I go to the "Miscellaneous settings page" now it says "Error loading misc page.  Please post issue at forum.netduma.com" any idea why that is?

Also I had to use the same DNS on the console that I used for the router, which is 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 to get it to connect, but that shouldn't matter, I believe your port theory is the reason for the Destiny instability.

It seems you have an issue between your Netduma and your ISp router.

Do you want me to check it on Teamviewer?

It seems you have an issue between your Netduma and your ISp router.

Do you want me to check it on Teamviewer?

Yes that would be helpful.

Not sure what the issue is, but it looks like I can't change my cloud settings now, they don't appear to be loading and that might be what the error is.

Also just got error code anteater in the Tower :(.

Yes that would be helpful.

Not sure what the issue is, but it looks like I can't change my cloud settings now, they don't appear to be loading and that might be what the error is.

Also just got error code anteater in the Tower :(.

Install Teamviewer on your computer and send me the ID and password in PM.

Install Teamviewer on your computer and send me the ID and password in PM.

I managed to get it to load the cloud settings again.  I believe you were correct, as I had to reset my modem again (but nothing else), even though I had done a proper power cycle on everything before.

If it doesn't work now I'll get your help with Teamviewer thanks!

UPNP doesn't properly with Destiny because you can get a lot of beaver, coconu, sharizard (i'm joking :) ) errors.

It's not the same with port forwarding.

I've never heard of this b4, do you have a source? Bungie network t/s guide even suggests using upnp especially with multi condoles household

I've never heard of this b4, do you have a source? Bungie network t/s guide even suggests using upnp especially with multi condoles household

With my experience because everytime i used upnp it was a f*cking errors party.

I use port forwarding for a long time and no errors since for me or for all guys i've helped.

Cool deal! I got nothing against finding something that works for you.

Me too :)

UPNP is the only alternative when you have two consoles but if you can, don't use it.

Hey guys,

I've been testing this out and there isn't any difference.  I can play the game fine and not get any problems, however once I hit the Tower or social spaces there is a good chance I will be hit with error codes, mainly anteater.

Hey guys,

I've been testing this out and there isn't any difference. I can play the game fine and not get any problems, however once I hit the Tower or social spaces there is a good chance I will be hit with error codes, mainly anteater.

Check this: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20726-the-best-settings-imo-for-the-10306-firmware/?view=getnewpost

• Administrators

Hey guys,

I've been testing this out and there isn't any difference.  I can play the game fine and not get any problems, however once I hit the Tower or social spaces there is a good chance I will be hit with error codes, mainly anteater.

I'll test and put out a cloud.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but you have asked me to do this several times and I have said I am using this set up, I said I would test this and now I am coming back with my results, which are generally more stable than before, as I can survive in the Tower for long periods of time, however last night as soon as I hit a social space after doing about 3 or 4 hours of raids I got error codes.  These error codes then continued to happen until I quickly decided to reboot my modem, as I was doing more raids and didn't want errors.  I get the feeling these error codes might be because of the modem.

1491740052-U14419.png

You can see above my connection from last night from an external ping monitoring service.

I was using this fine from about 6pm until you see where there is supposedly big packet loss at about 12:45 am.  This big packet loss is because I rebooted the modem and went offline, as a few minutes before then I went to the Tower and got lots of error codes.  Before rebooting I decided to reboot the game and try again, joined the fireteam who had now just begun the opening of Vault of Glass raid and still received the same error codes even in there (note that this is a patrol area, which is a public PvE instance and not a completely private PvE instance, I'm not sure if their patrol areas are strictly P2P or if they connect somewhere else too).  After rebooting the modem I had no problems at all.  One other thing to note is that I had host filtering disabled and was not using it for the several hours mentioned above, from 6pm until 2am. 

What is confusing to me is actually during one of the more stable connection times the error codes appeared, yet when there was a higher average ping and greater fluctuation of ping all was fine.

Any ideas?

I know you are trying to be helpful, but you have asked me to do this several times and I have said I am using this set up, I said I would test this and now I am coming back with my results, which are generally more stable than before, as I can survive in the Tower for long periods of time, however last night as soon as I hit a social space after doing about 3 or 4 hours of raids I got error codes. These error codes then continued to happen until I quickly decided to reboot my modem, as I was doing more raids and didn't want errors. I get the feeling these error codes might be because of the modem.

1491740052-U14419.png

You can see above my connection from last night from an external ping monitoring service.

I was using this fine from about 6pm until you see where there is supposedly big packet loss at about 12:45 am. This big packet loss is because I rebooted the modem and went offline, as a few minutes before then I went to the Tower and got lots of error codes. Before rebooting I decided to reboot the game and try again, joined the fireteam who had now just begun the opening of Vault of Glass raid and still received the same error codes even in there (note that this is a patrol area, which is a public PvE instance and not a completely private PvE instance, I'm not sure if their patrol areas are strictly P2P or if they connect somewhere else too). After rebooting the modem I had no problems at all. One other thing to note is that I had host filtering disabled and was not using it for the several hours mentioned above, from 6pm until 2am.

What is confusing to me is actually during one of the more stable connection times the error codes appeared, yet when there was a higher average ping and greater fluctuation of ping all was fine.

Any ideas?

Do you want me to check it with Teamviewer ?

It will be easier to find your issue.