iAmMoDBoX

Well I tend to believe what TP-Link says since they have the data. I can reconfirm with them. So can anyone. 

Just saying. Arris isn't a problem with the R1. It's not for you, it's for others who can't use TPLink modem with there ISPs. 

I don't believe what TP-Link barely speaks english paid 50 cents an hour chinese supports tells me. Common sense says two modems with different channel ranges can't have the same chips.

Arris is a problem, you just don't know it until you've used a working modem. http://forum.netduma.com/user/899-kevo/was just as stubborn as you until he finally caved and bought the $40 investment. Immediately said it made a difference, dropping 200 kills in 2 games. So until you actually TRY using the modem, don't say that yours works fine. I too though that my modem was fine, until I saw the difference using a different one.

I have tried and haven't seen any differences in the Arris modems I've tested. Just saying is that if ones ISP don't support T-Link, Arris can be used and does work. Even if the R1 was behind another router which I have also tested, the EEE isn't a problem what so ever. I can and do say the Arris modem works just fine!!! Period! Again for users that can't use TP-Link with there ISPs!!!

Also, what happens when the 7610 becomes obsolete? Sure hope the 7620 and follow on models will work huh? 

I re-confirmed with TP-Link support, 7610's chip is BCM3383D and 7620 is BCM33843D, Was a typo in there initial response. So there is a difference. Yet still Broadcom and the 7620 would be I presume capable of supporting the R1. 

Maybe XSXS can test this out and let us know. 

I have tried and haven't seen any differences in the Arris modems I've tested. Just saying is that if ones ISP don't support T-Link, Arris can be used and does work. Even if the R1 was behind another router which I have also tested, the EEE isn't a problem what so ever. I can and do say the Arris modem works just fine!!! Period! Again for users that can't use TP-Link with there ISPs!!!

I re-confirmed with TP-Link support, 7610's chip is BCM3383D and 7620 is BCM33843D, Was a typo in there initial response. So there is a difference. Yet still Broadcom and the 7620 would be I presume capable of supporting the R1. 

Maybe XSXS can test this out and let us know. 

You haven't tried anything except for Arris... So, no, you cannot say that it works just as good as any other brand lol

Like I said, there is a difference. And just because chip A works fine, doesn't mean chip B will work fine too because they are the same brand.

Every ISP supports the 7610 without a problem. The problem comes when you try to go over 100 Mbps plan with Time Warner/Spectrum because they put an artificial limit on 8x4 modems. So the simple solution is to not go over 100 Mbps because 1) you're trying to optimize your gaming experience 2) 100 Mbps is completely overkill for any game. I'll trade speed for stable ping any day, thanks.

If that's the case, my friend is on Spectrum with an ARRIS SB6141 and can only get 100 Mbps because that's all they allow on 8x4 modems so does his modem work fine?

http://forum.netduma.com/user/354-pharmdawgg/

He tested the 7620 as well as a bunch of other modems and I will take his word for it when he says the 7620 does not work well with the Netduma.

I am done with this conversation.

Well I tend to believe what TP-Link says since they have the data. I can reconfirm with them. So can anyone.

Just saying. Arris isn't a problem with the R1. It's not for you, it's for others who can't use TPLink modem with there ISPs.

Thanks for the information. I'll contact them as well to see if i can get any more info about the chips.

Post what you find out. Im sure were all curious if you choose to get the 7620, how it works with the R1. I'm sure it will work just like the 7610 or any other modem. Not every ISP supports TPLink. 

http://forum.netduma.com/user/354-pharmdawgg/

He tested the 7620 as well as a bunch of other modems and I will take his word for it when he says the 7620 does not work well with the Netduma.

Actually he never tested the 7620 only the 7610. I PMd him last week asking why exactly it did not work and he replied he never used the 7620. So you must have him confused with a different user.

I'll try to get my hands on one and test it myself. As i know there are users that need a good compatible modem with more than 8x4 channels. However probably a waste of time with the Duma OS coming out soon (I hope.)

The SB 6183 is a 16x4. 

I see the Motorola MB7420 is the same. It's also supported on my ISP. I might check this one out. Always enjoyed the Motorola modems before Arris bought them. They worked as well with the R1 router. 

https://motorolanetwork.com/mb7420.html

I just bought the MB7220 8x4 version since it was so cheap on E-bay and why not?  I will test it out and report back later.  

Yeah I am actually more curious to how other modems work?  The full band tuning makes sense, each channel can handle up to 43Meg and I have the 150 Meg plan so I would only need 3.1 channels if running at max through put.  So it will pick the channels with the least amount of congestion.  I mean how do other modems work? the same way??? but once they are locked on a channel they will continue to use it and just use more channels to get the full bandwidth if needed?

Ya, I only have 100x3 here so i'm at a good point here with the 6183. Band tuning could be just a marketing scheme to bring in customers. Flashy new modem with a flashy new feature.  :rolleyes: Will be interesting to see what you find out. Do direct connect tests with the modem first. Speed and BufferBloat. Then test with the R1. 

Haha looks like it is a Broadcom feature with their chipsets so I would think any modem that has this chipset already has this full bandwidth tuning but just not advertised, lol.

http://support.cableone.net/Documents/SB6183.pdf

AKA: 1GHZ tuner.

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bit-rate/why-broadcoms-full-band-tuner-cool/324188

So this might be just a waste of time to write up with the new DumaOS coming out but I said I would post this so here it is.

Before testing the TP-link TC-7610 out again I had an actual Cox tech come out and check my lines and node.  Everything checked out good and there was plenty of bandwidth on my node and my line was in the middle of the chain.

I had to install a -3.5dB splitter so I could use both my EMTa modem and the 7610 at the same time (phone).  The 6 dB RTA was removed since adding a splitter does the same thing to the upstream power levels.

On the DSL reports down stream buffer bloat was considerably better with the 7610 than the Cisco DPQ3212 but the upstream buffer bloat was the same.  There was no change in band width on either modem however on the DSL reports buffer bloat test I would frequently get a C for quality on the 7160 and I would usually get an A with the Cisco.

Quality definition: Quality refers to average detected packet loss / re-transmit percentages during download phase. The higher the packet loss / re-transmit percentage the more inefficient the connection is, and a very poor result may be indicative of congestion, inside wiring issues or other problems that need addressing.

For the DSL reports ping test the 7610 would occasionally get better grades but that would be an A+ compared to an A.  I noticed this test would fluctuate from a B to A frequently on both modems.

As for using ping plotter and pinging google.com spiking and jitter was worse with the 7610.  After seeing this and having worse games connection wise I decided to return the 7610.  My stats went down and the WTH moments started to happen.  My son even said connection was inconsistent lag wise. With the Cisco connection it is usually pretty good.  I was playing Titan fall 2 and Destiny.

See pics below for ping plotter charts.  The Cisco modem never had charts that looked like the 7160 ones and run I PP frequently. 

Anyway this just my experience with the 7160, maybe it was lemon, maybe I had a bad splitter (I did install another splitter but my modem levels did not change so I swap it back.) or maybe the 7160 just did not work in my set up.  

Pics of the 7160 PP

post-10147-0-26827200-1498159774_thumb.jpeg

post-10147-0-12101700-1498159775_thumb.jpeg

post-10147-0-56512500-1498159775_thumb.jpeg

I forgot one more test, in the Netduma gui. When using the internet diagnostic test, 90% of the time I would get: good exceptional and exceptional when the Cisco was connected. When the 7610 was connected I would get: good, good, exceptional 60% of the time and when looking at the detailed report I would have one or two hops spike up 20 to 30ms.

This thread has just turned into one big mess of misinformation and misdirection now. Just want I wanted. /s

Your approved modem list a joke. Oh wow 5 modems are compatible by you? No real data just hearsay. At least there are users trying to get more on this so called approved list. Lol

Your approved modem list a joke. Oh wow 5 modems are compatible by you? No real data just hearsay. At least there are users trying to get more on this so called approved list. Lol

And in that case, your "test" is a joke because not only do you have to use an attenuators for your modem to work normally which should not be required on a "perfect" signal. But you also handicapped the 7610 by putting a splitter onto your main line and running 2 modems from the same splitter. Of course it's not going to perform optimally with that kind of setup, just like I've been saying.

As for anyone else, you can't say "oh my arris modem works fine so therefore all other arris modems work too" or "this Broadcom chip work fine so that must mean all Broadcom chips work too" What kind of testing is that? When there have been multiple people who insisted that their Arris modem was fine, until they used a different modem and realized just how bad the Arris was. Specifically the SB6183.

So to post here saying that the 7610 is worse than what people are using is misleading and flat out lying because your test is completely invalid due to your line quality and testing methods.

Why would I be lying? my testing methods are legit.  Here are my modem levels with the splitter installed and the RTA attenuator removed with the 7610.  Well withing spec of my ISP and 7610 operating range. So I had an actual cox tech come out and check my lines and I provided exactly what and how I am testing with data.   Why can't you accept not everyone is going to happy with 7610? In end all I am doing is provided my experience with it and wanting to test other modems out to help other users.  

post-10147-0-42495600-1498181953_thumb.jpeg

post-10147-0-42495600-1498181953_thumb.jpeg

Why would I be lying? my testing methods are legit.  Here are my modem levels with the splitter installed and the RTA attenuator removed with the 7610.  Well withing spec of my ISP and 7610 operating range. So I had an actual cox tech come out and check my lines and I provided exactly what and how I am testing with data.   Why can't you accept not everyone is going to happy with 7610? In end all I am doing is provided my experience with it and wanting to test other modems out to help other users.  

I'm not saying you're lying because the modem didn't work for you. I'm saying your test is flawed because not only is your signal an issue if you have to use a splitter or attenuator to drop the signal enough to work, but because you severely nerfed the 7610 by putting on the same line and same splitter as another modem which operates on the same frequencies. So in your very niche and rare case, you didn't get as good results. So to post here saying that the 7610 is worse than what people are using is misleading and flat out lying because your test is completely invalid due to your line quality and testing environment. You can't have a gimped modem and say no it doesn't work it's trash.

But we're not only talking about how much my ping moves by 1ms with X modem vs Y modem. We are talking about functionality of the Netduma here. Sure, lots of modems have low and stable pings. That's their job... But do those modems also work with EVERY feature of the Netduma? NO. And how do I know? Because for months I blamed the Netduma for my ping spikes and internet problems. In the end, only getting rid of all my Arris modems fixed the problem.

Also,

+-5 downstream power is the perfect Docsis 3.0 spec and your SNR is pretty low. So not really within spec. Do you know your upstream noise level? Plus I don't believe a word any "tech" that comes to your house says. He can't measure upstream from your house. Dealing with Comcast for 2 years to fix my line shows the people they hire to do house calls know absolutely nothing. Plugging in a signal meter for 1 minute and checking it provides you with a snapshot of information. But what happens when a problem is intermittent? That shows nothing.

I'm done with this conversation. 10+ people have switched from a different modem to the 7610 (even people who swore that their old modem was fine) and have said it was a night and day difference. You switched and because of your poor setup, it did not perform optimally so your test is good? Not how it works lol

Still kinda hearsay when people just say switching to a different modem isn't really proof. What was there signal levels on there ISP service. They have any splittlers online as well or not? Why no hard data like XSXS has posted. Regardless of splitters used, the modems should operation with in specs with or with out splitters. Again, not everyone can operate a modem with out a splitter. Some users will have both Internet and TV services from there ISP and not a dedicated internet line. All were saying is that not only will the TPLink modem work, others will as well.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20028-new-netduma-user-having-trouble-getting-optimal-settings/page-2?do=findComment&comment=138792

We see no hard data that the TPLink modems are the best. Just user expressed experiences. Which is fine. However hard proof shouldn't be turned away either. Regardless of which modem being used.

Still kinda hearsay when people just say switching to a different modem isn't really proof. What was there signal levels on there ISP service. They have any splittlers online as well or not? Why no hard data like XSXS has posted. Regardless of splitters used, the modems should operation with in specs with or with out splitters. Again, not everyone can operate a modem with out a splitter. Some users will have both Internet and TV services from there ISP and not a dedicated internet line. All were saying is that not only will the TPLink modem work, others will as well.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20028-new-netduma-user-having-trouble-getting-optimal-settings/page-2?do=findComment&comment=138792

We see no hard data that the TPLink modems are the best. Just user expressed experiences. Which is fine. However hard proof shouldn't be turned away either. Regardless of which modem being used.

I guarantee you that I can break your modem with a simple test. Because ALL Arris modems have this bug with the Netduma from what I've tested. Plus, you put in a bad signal, you get bad results... Just like XSXS did in his "test".

Plus the first line on my first post literally says "THIS IS IN NO WAY A FULL LIST OF WORKING/NOT WORKING MODEMS." so obviously I know other modems may work. But the SB6183 is not one of them. I can guarantee you that. To use the idea that X modem has a broadcom chip so all broadcom chips work fine is silly and ignorant.

Wow modbox, you act like I'm trying to discount you and/or anyone elses success with the 7610, which I'm an not. Lets try this again I'm sharing my personal experience with the 7610. Is it a good modern? Yes. Would I recommend other moderns?, yes Would I recommend it? Yes. But I've have better experience with the Cisco. And you know what I just bought another modem to try out to get away from the Cisco cuz i think it's old technology.

Look up signal levels for upstream, lower is better. Meaning my upstream levels are so good that my modem barely needs to "talk" to be heard by the cmts. However if too low you will have packet loss, hence the addition of an RTA to force my modem to speak louder so it is heard by the cmts.

My line quality is fine, just look at my signal levels and plus my neighborhood is only 3 years old. . If any modem can't work within spec than they are no good and not for everyone.

What does breaking modems with a simple test have to do with anything. Seems like ur grabbing at straws now. You'd have to have access to the WAN IP. You say one thing then do nothing to back up. You just expect everyone to take your word for it at face value when there isn't any proof of that.

That's fine however remember TP-Link and Arris use Broadcom chips sets. Only Arris modem that doesn't is the 6190 and we all ready know that's a big problem and were all avoiding that one. The other Arris modems have already been tested and are not as effected as the 6190.

All the years I've been using Motorola and now the Arris 6183, Been nothing but solid modems. I'm sure TP-Link has good modems too. Again, Not all ISP support TP-LInk as some don't even support Arris. Again, the 6183 works just fine with the R1. Just play BO2 and BO3 tonite. Stellar game play as side a few others that could seem to keep it together.

I'm sure TP-Link modems are just fine. So are Arris modems. Why your overly biased and unwilling to let someone else say that Arris works for them with the R1 is beyond me when it does. Just another modem is all. Just a modem.