iAmMoDBoX

Yeah it will always stay on the bad list, along with every other modem that has an Intel Puma 6 chip. I don't care what updates they do or what tests people run, the chip sucks and I will not encourage anyone to buy garbage. Besides that it's made by Arris, which has a bad enough track record with me.

Sounds pretty bais but that is to be expected. 

Works great for me!!

Works great for me!!

Not biased at all, just common sense. You can't fix a hardware problem with software. You can only put a bandaid on it as a patch job to cover it up. But the problem is still there, you're just dancing around it.

Some great info just posted above this. You should definitely read it.

The fix you got WAS significant however. It fixed DNS lookups. Your old version of firmware lost 7-15% of ALL dns look ups. This was terrible. Thats fixed now.

What this update did tho was HIDE the spikes so you cant see them with ICMP Ping and common tools based on ping.

You need a Broadcom based modem.

The fix you got WAS significant however. It fixed DNS lookups. Your old version of firmware lost 7-15% of ALL dns look ups. This was terrible. Thats fixed now.

What this update did tho was HIDE the spikes so you cant see them with ICMP Ping and common tools based on ping.

And just the fact that Arris is doing this just to make it appear that the problem is fixed just shows how shady they are and I would never buy another Arris modem again.

Works great for me!!

Just to add on to what I said before...

It's the same reason why the R1 can't handle very high bandwidth well. It's hardware flaws which cannot be fixed through software. Not bashing the router in any way.

I would like to know how you know what the updates did and how they are "hiding" the spikes?

I would call it cosmetic. I would know.

You have your Pingplotter set for ICMP.. This is a mistake.. It needs to be set for TCP. AIm it at google.com and set the interval for 0.05... And the spike will be very clear indeed..

You see... There is no Intel Puma, 5,6 or 7 that has been fixed in any country in the world on any ISP..

The press looks to me for updates on this matter. So I can be considered a verifiable reference.

For gaming, EVERY MODEM ON THIS LIST SHOULD BE CONSIDERED CRAP UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

I have a web site and it has a "is it fixed" link I will update once a version of firmware is available that might, or might not, fix the issue. http://badmodems.com/

This video shows the most recent firmware and has TCP and ICMP pingplotters running at the same time.

^^^ this. Mods can you replace the list of modems on this topic with the ones listed on the link above, or post the link above to clarify which modems indefinitely ARE affected by the PUMA 6 issue.

I would like to know how you know what the updates did and how they are "hiding" the spikes?

M8 please take some time and look over the data and information xymox posted. very insightful on the negative effects PUMA 6 chip has on these modems.

LOL yes I did 0.3? wow did it and yes any modem will have issues with that setting.

Yeah because data is only sent at 2.5 second intervals on the internet :rolls eyes:

LOL yes I did 0.3? wow did it and yes any modem will have issues with that setting.

LOL... Wow.. Your not the brightest bulb in the shed.. You know right im guy who forced Intel to admit there are still issues right, developing tests with pingplotter no one had done before ? You know im the guy quoted in press on this issue right  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/Im the guy in the class action lawsuit who did the tests, you know that right ? http://badmodems.com/Files/arriscomplaint.pdf

You know Intel has OFFICIALLY acknowledged there is still a issue with Puma 5/6/7 right https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion~start=5788

Im not sure you could find anyone on the internet more versed on this issue besides me. WELL,, Its been a team effort of course with a core set of people on DSLR.

And NOOOO to answer your question, ONLY Intel modems have issues with .3.. I do all my testing at 0.05. 100 pings a second is a good temporal resolution. I have chart after chart showing modems going back 15 years that do this just fine..

Here im doing a direct A/B with a 14 YEAR OLD DOCSIS 2 modem at 0.1 THREE TIMES FASTER THEN .3. I swap modems in the middle of the graph.

5120vs6190.gif

LOL... Wow.. Your not the brightest bulb in the shed.. You know right im guy who forced Intel to admit there are still issues right, developing tests with pingplotter no one had done before ? You know im the guy quoted in press on this issue right  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/Im the guy in the class action lawsuit who did the tests, you know that right ? http://badmodems.com/Files/arriscomplaint.pdf

You know Intel has OFFICIALLY acknowledged there is still a issue with Puma 5/6/7 right https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion~start=5788

Im not sure you could find anyone on the internet more versed on this issue besides me. WELL,, Its been a team effort of course with a core set of people on DSLR.

And NOOOO to answer your question, ONLY Intel modems have issues with .3.. I do all my testing at 0.05. 100 pings a second is a good temporal resolution. I have chart after chart showing modems going back 15 years that do this just fine..

Here im doing a direct A/B with a 14 YEAR OLD DOCSIS 2 modem at 0.1 THREE TIMES FASTER THEN .3. I swap modems in the middle of the graph.

5120vs6190.gif

Thank you.

Or maybe you prefer to look at a mode modern modem test... Here is a SB8200. TCP. at 0.1 for 12 hours... Not a spike in sight.

SB820012hrsTCP.gif

I still don't like Arris anymore though

Intel Puma based devices are currently crap. They *might* be fixable. However thats looking pretty doubtful. Would I personally EVER use them for gaming - hellz no..

I do, respectfully, disagree with some of the modems listed on this site as bad however. But. I defer to someone who has direct testing experience with the device being used, the Netduma. So I am staying neutral. This is a list of known good modems, tested and supported with the Netduma. Im great with that approach. However I think the list could well expand to include Arris devices Like the SB8200. The SB8200 has the lowest latency ive ever tested and the lowest jitter. However, I suppose there might be some weirdness with the Netduma and the modem. However I use Mikrotik CCR1036 so I use RouterOS and it works awesome with the SB8200.

I respect your decision. But from a testing standpoint, the SB8200 *might* be one of the best gaming modems ever made. I stress *might*..

It's too early to tell. 3.1 isn't available here for me to personally test it, but again I just don't like Arris anymore after all the testing I've done as well as their patch job to "fix" the Puma 6

May I ask which modems are on the list that you disagree with? Almost all of them were taken from lists on DSLR which are using Puma 6's or have been tested by me or members and proven to be crap for gaming and/or with the Netduma

Intel Puma based devices are currently crap. They *might* be fixable. However thats looking pretty doubtful. Would I personally EVER use them for gaming - hellz no..

I do, respectfully, disagree with some of the modems listed on this site as bad however. But. I defer to someone who has direct testing experience with the device being used, the Netduma. So I am staying neutral. This is a list of known good modems, tested and supported with the Netduma. Im great with that approach. However I think the list could well expand to include Arris devices Like the SB8200. The SB8200 has the lowest latency ive ever tested and the lowest jitter. However, I suppose there might be some weirdness with the Netduma and the modem. However I use Mikrotik CCR1036 so I use RouterOS and it works awesome with the SB8200.

You are the man! thanks for your expertise on the modem issues.   

Also. This just in....

Issues are confirmed to be present on Intel Puma 5, Puma 6 and Puma 7 based modems. This story ran today. There is no fix at this time. This is Intel confirmed. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/09/intel_puma_modem_woes/

Note my list is used in the story as the reference list of modems for this issue.

So to be VERY clear here. The firmware fix you got DID NOT fix the spikes. To be clear no one in the world using this modem has fixed spikes.

You are the man! thanks for your expertise on the modem issues.   

You mean the issue that I've been saying is a problem all along? And you and everyone else is telling me that I'm wrong about. Yeah I know, I'm the expert.

You mean the issue that I've been saying is a problem all along? And you and everyone else is telling me that I'm wrong about. Yeah I know, I'm the expert.

Oh sorry Mod, i was calling Xymox the expert, not you. I read his posts on dslr all the time. The guy is a pro!

Also, I NEVER disagreed with you about the puma chipset.

The only thing we disagreed about was the 7610 being the best modem and how i tested it when I had it.

I think you are good guy and are very helpful though. If you want, you can PM me so we can squash our differences and so we don't derail this thread again

Cheers mate!