Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Gaming Modems

compatible modem modem high ping lag jitter intel puma arris surfboard

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

If you're arguing with me, you're already wrong.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 PM

Get the sb8200 and be done with it.  The 7610 is a very good modem, it is 8x4, it's reliable and tested with duma to be reliable.  The sb8200 is the best out for now and the future.  Arris got their pants pulled down by Xymox.  All eyes on them they made sure the SB8200 was a beast.  I have a duma and a SB8200 and it'

s flawless AND I don't have errors building up over time trying to force my speeds down 8 channels vs. 32.  It's ultimately your choice. At 120Mbps you are a-okay with the 7610 but for how long will you want to stay at 120Mbps ?  Tomorrow you may be upgraded to 600Mbps, what then?

He won't cause comcast doesn't offer it and never will... Go with the 7610 and stay far away from Arris.

If you would like a faster reply, please quote me so I am notified.

mountainping

mountainping

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I have a simple question.  If it has been answered already I hope maybe you can point me into the right direction. With 2 different threads on the same topic one has already been closed since people can't agree and disagree as adults....My question is which MODEM should I purchase TODAY that is compatible with NetDuma R1 router and hopefully other routers as well.  My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity my download is 120mbps and my upload is 5mbps.  Thank you to  you and everyone else for being helpful and supportive.  

SIDE NOTE: My current MODEM is:Arris SB6183

netgear CM600   / CM1000  or

arris sb8200   . if you think your area will eventually get docsis 3.1 then cm1000/SB8200 are 100% perfect for future proofing.

but the cm600 should be more than enough by the looks of your bandwidth plan.

cheers

mountainping

mountainping

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Or maybe you prefer to look at a mode modern modem test... Here is a SB8200. TCP. at 0.1 for 12 hours... Not a spike in sight.

SB820012hrsTCP.gif

LOL you have almost 0 jitter... wish they had your isp out my way 

A7Legit

A7Legit

#DatHitDetection

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local time: 04:05 AM
  • LocationAustralia

I have a question.

I have a Netgear CM450-1TLAUS & Netgear CM500-V cable modems. I have neither plugged in right now but was wondering if anyone knows what chipsets are in them?

Alex49H

Alex49H

Forum Legend

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 AM
  • LocationUSA - Southern California

I have a question.

I have a Netgear CM450-1TLAUS & Netgear CM500-V cable modems. I have neither plugged in right now but was wondering if anyone knows what chipsets are in them?

Ranch flavored Doritos I think. 🤣👊🏼

Just kidding.
Alex49H

e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 PM
  • LocationUSA

https://www.dslrepor...w-Netgear-CM500

Broadcom...

I have a question.

e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUSA

The 6183 is a good modem and works well with the R1. The only Arris modem to stay away from is the SB6190 modem. It's intel based and has the puma 6 chip set problem. The Arris SB8200 is the DOCSIS 3.1 modem and has already deployed on some ISPs and soon as ISPs tests it out, it will be supported on those who approve it it's used. I hear it's also backwards compatible. 

I have a simple question.  If it has been answered already I hope maybe you can point me into the right direction. With 2 different threads on the same topic one has already been closed since people can't agree and disagree as adults....My question is which MODEM should I purchase TODAY that is compatible with NetDuma R1 router and hopefully other routers as well.  My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity my download is 120mbps and my upload is 5mbps.  Thank you to  you and everyone else for being helpful and supportive.  

SIDE NOTE: My current MODEM is:Arris SB6183

gamerukali

gamerukali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 PM

Can someone please tell me best modem for fibre which has no puma 6 issues

e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUSA

What ISP are you using? 

I recommend contacting your ISP. Most Fiber ISP use whats known as a ONT and not a actual modem. Most Fiber services required there own HW and is provided by the ISP. ONTs are not effected by the Puma 6 issue. 

Can someone please tell me best modem for fibre which has no puma 6 issues

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

https://www.theregis...uma_modem_woes/

So like I said, this pretty much covers ALL Arris modems released since 2010 when Intel bought out Texas Instruments to use their chips. Which is why modems like the SB6141 are on the list also.

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

OMG so today I got to try out Comcast gigabit service. What a mess! The modem is an Arris TG3482G, which if you do a google search the first result pretty much explains it. Speed and ping issues like crazy. One second you'll hit 700 Mbps, the next you can barely reach 50 Mbps. Reboot the modem, speeds are back again. Ping shoot up to 3,000 ms randomly. Multiple Comcast techs and I verified that the signals are perfect so that's not an issue. Plus the modem/router only has TWO ethernet ports on it. Who gets gigabit speeds and only runs 2 wired devices to it? What a joke! Lol

TL;DR - Don't get an Arris TG3482G modem for Comcast gigabit. Other gigabit modems may be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compatible modem, modem, high ping, lag, jitter, intel puma, arris, surfboard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users