iAmMoDBoX

I have a simple question.  If it has been answered already I hope maybe you can point me into the right direction. With 2 different threads on the same topic one has already been closed since people can't agree and disagree as adults....My question is which MODEM should I purchase TODAY that is compatible with NetDuma R1 router and hopefully other routers as well.  My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity my download is 120mbps and my upload is 5mbps.  Thank you to  you and everyone else for being helpful and supportive.  

SIDE NOTE: My current MODEM is:Arris SB6183

Also. This just in....

Issues are confirmed to be present on Intel Puma 5, Puma 6 and Puma 7 based modems. This story ran today. There is no fix at this time. This is Intel confirmed. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/09/intel_puma_modem_woes/

Note my list is used in the story as the reference list of modems for this issue.

So to be VERY clear here. The firmware fix you got DID NOT fix the spikes. To be clear no one in the world using this modem has fixed spikes.

Edited by thegaurdian1

I have a simple question.  If it has been answered already I hope maybe you can point me into the right direction. With 2 different threads on the same topic one has already been closed since people can't agree and disagree as adults....My question is which MODEM should I purchase TODAY that is compatible with NetDuma R1 router and hopefully other routers as well.  My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity my download is 120mbps and my upload is 5mbps.  Thank you to  you and everyone else for being helpful and supportive.  

Don't listen to anyone else here, buy the TP-Link TC-7610

Get the sb8200 and be done with it.  The 7610 is a very good modem, it is 8x4, it's reliable and tested with duma to be reliable.  The sb8200 is the best out for now and the future.  Arris got their pants pulled down by Xymox.  All eyes on them they made sure the SB8200 was a beast.  I have a duma and a SB8200 and it'

s flawless AND I don't have errors building up over time trying to force my speeds down 8 channels vs. 32.  It's ultimately your choice. At 120Mbps you are a-okay with the 7610 but for how long will you want to stay at 120Mbps ?  Tomorrow you may be upgraded to 600Mbps, what then?

Get the sb8200 and be done with it.  The 7610 is a very good modem, it is 8x4, it's reliable and tested with duma to be reliable.  The sb8200 is the best out for now and the future.  Arris got their pants pulled down by Xymox.  All eyes on them they made sure the SB8200 was a beast.  I have a duma and a SB8200 and it'

s flawless AND I don't have errors building up over time trying to force my speeds down 8 channels vs. 32.  It's ultimately your choice. At 120Mbps you are a-okay with the 7610 but for how long will you want to stay at 120Mbps ?  Tomorrow you may be upgraded to 600Mbps, what then?

He won't cause comcast doesn't offer it and never will... Go with the 7610 and stay far away from Arris.

netgear CM600   / CM1000  or

arris sb8200   . if you think your area will eventually get docsis 3.1 then cm1000/SB8200 are 100% perfect for future proofing.

but the cm600 should be more than enough by the looks of your bandwidth plan.

cheers

The 6183 is a good modem and works well with the R1. The only Arris modem to stay away from is the SB6190 modem. It's intel based and has the puma 6 chip set problem. The Arris SB8200 is the DOCSIS 3.1 modem and has already deployed on some ISPs and soon as ISPs tests it out, it will be supported on those who approve it it's used. I hear it's also backwards compatible. 

What ISP are you using? 

I recommend contacting your ISP. Most Fiber ISP use whats known as a ONT and not a actual modem. Most Fiber services required there own HW and is provided by the ISP. ONTs are not effected by the Puma 6 issue. 

I recommend only using modems on this list as its more up to date and more accurate with information:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

Any Broadcom base modems work great with the R1 router. 

Avoid modems on this list: These are Intel based.

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Can someone please tell me best modem for fibre which has no puma 6 issues

• 4 weeks later...

OMG so today I got to try out Comcast gigabit service. What a mess! The modem is an Arris TG3482G, which if you do a google search the first result pretty much explains it. Speed and ping issues like crazy. One second you'll hit 700 Mbps, the next you can barely reach 50 Mbps. Reboot the modem, speeds are back again. Ping shoot up to 3,000 ms randomly. Multiple Comcast techs and I verified that the signals are perfect so that's not an issue. Plus the modem/router only has TWO ethernet ports on it. Who gets gigabit speeds and only runs 2 wired devices to it? What a joke! Lol

TL;DR - Don't get an Arris TG3482G modem for Comcast gigabit. Other gigabit modems may be fine.

• 4 months later...

As long as the modem has Ethernet and can be bridged to allow the NetDuma router to handle PPPoE connections, or if the modem can't be bridged, the modem should have a DMZ to place the NetDuma router into, most DSL modems will be fine.

Just ensure that single on the phone lines between the modem and ISP services are to spec and have good quality signal. 

What dsl modem compatible with netduma?

Puma 6 and 7 is mostly Cable modems. Not sure if DSL is using those specific chip sets. 

A Netgear DSL modem will work with the R1. However, I would check with your ISP service to see what they officially support. Some ISPs only allow certain model modems. 

DSL is over phone lines.  ;)

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23764-pppoe/?do=findComment&comment=172056

• 4 weeks later...

currently have spectrum internet (300+ mbps down /20+mbps up) using a ARRIS TM1602 been using it for a few years now and always notice a bit of lag and ping spikes.. after some research  and comparing to your "good" list with my ISP my only options seem to be the TC7610 or the TC7610E .. 

what is the difference between the two?
and would It be in my best interest to downgrade my service to the 100mbps package if im taking this route?

currently have spectrum internet (300+ mbps down /20+mbps up) using a ARRIS TM1602 been using it for a few years now and always notice a bit of lag and ping spikes.. after some research  and comparing to your "good" list with my ISP my only options seem to be the TC7610 or the TC7610E .. 

what is the difference between the two?

and would It be in my best interest to downgrade my service to the 100mbps package if im taking this route?

The difference is the packaging... One is a retail box and one is a brown box

Also, yes... More speed isn't always better

The difference is the packaging... One is a retail box and one is a brown box

Also, yes... More speed isn't always better

my ISP tells me this router only supports 100mbps but the product info says over 300... is there more they aren't telling me?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TC-7610-Download-343Mbps-Certified/dp/B010Q29YF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519783893&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+7610

my ISP tells me this router only supports 100mbps but the product info says over 300... is there more they aren't telling me?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TC-7610-Download-343Mbps-Certified/dp/B010Q29YF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519783893&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+7610

ISP limits it for no reason at all... I use it for 300 down on Comcast