Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Gaming Modems

compatible modem modem high ping lag jitter intel puma arris surfboard

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Local time: 06:49 PM

Very strange. I don't see how so many modems can be incompatible with the router. When a late majority of people have the modems in the incompatible list. Maybe most that are in the compatible list are used by uk isp's possibly?

Most of those modems use the Intel Puma chipset which is broken. Has nothing to do with this router.

If you would like a faster reply, please quote me so I am notified.

mountainping

mountainping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

There is the Motorola MB 7420 which is 16x4. Might see if your ISP supports it.
The 6183 works as well as a 16x4 modem.

Isn't 6183 in the incompatible list, have you used with the netduma before?

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Isn't 6183 in the incompatible list, have you used with the netduma before?

Yeah... don't pay attention to him.

mountainping

mountainping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Most of those modems use the Intel Puma chipset which is broken. Has nothing to do with this router.

A large portion of those modems are broadcom.. which is why I'm confused as to why they are there. and to be frank those modems With intel puma aren't incompatible, they're just trash modems all together especially for latency sensitive applications. I can see how the puma is deemed as incompatible though since it would completely bypass any latency features the router has ...

mountainping

mountainping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Yeah... don't pay attention to him.

so I assume by this you mean 6183 is ok to use with Duma without any issues?

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

so I assume by this you mean 6183 is ok to use with Duma without any issues?

No I mean he hasn't tried any other modem except for the 6183 and claims it's the best with no issues... But he doesn't know if he has issues cause he hasn't tried anything else. Basically just a troll who's here to disagree with whatever anyone here says. Pay no attention to him.

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 PM

No I mean he hasn't tried any other modem except for the 6183 and claims it's the best with no issues... But he doesn't know if he has issues cause he hasn't tried anything else. Basically just a troll who's here to disagree with whatever anyone here says. Pay no attention to him.

He is not a troll or claims the 6183 is the best. You are the only person here saying one modem is the absolute best. All he is saying is that he uses the 6183 with good results, that's all. I don't know why you have a deal with any one stating that they are having good results using other modems with the R1.
I think we are all here trying to help fellow users, no one is a troll here. We are just disagreeing due are OWN experiences.

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,146 posts
  • Local time: 11:49 PM
  • LocationUK

Mod Box do you think the title should be renamed to low latency modems and point out the others have either the puma 6 CPU or another bad chipset to stop the confusion?

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Mod Box do you think the title should be renamed to low latency modems and point out the others have either the puma 6 CPU or another bad chipset to stop the confusion?

Something along the lines of best gaming modem

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,146 posts
  • LocationUK

I have renamed it  Best Gaming Modems , just let me or any other mod's know if you want to call it something else.

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

I have renamed it  Best Gaming Modems , just let me or any other mod's know if you want to call it something else.

That'll work for today, until someone else has a problem with it lol

I updated the main post also

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 2,146 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Maybe most that are in the compatible list are used by uk isp's possibly?

It's got nothing to do with modems frequently used in the UK, most UK ISPs don't even provide a modem. They provide useless all-in-one hubs which we often replace ourselves.

And most of the 'Best' list are not UK specific modems either, I've never even known anyone that had any of them in the UK.

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

fuzzy clam

fuzzy clam

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationUS - Michigan

I have pointed so many people to the article you posted Z about the Puma chipset and the issues with it.

And the thing is pinned for all to see but people continue to either A... ignore it or  B...don't believe it.

It's to bad when MoD is just trying to give people the heads up and share his experience with all the modems he's used and the issues he's had with said modems.

It would be screwed up to have to lock this HELP thread due to people getting out of hand...it's a helpful thread to most from a legit guy sharing his experiences and trying to help others...SMH

frustrated I just got a new NETDUMA, and I can't connect, how do I get the password for the Wi-Fi

:P

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 PM

I have pointed so many people to the article you posted Z about the Puma chipset and the issues with it.

And the thing is pinned for all to see but people continue to either A... ignore it or B...don't believe it.

It's to bad when MoD is just trying to give people the heads up and share his experience with all the modems he's used and the issues he's had with said modems.

It would be screwed up to have to lock this HELP thread due to people getting out of hand...it's a helpful thread to most from a legit guy sharing his experiences and trying to help others...SMH

Hmm I am pretty sure everyone for the most part is doing that exact same thing, sharing their OWN experiences with modems they have used with the R1. No reason to lock this thread, it got heated there for awhile but has since calmed down except for some recent name calling.

It is bad when there other honest R1 owners trying to help out but since they are not part of the good ole boys club their opinion is quickly shunned and don't know what they are talking about.

At the end of the day even though the 7610 did not work out for me i still recommend it to other users. Because i am the minority and not ignorant of the fact something could have been a miss when i tested.

You have to realize if a potential buyer is considering buying the R1 and sees this thread stating only 5 modems work with it. They may not buy it, actually if i saw this that before i purchased mine, i never would have.
Also the fact some people don't have money to buy a new modem even if it is only $40.
I agree the puma modems are junk and would not ever buy one but lets try and help the users if they are stuck with one.

Right now I'm using the Motorola mb7220 with real good results but have yet to post any data because the good ole boy club would say i don't know what I'm talking about and that right there is sad. Especially since no one here knows my technical or gaming background.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 14,979 posts

Can we all behave like adults please? This is a support forum to help people. Under my post I don't want anymore high school behaviour otherwise the ban hammer is going to make an appearance. If your post isn't about a modem I don't want to see it here.

Technical support:

Optimal Settings Guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc. 

FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.

Knowledge Base - Main link to the Knowledge Base, for everything else please search here or on the forum. 

Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compatible modem, modem, high ping, lag, jitter, intel puma, arris, surfboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users