Jump to content

Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Gaming Modems [Opinions]

compatible modem modem high ping lag jitter intel puma arris surfboard

  • Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#121
iAmMoDBoX

iAmMoDBoX

    argument-jedi-mindshitter

  • Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM

Why would I be lying? my testing methods are legit.  Here are my modem levels with the splitter installed and the RTA attenuator removed with the 7610.  Well withing spec of my ISP and 7610 operating range. So I had an actual cox tech come out and check my lines and I provided exactly what and how I am testing with data.   Why can't you accept not everyone is going to happy with 7610? In end all I am doing is provided my experience with it and wanting to test other modems out to help other users.  

 

I'm not saying you're lying because the modem didn't work for you. I'm saying your test is flawed because not only is your signal an issue if you have to use a splitter or attenuator to drop the signal enough to work, but because you severely nerfed the 7610 by putting on the same line and same splitter as another modem which operates on the same frequencies. So in your very niche and rare case, you didn't get as good results. So to post here saying that the 7610 is worse than what people are using is misleading and flat out lying because your test is completely invalid due to your line quality and testing environment. You can't have a gimped modem and say no it doesn't work it's trash.

 

But we're not only talking about how much my ping moves by 1ms with X modem vs Y modem. We are talking about functionality of the Netduma here. Sure, lots of modems have low and stable pings. That's their job... But do those modems also work with EVERY feature of the Netduma? NO. And how do I know? Because for months I blamed the Netduma for my ping spikes and internet problems. In the end, only getting rid of all my Arris modems fixed the problem.

 

Also,

 

+-5 downstream power is the perfect Docsis 3.0 spec and your SNR is pretty low. So not really within spec. Do you know your upstream noise level? Plus I don't believe a word any "tech" that comes to your house says. He can't measure upstream from your house. Dealing with Comcast for 2 years to fix my line shows the people they hire to do house calls know absolutely nothing. Plugging in a signal meter for 1 minute and checking it provides you with a snapshot of information. But what happens when a problem is intermittent? That shows nothing.

 

I'm done with this conversation. 10+ people have switched from a different modem to the 7610 (even people who swore that their old modem was fine) and have said it was a night and day difference. You switched and because of your poor setup, it did not perform optimally so your test is good? Not how it works lol


Posted Image


Posted Image


#122
e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • LocationUSA

Still kinda hearsay when people just say switching to a different modem isn't really proof. What was there signal levels on there ISP service. They have any splittlers online as well or not? Why no hard data like XSXS has posted. Regardless of splitters used, the modems should operation with in specs with or with out splitters. Again, not everyone can operate a modem with out a splitter. Some users will have both Internet and TV services from there ISP and not a dedicated internet line. All were saying is that not only will the TPLink modem work, others will as well.

http://forum.netduma...e-2#entry138792

 

We see no hard data that the TPLink modems are the best. Just user expressed experiences. Which is fine. However hard proof shouldn't be turned away either. Regardless of which modem being used.



#123
iAmMoDBoX

iAmMoDBoX

    argument-jedi-mindshitter

  • Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM

Still kinda hearsay when people just say switching to a different modem isn't really proof. What was there signal levels on there ISP service. They have any splittlers online as well or not? Why no hard data like XSXS has posted. Regardless of splitters used, the modems should operation with in specs with or with out splitters. Again, not everyone can operate a modem with out a splitter. Some users will have both Internet and TV services from there ISP and not a dedicated internet line. All were saying is that not only will the TPLink modem work, others will as well.

http://forum.netduma...e-2#entry138792

 

We see no hard data that the TPLink modems are the best. Just user expressed experiences. Which is fine. However hard proof shouldn't be turned away either. Regardless of which modem being used.

 

I guarantee you that I can break your modem with a simple test. Because ALL Arris modems have this bug with the Netduma from what I've tested. Plus, you put in a bad signal, you get bad results... Just like XSXS did in his "test".

 

Plus the first line on my first post literally says "THIS IS IN NO WAY A FULL LIST OF WORKING/NOT WORKING MODEMS." so obviously I know other modems may work. But the SB6183 is not one of them. I can guarantee you that. To use the idea that X modem has a broadcom chip so all broadcom chips work fine is silly and ignorant.


Posted Image


Posted Image


#124
XSXS

XSXS

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
  • LocationAZ
Wow modbox, you act like I'm trying to discount you and/or anyone elses success with the 7610, which I'm an not. Lets try this again I'm sharing my personal experience with the 7610. Is it a good modern? Yes. Would I recommend other moderns?, yes Would I recommend it? Yes. But I've have better experience with the Cisco. And you know what I just bought another modem to try out to get away from the Cisco cuz i think it's old technology.

Look up signal levels for upstream, lower is better. Meaning my upstream levels are so good that my modem barely needs to "talk" to be heard by the cmts. However if too low you will have packet loss, hence the addition of an RTA to force my modem to speak louder so it is heard by the cmts.

My line quality is fine, just look at my signal levels and plus my neighborhood is only 3 years old. . If any modem can't work within spec than they are no good and not for everyone.

#125
e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • LocationUSA

What does breaking modems with a simple test have to do with anything. Seems like ur grabbing at straws now. You'd have to have access to the WAN IP. You say one thing then do nothing to back up. You just expect everyone to take your word for it at face value when there isn't any proof of that.

 

That's fine however remember TP-Link and Arris use Broadcom chips sets. Only Arris modem that doesn't is the 6190 and we all ready know that's a big problem and were all avoiding that one. The other Arris modems have already been tested and are not as effected as the 6190.

 

 

 

All the years I've been using Motorola and now the Arris 6183, Been nothing but solid modems. I'm sure TP-Link has good modems too. Again, Not all ISP support TP-LInk as some don't even support Arris. Again, the 6183 works just fine with the R1. Just play BO2 and BO3 tonite. Stellar game play as side a few others that could seem to keep it together.

 

I'm sure TP-Link modems are just fine. So are Arris modems. Why your overly biased and unwilling to let someone else say that Arris works for them with the R1 is beyond me when it does. Just another modem is all. Just a modem.



#126
iAmMoDBoX

iAmMoDBoX

    argument-jedi-mindshitter

  • Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM

I no longer reply to ignorant people who don't understand that this thread is about how modems work with the Netduma, not how the modem works on it's own. What good is a modem that has 1 ms less jitter but breaks features on our router? If anyone is looking to buy a cable modem and wants to guarantee the best gaming experience, don't listen to what other people have posted here. Refer to the first post in this thread.


Posted Image


Posted Image


#127
FQs19

FQs19

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • LocationAldan, Pennsylvania

If anyone wants to find out how bad their modem really is, just go to this website - http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6, let it find a server closest to you, then when your line is idle and no one is using it, hit start. It will ping a server in rapid succession. If you see any RED appear in the results, the modem you're using is affected by a bad chipset design. You will have issues playing any online game. 

Don't test just once though. Test a couple times and enter different server numbers in the Server box. Sometimes the server it chose to use has issues. 

 

This is a photo of both the bad and good results:

 

1498220913-U1511.jpg

You shouldn't see any RED

If you only see a couple dots of RED then try a different server. 

 

This is a photo of my TP Link TC-7610 modem test results:

 

1498221123-U1511.jpg


33658679.pngSuper Turbo Mode

  Fios G1100 Gateway  >  Netduma R1 > LAN devices                 TV = LG OLED55C7P 55"    AVR = Yamaha RX-A3070

> Consoles                             

> Asus RT-AC87U (wifi)         

        > LAN Devices     


#128
e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • LocationUSA

The puma 6 test is for Intel Puma 6 based modems:

https://www.dslrepor...16&typ=hardware

It's only the problem of the Intel puma 6 based modems that this problem exists. 

 

All other non-Intel based modems will and or should be green of course. 



#129
FQs19

FQs19

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • LocationAldan, Pennsylvania

The puma 6 test is for Intel Puma 6 based modems:
https://www.dslrepor...16&typ=hardware
It's only the problem of the Intel puma 6 based modems that this problem exists.

All other non-Intel based modems will and or should be green of course.


Yes it was designed with Puma 6 chipsets in mind but you can run it with any modem.

I run it with every modem i have and if I see red consistently then i replace the modem because it obviously has a problem.
Just because some modems don't have the Puma 6 chipset doesn't mean that it will pass the test.

33658679.pngSuper Turbo Mode

  Fios G1100 Gateway  >  Netduma R1 > LAN devices                 TV = LG OLED55C7P 55"    AVR = Yamaha RX-A3070

> Consoles                             

> Asus RT-AC87U (wifi)         

        > LAN Devices     


#130
e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • LocationUSA

May also be a ISP service issue as well. Not only a modem issue if red shows up. 



#131
FQs19

FQs19

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • LocationAldan, Pennsylvania

May also be a ISP service issue as well. Not only a modem issue if red shows up.


True.
If i get all green with one modem then switch to another and rerun the test, it should be green as well. If not, the modem is bad.
Of course you must restart all equipment before testing the new modem.

33658679.pngSuper Turbo Mode

  Fios G1100 Gateway  >  Netduma R1 > LAN devices                 TV = LG OLED55C7P 55"    AVR = Yamaha RX-A3070

> Consoles                             

> Asus RT-AC87U (wifi)         

        > LAN Devices     


#132
e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • LocationUSA

Yep. ISP signal is important for sure. People sometimes fail and over look this and don't see pass the router or modem and blame those items mostly when troubleshooting. ISP signal should be check always first off. Then go from there. 



#133
Mr.Stallion0013

Mr.Stallion0013

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there?

#134
Mr.Stallion0013

Mr.Stallion0013

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there?

#135
e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • LocationUSA

I believe the TC-7610 will work just fine for those speeds. I'd check with your ISP to ensure it's fully supported.

Ensure your signals are good for any mode you get connected.

 

Even the Most 8x4 modems can handle up to 300Mb each way. Beyond that you'll need a 16x4 modem and upwards if your isp speeds get faster then 300Mb. The Arris 6183 is 16x4 along with the TC-7620 and Motorola's MB7420.

http://forum.netduma...e-5#entry151622

 

Keep away from the Arris SB6190 and any Intel based modem.
There's a list here to be aware of:

https://www.dslrepor...orum/r31134484-

 

I've done my own testing with the R1 and Motorola's SB6121, 6180 and Arris 6183 work just fine with the R1 router. If your ISP supports TPLink, then by all means check it out. I won't be biased against it as others may think. :D

 

Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there



#136
FQs19

FQs19

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • LocationAldan, Pennsylvania

Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there?


I've have the 7610 and can get 240 down easily.
It will work fine for you.

33658679.pngSuper Turbo Mode

  Fios G1100 Gateway  >  Netduma R1 > LAN devices                 TV = LG OLED55C7P 55"    AVR = Yamaha RX-A3070

> Consoles                             

> Asus RT-AC87U (wifi)         

        > LAN Devices     


#137
Mr.Stallion0013

Mr.Stallion0013

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

#138
iAmMoDBoX

iAmMoDBoX

    argument-jedi-mindshitter

  • Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM

Any advice on a good modem for Xfinity with 200mbs download. I see the to link 7610 is only 150 mbps for cable. Or is the 7610 still better than what else is out there?

 

I use the 7610 on Comcast with those speeds fine. I wouldn't go with any other modem.


Posted Image


Posted Image


#139
XSXS

XSXS

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
  • LocationAZ

Thanks for the quick replies.


I agree with bimmer but keep. In mind if you do go with an 8x4 modem and have speed bandwidth issues your isp will blame your modem even if they are at fault.

#140
Mr.Stallion0013

Mr.Stallion0013

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
With Comcast they blame you even if it's there equipment ha-ha





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compatible modem, modem, high ping, lag, jitter, intel puma, arris, surfboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users