iAmMoDBoX

5 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Correct if the 7620 is in the bad list I would for sure stay away from it.. Anything with a puma chipset.. Specially if your a gamer.. Most cable companies are now or have deployed DOCSIS 3.1. And if deployed proper and dialed in correctly you would benefit from it.. But if you would rather play it safe then I would understand your reasoning in keeping with DOCSIS 3.0 modems..

So it’s a safe bet to look at the approved modems that Spectrum offers for my 200/10 speeds, & go with one of those as long as it’s not on the bad boy list? Assuming if they recommend it, it’ll be at least the 16x4 channel version for the speeds? Do I really need 24x4 or is 16x4 plenty?

22 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

So it’s a safe bet to look at the approved modems that Spectrum offers for my 200/10 speeds, & go with one of those as long as it’s not on the bad boy list? Assuming if they recommend it, it’ll be at least the 16x4 channel version for the speeds? Do I really need 24x4 or is 16x4 plenty?

It would be safe to look at Spectrums approved list of modems. But also do your homework to make sure it doesn't have a puma6 chipset. Because for some odd reason Spectrum and other cable providers are still giving out modems with the puma6 chipset.. Likely because most people wouldn't notice there is an issue. But if your a gamer you would notice right away with very poor gameplay riddled with jitter and ping spikes. A 16x4 modem would be plenty for your speeds. But the more channels one has the better flexibility one has when congestion in Spectrums network becomes congested.. Hope what im trying to tell you makes sense and not confusing you..  The modem you currently have seems to be doing a good job right? and that's a 8x4?

Check with your ISP to see what they support as far as DOCSIS 3 or 3.1. 

The 7620 is NOT on the bad modems list and is Broadcom based. 

If the ISP will still allow the 7610 on there system at the supported speed, then keep it. However when you upgrade speeds, you'll probably need to upgrade your modem to 24 or 32 channel or DOCSIS 3.1 supporting modems at that point. 

On 6/20/2017 at 9:53 PM, iAmMoDBoX said:

Every ISP supports the 7610 without a problem. The problem comes when you try to go over 100 Mbps plan with Time Warner/Spectrum because they put an artificial limit on 8x4 modems. So the simple solution is to not go over 100 Mbps because 1) you're trying to optimize your gaming experience 2) 100 Mbps is completely overkill for any game. I'll trade speed for stable ping any day, thanks.

So I just saw this from previous post from ModBox.......so according to this, I should go with more channels???

4 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Check with your ISP to see what they support as far as DOCSIS 3 or 3.1. 

The 7620 is NOT on the bad modems list and is Broadcom based. 

If the ISP will still allow the 7610 on there system at the supported speed, then keep it. However when you upgrade speeds, you'll probably need to upgrade your modem to 24 or 32 channel or DOCSIS 3.1 supporting modems at that point. 

The 7610 is not on the approved list for speeds of 200/10, which I currently have (it’s the lowest tier now unfortunately). It is on the approved list for speeds of up to 100/10.....I used it anyways because I wanted to see if it still worked since it’s a great modem & I didn’t want to use their supplied, free modem. “Seems” to be working fine but was a little weary since it’s not approved for my current speeds. 

Then the 7620 would be supported if that model is on there list. Also the Arris 6183 is a good modem as well. Also a broadcom modem. Only if your wanting to increase your speeds. 

Again if your happy with what you have, then keep it. If you wanting to go with 200/10, then the 7620 or the 6183 will work just fine. I have the 6183 and a 7420 and they both work find on my 200/10 ISP service. However I have two games on my system and do lots of streaming so 200/10 is needed for my needs. 

1 minute ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Then the 7620 would be supported if that model is on there list. Also the Arris 6183 is a good modem as well. Also a broadcom modem. Only if your wanting to increase your speeds. 

Again if your happy with what you have, then keep it. If you wanting to go with 200/10, then the 7620 or the 6183 will work just fine. I have the 6183 and a 7420 and they both work find on my 200/10 ISP service. However I have two games on my system and do lots of streaming so 200/10 is needed for my needs. 

I already have 200/10.....I’m stuck with that. I forgot to mention im getting full speeds (actually 210/11) when I have sliders on the duma set to 100. So, I feel as though I don’t need to upgrade as this seems capable. But just wanted to be certain since there may be hidden problems if it’s not “considered” compatible due to speeds. 

Personally if Spectrum in your area is using DOCSIS 3.1 then I would buy a modem that is DOCSIS 3.1. Just my two cents.. The more channels you have to bond the better. In time everyone will have to have a 3.1 modem. We use to own the cable company here and have sold out to Charter Spectrum. And DOCSIS 3.1 is what I would go with as long as Spectrum will allow you to have it.. This varies by location and what is allowed by Spectrum in your area..

Overall you'll be fine with what you have going. If your ISP is supporting the speeds and modem currently then keep it. Just know that they may require you to go with a newer model modem that supports more channels. As time goes one, older 4x4 or 8x4 modems will no longer be supported as ISPs will improve there systems for faster speeds that support higher channels, 24 and 32 and DOCSIS 3.1 is becoming the norm going forward. So for now, if your getting to spec speeds with the 7610, and your ISP lets you use it, then keep it going. Just keep in mind, any changes in the future may require a different modem capabilities. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, mambarino said:

Hey ModBox! I fully trust your opinion on this as investing in a TP-Link modem was easily one of my best purchases. Can I please have a recommendation on what modem to use for a gigabit cable connection? Thanks.

MB8600-- Motorola. I use this one and haven't had any issues with issues. Just a suggestion.

https://www.mbreviews.com/arris-sb8200-vs-motorola-mb8600/

9 hours ago, mambarino said:

Hey ModBox! I fully trust your opinion on this as investing in a TP-Link modem was easily one of my best purchases. Can I please have a recommendation on what modem to use for a gigabit cable connection? Thanks.

NetGear CM1100 is a good modem. Broadcom based and Zero issues with it. Just another suggestion. Also check with your ISP to see what they support for BYOM.

• 4 months later...
Just now, dizzeespellz said:

I'm on a BT Homehub and can't handle the spiking any longer 😕
I'm from the uk and not sure what to purchase
Can someone point me in the right direction

Unusual for a HH to spike, it would be handy if you download and run PingPlotter so we can see what is happening as it may be something else that is the cause and buying a new modem might not solve it.

If it is a router issue I would first check what cabinet type you are on, scroll down to the bottom of the page to find yours Cabinet types

Below are modem suggestion you would need to plug it into your Netduma product to get routing.

The buy a modem with a matching chipset for the best compatibility

My cabinet is a Hauwei (Broadcom chipset) I use the Hauwei HG612 (there are other Broadcom modems)

For an ECI cabinet that uses the Lantiq chipset there is an ECI modem or the Draytek Vigor 130

It's only when watching any online video on another device, it causes a console to spike to 100> ms
Also UPNP or manual port forwading is not working
Maybe I've just not set things up properly if the BT Homehub should be fine?

Just now, Netduma Alex said:

Oh well if the spiking is occurring because of other devices in the house, the anti-bufferbloat options in DumaOS might be able to sort that out.

Yes to this, dizzeespellz have you set up congestion control correctly?

How to Congestion Control

• 5 months later...
On 4/2/2017 at 3:56 PM, iAmMoDBoX said:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7000.aspx

Incompatibility means you will either get massive ping spikes, speed slow downs, router rebooting, some devices ignoring congestion control settings...

Most of these modems I've gather from lists that show them using the buggy Intel Puma 6 chipset. You want to stay far away from that mess.

The CM600 is powered by the Broadcom BCM3384 

• 2 years later...

@@zennon

Im about to buy an asus router  i thinki wanted some advice

I used to use a fastpath profile about 8ys ago on adsl2 i  think i an now on fttc  i think its vdel or vdsl2  not sue tbh

Had it on a 9db  profile it was brilkiant for cod  mw2  bo1 

Easy mode  when i used this

I nkow if i buy a modem or router that supports g .inp   you can turn off inteleaved 

I already own a huawei hg612 modem this ueses g .inp 

But i think in somd  modems or router  you can   change the snr margings  as far as im aware  i really wanna be able to do this 

As i know from from years ago talktalk did this for me znd it made cod  easy mode for me  my isp changed the  db for me

I tried 4 diffrent snr  

I think it was 15db  not good  12db not good  9db godly and 6db  no good

This was years ago kn my older propety but i would love to be able to change the  dnr i think its called  or line stablisation i think it s called in assus routers

I just wandred can asus routers do this if not asus   the brand fosent matter to me

Atm my huawei 612  modem   uses g.inp  so interleaved is turned off  

I was gonna buy the asus ac88u but i just read it dosent support line stablistioln i think  

I read this from asus support from 2020 articei was thinking about buy i think its called asus rt ax88u  but its really expensive   i dont wanna waste  my money if i cant do change the snr to diffrent  dbs manually

@kinelMake sure the ISP service lines are in good condition and operating at ISP specs first and foremost. Have the ISP check all lines and signals up to the mode you end up with. Work with the ISPs for signal and line issues and such on that side of the fence. Modem only device is recommended if you get a external router.

Refer to ASUS forums and support site for help and information regarding there products. 

On 9/30/2022 at 5:02 PM, kinel said:

@@zennon

Im about to buy an asus router  i thinki wanted some advice

I used to use a fastpath profile about 8ys ago on adsl2 i  think i an now on fttc  i think its vdel or vdsl2  not sue tbh

Had it on a 9db  profile it was brilkiant for cod  mw2  bo1 

Easy mode  when i used this

I nkow if i buy a modem or router that supports g .inp   you can turn off inteleaved 

I already own a huawei hg612 modem this ueses g .inp 

But i think in somd  modems or router  you can   change the snr margings  as far as im aware  i really wanna be able to do this 

As i know from from years ago talktalk did this for me znd it made cod  easy mode for me  my isp changed the  db for me

I tried 4 diffrent snr  

I think it was 15db  not good  12db not good  9db godly and 6db  no good

This was years ago kn my older propety but i would love to be able to change the  dnr i think its called  or line stablisation i think it s called in assus routers

I just wandred can asus routers do this if not asus   the brand fosent matter to me

Atm my huawei 612  modem   uses g.inp  so interleaved is turned off  

I was gonna buy the asus ac88u but i just read it dosent support line stablistioln i think  

I read this from asus support from 2020 articei was thinking about buy i think its called asus rt ax88u  but its really expensive   i dont wanna waste  my money if i cant do change the snr to diffrent  dbs manually

ive had a few of asus modem/routers while on VDSL2. it suffered really badly with random disconnections and messed up DLM. I too also messed with it changing SNR but to no avail as after a reboot the settings would be lost, and id have to do it again and that would also cause another disconnection. ive had the dslac68u and dslac88u also the dsl66u they all pretty much sucked. They were never SIN approved by openreach.

@RedBull2k   i thinj thode models you mentioned    1  of them didnt support g. Inp i  read somwhere  

When you tweaked the snr margin    was that easy to do   in the routers gui or did you have to dio it from telnet i think  its called

I been reading about a  billion modem  8800nl r2 model  that might be gold 

I think its supports g .inp and works on adsl2 but i think its a router  as well

I read you can easily tweak the snr margin on it

Any body ere se this model before   i dont know if its an old model  i just read about it

20 hours ago, kinel said:

i thinj thode models you mentioned    1  of them didnt support g. Inp i  read somwhere  

When you tweaked the snr margin    was that easy to do   in the routers gui or did you have to dio it from telnet i think  its called

My line doesnt support g.Inp so didnt really notice if they did or didnt. off the top of my head you could adjust the snr from within the gui ([-6,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5,6]).

Why has it become inportant to change your SNR have you taken a hit from DLM? apparantly if your changing the snr your end on VDSL2 your going to cause problems for others who are connected to the same cab.

I currently use a netgear DM200 that i purchased for £20 i use stock firmware in bridge mode

Im just trying to recreate  a pastpath profile i used years ago for cod it was godmode yrs agochanging my db to 9db this was done from talktalk forum tech support

Im just trying to research if it can be done

Btw that modem do you know if it has the ability to use g.inp

Redbull  from what ive been reading from ladt night it seems fttc users in uk  

Can only be put on a 6db snr profile its not ajustable  like on adsl

I read this last night from kitz website i think it was called

So that  might be shy when you tried it revertedback

I think you need DLM to decide what is best for your line. Recreating a scenerio from yester year may not give you the desired results.

I dont think it has g.inp

My memory was going back to 2015 i too frequented kitz and overclockers forum

What are your current stats?