Dynamic IP or static IP better for gaming?

Hi, I have a 150/10 cable connection. It is a business plan.

I would have the possibility to change from my current dynamic IP to a static IP. Both work with ipv4 protocol.

At the moment I have a fritzbox modem-router combo and my Netduma is in the dmz of the fritzbox.

I can't put it in bridge mode because I don't have access to the WAN port.

My question would be, if there are any big pros or cons, to change to a static IP?

I just read that changing to static, would disable the router function and then firewall of the fritzbox and then I would have access to the Wan port.

Are there any other benefits, especially for gaming?

I don't need to run a server or anything like that.

Thank you.

• Netduma Staff

As far as I am aware, I don't believe you will see any benefit when gaming on a static IP compared to dynamic - running a server is one of the main benefits, but since you're not I'd say you'd be fine on either.

And the advice I would give to anyone is that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! If you believe you require a static IP for your Fritzbox then we'll help you to set it up, but given that you won't experience better gameplay, I would personally leave those settings alone.

Thanks for your replies.

So I think I will just leave it like it is.

I thought it would be better to have access to the Wan port, because it is the recommended way of setting up the netduma.

But if it doesn't make a difference to putting it in the dmz, I better don't mess around with my setup.

Thank you.

Only differences between Static and Dynamic ISP is that you are assigned a IP address on a static so when your ISP modem/ONT comes online or is reset, it always gets the same WAN IP address. Dynamic means that you will have a WAN IP address for a period of time and depending on what your ISPs policy is, when your modem/ONT is reset or rebooted, the IP address may change to something else as they may set a lease time frame on IP addresses that are Dynamic.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for your replies.

So I think I will just leave it like it is.

I thought it would be better to have access to the Wan port, because it is the recommended way of setting up the netduma.

But if it doesn't make a difference to putting it in the dmz, I better don't mess around with my setup.

Thank you.

If it doesn't work out then you can always change it, though you won't notice the difference in-game. Let us know if you have any more questions :)