High ping when uploading on DSLReports

Everytime when i do a test on DSLReports my ping goes ridiculous high when the upload phase is testing. Sometimes goes from 400ms to 500ms or 700ms to 1000ms. Obviously my Bufferbloat results are very poor. Any help would be apreciated.

6154385439.png

post-8404-0-98293900-1490235803_thumb.png

post-8404-0-67342400-1490236232_thumb.png

post-8404-0-89712400-1490238976_thumb.png

post-8404-0-24848800-1490238979_thumb.png

post-8404-0-83553000-1490238981_thumb.png

post-8404-0-72132000-1490239033_thumb.png

Just uploaded settings in the images.

I assume you're not testing through your PS4... You need to put the congestion control sliders on 70% and test otherwise your bufferbloat will be bad. Keep trying different congestion control % until you get an A or A+ rating and that's the best settings for your connection

Leaving your anti-flood sliders at 100/100 is disabling anti-flood. If I did the same then I'd see the same result as you.

If you then run the dslreports test (or any speed test) you will max-out your bandwidth, cause buffer bloat, and your ping will go through the roof.

That's the point of using the anti-flood sliders.

• Netduma Staff

We really need to illustrate the point of the anti-flood sliders, it's not so clear as it is. For many users it probably feels like having them below 100 is limiting their bandwidth.

The advice above is great; reducing your anti-flood sliders to 70/70 should help with the results you're getting, and help with your experience in general. Let us know how it goes :)

Just as said above when you're testing for BB,you can't have the sliders set to 100 percent as it will cause your BB to be really bad.

The whole point of congestion control (sliders) is to leave some headroom on your network so you don't get BB.

No two home networks will be the same so I would start with 70/70 both ways and tweak from there to get the best settings for your network.And when I run DSL I also run ping plotter and stream a YT video to flood my network as that is what your really looking to do...see how your network reacts under load.Again this is what I do and I know several others who do this also as the settings for me on my network just running DSL by itself and flooding my network are a lot different.

I assume you're not testing through your PS4... You need to put the congestion control sliders on 70% and test otherwise your bufferbloat will be bad. Keep trying different congestion control % until you get an A or A+ rating and that's the best settings for your connection

How exactly should i test through my PS4? Just did a test in 70 % for both Down and Up and still my ping goes high from 150ms - 300 ms with a B on Bufferbloat. Should i lower or up cap or both?

why arent you using your anti flood congestion control? what speeds are you paying for? 40Down 1Up? and how many devices on your network, like smart tv, tablet, are any devices behind the netduma?

Im posting the results with 70% of Down and Up. Yes, 50mb Down and 1.5 mb Up. Just have my phone, PS4 and my personal computer.

Leaving your anti-flood sliders at 100/100 is disabling anti-flood. If I did the same then I'd see the same result as you.

If you then run the dslreports test (or any speed test) you will max-out your bandwidth, cause buffer bloat, and your ping will go through the roof.

That's the point of using the anti-flood sliders.

Results with 70/70

post-8404-0-90944500-1490309856_thumb.png

We really need to illustrate the point of the anti-flood sliders, it's not so clear as it is. For many users it probably feels like having them below 100 is limiting their bandwidth.

The advice above is great; reducing your anti-flood sliders to 70/70 should help with the results you're getting, and help with your experience in general. Let us know how it goes :)

Still have a B for Buffer. Download phase is very OK the Upload phase always goes apeshit.

post-8404-0-62902500-1490310061_thumb.png

You are only using 8 servers down and 4-6 up, try using more servers. Try 16 up and down.

Starting at 95% lower the up and down till you get a decent result. Sometimes this will be the same % other times it may be different.

You can adjust the servers by clicking on the picture of the cog wheel on the top bar next to the cable dal buttons etc

Also make sure you are doing the test over a wired connection and not wifi.

How exactly should i test through my PS4? Just did a test in 70 % for both Down and Up and still my ping goes high from 150ms - 300 ms with a B on Bufferbloat. Should i lower or up cap or both?

You should not be testing through your PS4, especially because you have it in hyper traffic... I just wanted to know if that's how you were doing it because doing a speedtest with a device that is in hyper traffic will give you bad results.

You also have a very low upload speed so you may have to go with 50% or less

Just to add. I was having issues with DSL reports before I figured out what my primary problem was.  When I would run my test my antivirus would interfere with my test somehow so I removed it. Now everything is a ok.  I am not saying this is your problem but just wanted to give out this little bit of info.  Also you are going to have to adjust the sliders until you can get the best results possible.  This is going to require you to run quite a few tests but soon you will find the sweet spot.  That is where you get all A results except maybe for quality.  For instance for my Anti-flood sliders are set to 90 up/ 80down. And I leave it there when gaming or not. Also I use this test here for bufferbloat.

You may want to also try reactive even though your download speeds are less than 50Mbps. I find preemptive is just too restrictive to my bandwidth. 

You are only using 8 servers down and 4-6 up, try using more servers. Try 16 up and down.

Starting at 95% lower the up and down till you get a decent result. Sometimes this will be the same % other times it may be different.

You can adjust the servers by clicking on the picture of the cog wheel on the top bar next to the cable dal buttons etc

Also make sure you are doing the test over a wired connection and not wifi.

Trying diferent setting and now im getting worst results. This is getting so frustrating.

post-8404-0-35942300-1490314684_thumb.png

Have you done a ping plotter test to see if it is an issue on your line (ISP Issue)

You're still only testing to 8 servers, try 16

I think before we can advise you anymore we really need to see a ping plotter graph that lasts for at least a couple of hours. 

Your in or near Guayaquil in Ecuador yes?

Have you done a ping plotter test to see if it is an issue on your line (ISP Issue)

You're still only testing to 8 servers, try 16

I think before we can advise you anymore we really need to see a ping plotter graph that lasts for at least a couple of hours. 

Your in or near Guayaquil in Ecuador yes?

Just got a B on BB disabling my PS4 on hypertrafic. I selected 16 servers on preferences on down and up streams and save. No, never tried Ping Plotter before. Yes, Im on Guayaquil, Ecuador right now.

post-8404-0-66846000-1490318870_thumb.png

Like I said in my previous post, everyone's home network is different.The 70/70 we all recommend is a starting point (from the developer of the duma BTW)  but many find it to be a great setting.Others may have to set their sliders to say...50/80 or 30/90 etc.It all depends on your home network,your speeds,how clean your line is (jitter wise) from your ISP to your home and a variety of other factors.

You just need to keep tweaking your settings until you find what works for you, it's a pain in the ass but once you get a good reading then you'll have an idea of where your sliders need to be.But I would still flood my connection while your doing your DSL reports test.

I'm guessing that with your upload not being really high, it's fine as it doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to game on line and you got plenty.But when I had my dedicated gaming line it was 13/1 so I couldn't use say 50 percent on my sliders as it would give me a really bad BB and only allowed me to get into P2P matches.Just remember the sliders don't have to be even for example I use 60/80 right now and that gets me A to A+ on a consistent basis.

And if your not sure about your line quality as bags said download ping plotter and run it for a few hours,at peak time for your area and then overnight and post the results in this thread and we'll see what it looks like.You might have a line issue,finding people's issue with their set up is a process of elimination.Look at one think at a time and don't throw 25 variables into the mix as you'll never know what the actual issue is/was.

So download and run ping plotter and post the results so we can have a look.

Try a ping plotter test please, it really will help us rule out any line issues before moving forward. Sorry but I'm probably gonna have to hit the hay soon, its 03.00 hrs here in the UK. 

Just as a point to mention "B" isn't that bad :)

Just downloaded Ping Plotter. Never used the program before so you could help with?