Any Ideas on this one.....

• Netduma Staff

Yeah...I did everything you said...and im still running moderate and when i look on the upnp page...the R1 gives me the port 9308 not matter if im online with my ps4 or the with the ps4 and xb1 online...for some reason when im online the R1 just will not give me the port 3074...which defeats the purpose of having this router...i mostly play Cod game...and running moderate doesnt work will...if i port forward the 3074 (again it makes his xb1 go strict..his games and console) i think go open for COD..and i feel i see a difference. I also tried wiring his xb1 to the R1 with my ps4 with upnp and im still moderate on every COD game...and i played ok yesterday ut once he got online with his xb1 i started lagging and had to put the xb1 wireless back to the netgear. Maybe im not understanding and this goes for whoever reads this...I dont think or see how its a "false reading of moderate" if im not getting the port that blops3 is wanting...i get its the game for online using that one port...but under nat moderate in the game its saying they tried to use the udp 3074 and cant...if its not the port that needs to make the game open...then thats why..its not a false reading..correct? 

Also I bought another netgear r7000 and ran the old netgear r7000 in AP...and we both stay open on every game now matter what...i dont understand why the R1 doesnt do that?....Ive worked on this since christmas...im thinking i just just go back and buy the netgear again and just have open on everything. its so frustrating ...bit i really do thank you guys for all the help...im just lost now.

Hey David; thank you for letting us know all the steps you've taken and how the problem manifests. I'm going to inquire about this problem when I get into the office tomorrow. Fortunately, with a new upgrade around the corner, this should be something we can either fix before launch or just after. Just to clarify - we are all aware of this issue, as it's persisted for some time now. It appears to affect all people differently - some people have all the luck and manage to get 4 consoles with an open NAT, and some such as yourself try every solution and can't solve it.

I will also ask Fraser when he's back in the office if he believes he knows any tricks to solve this. I wish I had more tricks up my own sleeve, but I'll make sure this is added to the list of fixes required for DumaOS and hopefully we'll solve this for all users..

Hey David; thank you for letting us know all the steps you've taken and how the problem manifests. I'm going to inquire about this problem when I get into the office tomorrow. Fortunately, with a new upgrade around the corner, this should be something we can either fix before launch or just after. Just to clarify - we are all aware of this issue, as it's persisted for some time now. It appears to affect all people differently - some people have all the luck and manage to get 4 consoles with an open NAT, and some such as yourself try every solution and can't solve it.

I will also ask Fraser when he's back in the office if he believes he knows any tricks to solve this. I wish I had more tricks up my own sleeve, but I'll make sure this is added to the list of fixes required for DumaOS and hopefully we'll solve this for all users..

Thanks alot Jack...Im reading alot on here and seeing others having problems...so i know its not just me...if you guys can come up with something...awesome...Fraser helped me some but nothing fixed it..he was the 1st to tell me it could be false readings...which i thought so too until I realized it was just that port...as before I could see if i had that port open and it was still reading mod...then i could see it being false ya know...I just cant get it to even open for me when its just my ps4 online...

For Sony, how they categorize NAT status differs from MS status. For PS, OPEN NAT or Type1 means the console is directly connected to the ISP Modem with out any routers in the middle, Moderate or Type2 for PS means that there is a router between the ISP modem and PS and is not a bad NAT status. Just means that there's a router in the middle. This is how it works for Sony and how they use the status.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/NAT-Type-2-Tutorial/td-p/27538324

MS and there meaning:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution

For Open NAT, means directly connected to ISP modem with out any routers between xbox and modem or there is a router in the mix and only just one game console is connected and uPnP and router is correctly gaining ports and configurations for the one game console to achieve OPEN NAT.

Moderate NAT means there is a router or two in the mix and ports are not being correctly opened and achieved for the game console.

Strict NAT means that there is one or two routers in the mix and ports are not configured correctly or being blocked for the game console.

Thanks alot Jack...Im reading alot on here and seeing others having problems...so i know its not just me...if you guys can come up with something...awesome...Fraser helped me some but nothing fixed it..he was the 1st to tell me it could be false readings...which i thought so too until I realized it was just that port...as before I could see if i had that port open and it was still reading mod...then i could see it being false ya know...I just cant get it to even open for me when its just my ps4 online...

For Sony, how they categorize NAT status differs from MS status. For PS, OPEN NAT or Type1 means the console is directly connected to the ISP Modem with out any routers in the middle, Moderate or Type2 for PS means that there is a router between the ISP modem and PS and is not a bad NAT status. Just means that there's a router in the middle. This is how it works for Sony and how they use the status.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/NAT-Type-2-Tutorial/td-p/27538324

MS and there meaning:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution

For Open NAT, means directly connected to ISP modem with out any routers between xbox and modem or there is a router in the mix and only just one game console is connected and uPnP and router is correctly gaining ports and configurations for the one game console to achieve OPEN NAT.

Moderate NAT means there is a router or two in the mix and ports are not being correctly opened and achieved for the game console.

Strict NAT means that there is one or two routers in the mix and ports are not configured correctly or being blocked for the game console.

What do you think is different between the R1 and the netgear r7000 where im having this much trouble getting the open nats ..even with ports...where 2 r7000 gives me open on both and every game?

This on dash board and in game or only dash board?

What configurations are you using on the r7000 router? Any QoS settings or just uPnP only?

I feel that how the R1s uPnP handling and possibly it's filtering features maybe at play here and needs to be looked at more closely. I believe that the R1s handling is meant for only a single game console and having multiples online wasn't considered at the time with the devs possibly. When you think about it. The average home only has one game console, however more and more and time goes on, homes have more than one game console now days and the use seems to be growing.

When I had 3 consoles on the same router, I could not get the R1 in OPEN NAT seamlessly. Even in game. However changing to a slightly older model mfr'd router and using there uPnP and QoS configurations, all three were able to get OPEN NAT on dash board and in game. (BO3). Now of course two of the 3 consoles no longer live at my house so trying to help troubleshoot this is harder for me.

There was some extensive discussion here about OPEN NAT on multiple game consoles:

https://www.snbforums.com/posts/303731/

I also believe that there is some portion of handling of ports is a MS and or game Mfr issue as well. I've seen it were I'm the only game console online however I see moderate nat in game when I sign on. Doing a power cycle of the game console or exiting the game and restarting the game brings the status to OPEN. We used to do resets on 360s to clear out any bad networking on those consoles. Same holds for XB1s. There maybe some bad networking going on on the consoles as well. Been posts about using bumper buttons and trigger buttons all at the same time to clear out XB1s networking configurations. Power cycling and getting new networking configurations and cache.

If your getting OPEN NAT across the board with a NG router, then some of this points to the R1 not handling multiple game consoles well.

Ive been using the r7000 as a AP...and on the newer NG's its just a click and thats it...it goes into AP...so it blocks out all the QOS and upnp...you cant do anything to it once in AP. Its funny you mention restarted the xb1 to get it to go open...if mine went open he would go moderate...so i would try to reset and then it would go strict..it wouldnt ever set back  to open. When he was open and I would be moderate there would be times id reset my ps4 and then i would go strict.

I agree...though people do make it work...if I had just my ps4 I could go port forward and be open on everything...but with both consoles...its impossible...for now I'll be using my two netgears...and chalk it up as a loss of 200 buck....hoefully the new OS might fix my problems and I can go back to the duma...until them I'll just had to wait...4 months of battling this router...im done...its beat me haha

• Netduma Staff

Ive been using the r7000 as a AP...and on the newer NG's its just a click and thats it...it goes into AP...so it blocks out all the QOS and upnp...you cant do anything to it once in AP. Its funny you mention restarted the xb1 to get it to go open...if mine went open he would go moderate...so i would try to reset and then it would go strict..it wouldnt ever set back  to open. When he was open and I would be moderate there would be times id reset my ps4 and then i would go strict.

I agree...though people do make it work...if I had just my ps4 I could go port forward and be open on everything...but with both consoles...its impossible...for now I'll be using my two netgears...and chalk it up as a loss of 200 buck....hoefully the new OS might fix my problems and I can go back to the duma...until them I'll just had to wait...4 months of battling this router...im done...its beat me haha

Here's a very recent post from someone who solved the NAT issue:

"First my setup:
Wall > NetgearCM500 > Netduma

Everything is hardwired in. I enabled UPnP in both Settings > Misc and Settings > UPnP.

I also assigned a static IP for both Xbox Ones. I then Port Forwarded ports 3075 tcp/udp and port 3076 tcp/udp to my second Xbox. Rebooted all equipment and both now show Open in game on both Xboxs in IW and MWR."

As I say though, I'll get it looked into and see if we can solve this from our end.

Need to know if uPnP should be disabled if there using PF configurations. Usually if PF is being used, uPnP should be disabled. :huh:

Is what do they mean by "assigned a static IP for both Xbox Ones"? Static meaning set an IP address ON the XB1s or Reservation if an IP address for the XB1s ON the R1? :wacko:

• Netduma Staff

Need to know if uPnP should be disabled if there using PF configurations. Usually if PF is being used, uPnP should be disabled. :huh:

Is what do they mean by "assigned a static IP for both Xbox Ones"? Static meaning set an IP address ON the XB1s or Reservation if an IP address for the XB1s ON the R1? :wacko:

I was just directly quoting someone who managed to do it. Usually we advise against using UPnP and port forwarding at the same time due to conflicts which can cause errors / interface slow-down issues. However, since David has tried almost every other option it might be worth trying.

And by assigning a static IP on both Xbox Ones, I believe you can do it either on the Xbox itself or on the Netduma. There's a guide to doing so here:https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/

Maybe how current FW on the R1 is handling IPs differently from other routers. Usually Static is a IP address set on the device itself out side of a routers default DHCP IP address pool, and a "reserved" IP address is set on the router with in the default DCHP IP address pool. The two should not be used at the same time keeping with standard networking processes.

You should see if you or someone on the dev team can get a configuration look at whom ever seems to be using this configuration on there R1 to see whats being set up. Maybe able to get full details on this and help understand more.

I'm hoping that you and Duma can come up with a detailed definitive FAQ for users of the R1 that have two or more game consoles all online at the same time.

I hope I can be of some assistance as well.

Would be nice to have something that works for all users and for the R1.

I was just directly quoting someone who managed to do it. Usually we advise against using UPnP and port forwarding at the same time due to conflicts which can cause errors / interface slow-down issues. However, since David has tried almost every other option it might be worth trying.

And by assigning a static IP on both Xbox Ones, I believe you can do it either on the Xbox itself or on the Netduma. There's a guide to doing so here:https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/

I did try putting the netgear r7000 after the modem and the hardwired both xbox and ps4 off the duma...but nothing change and I noticed a little more lag on my ps4 and my son said he felt some on the xbox...not sure if its because everything wireless was pulling from the netgear whole sending bandwidth to the R1...but for some reason the R1 kept giving the xb1 3074 and my ps4 the 9308 ports so I switched it back....haha for some reaon that xb1 loves the ONE port that I need..haha

If you get a chance, put the R1 back on as main host router and give the above process a try. When you get some time.

:rolleyes:

I did try putting the netgear r7000 after the modem and the hardwired both xbox and ps4 off the duma...but nothing change and I noticed a little more lag on my ps4 and my son said he felt some on the xbox...not sure if its because everything wireless was pulling from the netgear whole sending bandwidth to the R1...but for some reason the R1 kept giving the xb1 3074 and my ps4 the 9308 ports so I switched it back....haha for some reaon that xb1 loves the ONE port that I need..haha

Would like to know if this works for you David:

"First my setup:

Everything is hardwired in. I enabled UPnP in both Settings > Misc and Settings > UPnP.

I also assigned a static IP for both Xbox Ones. I then Port Forwarded ports 3075 tcp/udp and port 3076 tcp/udp to my second Xbox. Rebooted all equipment and both now show Open in game on both Xboxs in IW and MWR."

Any update on this?

No update...I have followed everything to each step...it always ends up the same Fraser...The closest I have got with everything is with using ports...and the xb1 stays open once everything is booted up...once I turn off the xb1 ( I noticed it a few weeks ago when messing with it) that when its turned off my son would go play it the next day after school and it would be strict on its own again...so this past sat I tried again with the help of somebody and got everything open and once I rebooted the xb1 it went back to strict without me doing anything to it. I had to go put and buy another netgear on top of our netgear that works as a AP to keep us open so we both can play...I'm hoping this new OS works better if not I'm out of $200 bucks I feel. Unless some way This router has been faulty from the start? Is that a possibility? Having just one console the router is badass..but with two I just cant get open nats. 

Would like to know if this works for you David:

"First my setup:

Yes I tried having my netgear 1st and then hardwired everything to my R1...I was told to try this a while back and disable the wifi on the duma...still couldn't get open nats and im not sure if because the netgear was still pulling bandwidth and then running the duma but we both felt laggy..more laggy then running my ps4 with just moderate in front of the duma (my son said he was laggy and hes young and never complaints about it until I tried this way haha)

Yes I tried having my netgear 1st and then hardwired everything to my R1...I was told to try this a while back and disable the wifi on the duma...still couldn't get open nats and im not sure if because the netgear was still pulling bandwidth and then running the duma but we both felt laggy..more laggy then running my ps4 with just moderate in front of the duma (my son said he was laggy and hes young and never complaints about it until I tried this way haha)

Haha, so we can see that's not working too good then. 

Hey David, I don't know if you're running two consoles on at the same time. If so, It's not going to work right now with the netduma; for Activision games, more so Call of Duty franchise. 

That is if you're running Modem>Netduma>Nighthawk as an Access Point. 

What I can say what does work as I too have a Nighthawk. It's all in the netgear firmware on how they handle the UPNP requests and their SIP. I could get both consoles on the Nighthawk open NAT while both consoles are on at the same time no problem only using UPNP and SIP OPEN in the netgear router by itself. 

Now recently a fellow user was able to achieve OPEN NAT using the CM500, and I'm just going to say one of two things with their setup possibly working is due to them using the Netgear Modem but that's just a theory as we all know modems dont do any routing but who knows what Netgear did with their modem. Why do say this, well as mentioned above, using the netgear nighthawk router can get OPEN NAT using the nighthawk with Two/Multiple consoles on at the same time. 

Now I've been trying to get it open recently myself for multiple consoles again lately since having a nice big LAN party soon and haven't been able to either. I do believe, we possibly just going to have to wait for the new firmware update for the Netduma to see if this is treated. 

I'm thinking of putting the Nighthawk in between the Netduma and enable the UPNP on the nighthawk and ticking "UPNP forwarding" on the Netduma to see if that works. But I would be missing out on the Netduma Magic if I went this route. But still doubt it will work which is why I haven't done it sadly. 

Oh yeah, also, you can try Port Forwarding AND enabling UPNP(disable upnp forwarding, make sure it's unchecked).

By this i mean, if you're playing Call of duty, For PS4, Portforward port 3074-3074(TCP/UDP).

I do this to achieve OPEN NAT with multiple consoles and atleast able to have one OPEN at ALL TIMES. This is against what is normally mentioned to do. But I promise you this works best for me to get OPEN NAT at ALL TIMES with multiple consoles on at one time. But this will only work on one console in this case this PS4. While the other consoles will be MODERATE in call of duty. Now you mentioned xbox. Portforward 3075-3075(TCP/UDP) and 3076-3076(TCP/UDP). Please make sure you have given the consoles static ip addresses in the DHCP LEASE in the netduma and portforward to that specific Static IP you made in the DHCP LEASE.

Need to put the R1 first and wire up consoles to the R1.

The CM500 is a NG stand alone modem, not a router in that example I posted.

So for you, ISP modem>Duma R1<>NG router configured for LAN to LAN AP mode for wireless support only.

Then configure the R1 for that example that I posted from one of the forum Admins.

• Administrators

Please try this:

Hard turn off the consoles
Disable Geo-filter on Duma for both
Hub in modem mode or R1 WAN IP from device manager into the DMZ on hub
UPnP & port forwarding disabled on the hub
UPnP enabled on the Duma
UPnP forwarding disabled in Duma miscellaneous settings
Boot up consoles - check network settings - should be open or NAT Type 2 (open)
Boot up games - should be open if not then boot up MWR on the one that isn't, then boot up IW and it should be open (this worked with someone I did a 1 on 1 with before I went on holiday)

Please try this:

Hard turn off the consoles

Disable Geo-filter on Duma for both

Hub in modem mode or R1 WAN IP from device manager into the DMZ on hub

UPnP & port forwarding disabled on the hub

UPnP enabled on the Duma

UPnP forwarding disabled in Duma miscellaneous settings

Boot up consoles - check network settings - should be open or NAT Type 2 (open)

Boot up games - should be open if not then boot up MWR on the one that isn't, then boot up IW and it should be open (this worked with someone I did a 1 on 1 with before I went on holiday)

my modem is a stand alone modem...its not a combo...I have tried these steps before..and Ive come to the conclusion that either the xb1 as to have 3074 port to stay open and my ps4 is moderate or I have to port  forward 3074 to be open and then the xb1 stays strict.

Haha, so we can see that's not working too good then. 

Hey David, I don't know if you're running two consoles on at the same time. If so, It's not going to work right now with the netduma; for Activision games, more so Call of Duty franchise. 

That is if you're running Modem>Netduma>Nighthawk as an Access Point. 

What I can say what does work as I too have a Nighthawk. It's all in the netgear firmware on how they handle the UPNP requests and their SIP. I could get both consoles on the Nighthawk open NAT while both consoles are on at the same time no problem only using UPNP and SIP OPEN in the netgear router by itself. 

Now recently a fellow user was able to achieve OPEN NAT using the CM500, and I'm just going to say one of two things with their setup possibly working is due to them using the Netgear Modem but that's just a theory as we all know modems dont do any routing but who knows what Netgear did with their modem. Why do say this, well as mentioned above, using the netgear nighthawk router can get OPEN NAT using the nighthawk with Two/Multiple consoles on at the same time. 

Now I've been trying to get it open recently myself for multiple consoles again lately since having a nice big LAN party soon and haven't been able to either. I do believe, we possibly just going to have to wait for the new firmware update for the Netduma to see if this is treated. 

I'm thinking of putting the Nighthawk in between the Netduma and enable the UPNP on the nighthawk and ticking "UPNP forwarding" on the Netduma to see if that works. But I would be missing out on the Netduma Magic if I went this route. But still doubt it will work which is why I haven't done it sadly. 

Oh yeah, also, you can try Port Forwarding AND enabling UPNP(disable upnp forwarding, make sure it's unchecked).

By this i mean, if you're playing Call of duty, For PS4, Portforward port 3074-3074(TCP/UDP).

I do this to achieve OPEN NAT with multiple consoles and atleast able to have one OPEN at ALL TIMES. This is against what is normally mentioned to do. But I promise you this works best for me to get OPEN NAT at ALL TIMES with multiple consoles on at one time. But this will only work on one console in this case this PS4. While the other consoles will be MODERATE in call of duty. Now you mentioned xbox. Portforward 3075-3075(TCP/UDP) and 3076-3076(TCP/UDP). Please make sure you have given the consoles static ip addresses in the DHCP LEASE in the netduma and portforward to that specific Static IP you made in the DHCP LEASE.

You are correct...the netgear(s) tend to keep everything open no matter what..but it im no where near staying ahead on FPS like the duma puts you...I have done ever way possible and cant keep them both open at the sametime...I'm really hoping the new OS will do it or I'm stuck with a 200 dollar router until my kid goes off to college in 2 years...haha

Need to put the R1 first and wire up consoles to the R1.

The CM500 is a NG stand alone modem, not a router in that example I posted.

So for you, ISP modem>Duma R1<>NG router configured for LAN to LAN AP mode for wireless support only.

Then configure the R1 for that example that I posted from one of the forum Admins.

yes I have done this method too and ran nothing but the NG as the wireless...and they both start off open and once you reboot the xb1 either later on that day or right then it jumps back to strict (with the instant ON turns off....haha....for my sanity sake ive given up for now

• Administrators

my modem is a stand alone modem...its not a combo...I have tried these steps before..and Ive come to the conclusion that either the xb1 as to have 3074 port to stay open and my ps4 is moderate or I have to port  forward 3074 to be open and then the xb1 stays strict.

The booting up MWR then IW doesn't work at all for you? I will look to make multiple consoles something we definitely test for so if there is something we can do we will do it.

The booting up MWR then IW doesn't work at all for you? I will look to make multiple consoles something we definitely test for so if there is something we can do we will do it.

Nope..each time I have tried I'm showing moderate in IW also...again unless I take port 3074 I'm open in everything but that's when the xb1 goes strict on the console...not strict on his games..the whole console goes.

I hope you guys can make it happen for more then one console...I'm seeing some few having the same problems...the 1st few weeks I had both open and then after the new year it bombed or something...but I loved having it for COD and battlefield...my stats went crazy with the duma. Again ...thanks for the reply.