Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Network Cables

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

What kind of network cables do you guys use?  I am going to upgrade my network to Cat6a cables.  Should I get shielded or unshielded?  Will it make a difference?

Thanks

Zennon

Zennon

• Administrators
  • 6,928 posts
  • Local time: 11:19 AM
  • LocationUK

I am still with shielded Cat5e as my network does not share files across to other devices so I do not need higher than 1Gb

Cat 6 has a tighter twist I am not having any noise issues at the moment if I do I will upgrade to 6 myself.

I would go with shielded.

Here is a good article what is-the-difference-between-ethernet-cables

UK_Wildcats_Fans

UK_Wildcats_Fans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Local time: 03:19 AM
  • LocationSan Diego, California USA

I use CAT 6 cables for connecting devices to my switch.  I use Cat 5e cables between the internet devices (i.e. modem to router to switch and switch to powerlines adapters).

BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

Thanks

fuzzy clam

fuzzy clam

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,939 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 AM
  • LocationUS - Michigan

I am still with shielded Cat5e as my network does not share files across to other devices so I do not need higher than 1Gb

Cat 6 has a tighter twist I am not having any noise issues at the moment if I do I will upgrade to 6 myself.

I would go with shielded.

Here is a good article what is-the-difference-between-ethernet-cables

I always liked that article, pretty straightforward and easy for people to understand the difference between them.

frustrated I just got a new NETDUMA, and I can't connect, how do I get the password for the Wi-Fi

:P

LegionGaming

LegionGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationQueens,NY

What kind of network cables do you guys use?  I am going to upgrade my network to Cat6a cables.  Should I get shielded or unshielded?  Will it make a difference?

Thanks

I actually use this cables.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dont know much about cables but i found those cables rather convenient compare to those other ones. 

PharmDawgg

PharmDawgg

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,060 posts
  • LocationGA-USA

Can't go wrong with monoprice either. Prices are pretty reasonable. 

Jennifertn

Jennifertn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 PM

I usually use cat6A cables for each network and its really amazing. Works better than the rest.

N3CR0

N3CR0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

I'm using cat6... shielded or not, no idea.

lllRL

lllRL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationUK
I've swapped mine out for Cat6 FTP (foil shielded) cables a while ago as I planned to move to a FTTP ISP as soon as they started taking orders in my street, and wanted something that could both handle gigabit and provide decent protection from interference as my cable runs a long way past quite a few electronics and whatnot. I've got a short Cat6 twisted pair solid core RJ11 to RJ45 cable between my wall socket and modem, then the 15m Cat6 FTP ethernet cable from modem to R1 which is upstairs, and a 1m cable of the same type and brand from R1 to PS4.

As far as I know fully shielded cables (is that STP or S/FTP or what, I can never remember) are only really recommended for industrial settings where there'd be large amounts of EMI, and they need to be grounded. I doubt they'd be useful in a home network.

Edit: mine say FTP on so I guess that's F/UTP.

pollutionblues

pollutionblues

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationFar North of Scotland
I use Cat6 shielded
The family that slays together stays together

N3CR0

N3CR0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

I've swapped mine out for Cat6 FTP (foil shielded) cables a while ago as I planned to move to a FTTP ISP as soon as they started taking orders in my street, and wanted something that could both handle gigabit and provide decent protection from interference as my cable runs a long way past quite a few electronics and whatnot. I've got a short Cat6 twisted pair solid core RJ11 to RJ45 cable between my wall socket and modem, then the 15m Cat6 FTP ethernet cable from modem to R1 which is upstairs, and a 1m cable of the same type and brand from R1 to PS4.

As far as I know fully shielded cables (is that STP or S/FTP or what, I can never remember) are only really recommended for industrial settings where there'd be large amounts of EMI, and they need to be grounded. I doubt they'd be useful in a home network.

Edit: mine say FTP on so I guess that's F/UTP.

Mine say U/UTP, so unshielded.

lllRL

lllRL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationUK

Mine say U/UTP, whatever that means lol.

Should just be fully unshielded twisted pair lol

N3CR0

N3CR0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Should just be fully unshielded twisted pair lol

Yeah, I Googled it then edited ;)

lllRL

lllRL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah, I Googled it then edited ;)

That'll teach me for being too speedy. Now I look like a muppet, cheers ;)

N3CR0

N3CR0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

That'll teach me for being too speedy. Now I look like a muppet, cheers ;)

Yup :D

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationAZ

Unless your jacks are shielded, using shielded cat 5 or 6 cable is a waste and might actually perform worse and introduce noise on your cabling. There really is no need to use CAT shielded cable in a home setting.

Zennon

Zennon

• Administrators
  • 6,928 posts
  • LocationUK

http://www.iebmedia....etail=true&bb=1

nunogsm

nunogsm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationPortugal

i use cat6a, A+ quality

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationAZ

Hmm, I did a quick google search and found links for not properly grounding Shielded UTP saying it is a myth and stating it CAN cause EMI issues.  From what I know shielded UTP was designed to to be grounded on one end. 

I work in the electronics field and my company has data cable every where and places I would think have high EMI noise and they only use Unshielded CAT 6 cabling.  

Maybe EMI is different in the UK but here in the US, 95% of residential homes do not need any shielded comm cabling properly grounded or not.

https://www.leviton....quiresCat6A.pdf

https://forum.allabo...h-ground.71926/

https://itm-componen...rsus-unshielded

Any way I use both Cat5E and Cat 6 cabling on my network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users