Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Netduma hardware with the new DumaOS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 PM
  • LocationAZ

Okay I've been wondering will the existing hardware be able to run the new DumaOS efficiently?  By technology standards the hardware is out of date with only a 600 MHz single core processor and 128 Mb RAM.  I know with all the features the Netduma offers it will need a lot of processing power. I am concerned that the existing hard ware will not be able to handle all the processing required to run the new Duma OS. I mean most new routers have dual core processors running at over 1GHZ!

What is everyone's takes on this?

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 3,051 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • LocationLondon, UK

What's to say that the update won't be more efficient and require less processing power...

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAZ
I'm no hardware expert but I doubt it. Congestion control, host filtering, anti spike/jitter, the cloud hyper lane, etc that is quite a bit of stuff right there. That a lot processing power right there.

p00psm00thie

p00psm00thie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I've been actually wondering the exact same thing.

bagsta69

bagsta69

The Reverend.

• Moderators
  • 2,830 posts
  • LocationThe Steel City

POPULAR

I'm guessing that Iain isn't daft enough to try putting diesel into an electric car to make it run.

punishertag.jpg
You can easily gauge someone's level of IQ by how easily they get outraged on the internet.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationNear Manchester
Yeah, they really gonna spend all that time and effort to develope software insufficiant for the hardware.....derrrrrrr
Posted Image Posted Image

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,592 posts
Theres a vid on youtube by a guy called crosstalk that looks into the original mikrotik firmware for this router and it is well advanced. So i guess it can handle duma OS.

RADDY1993

RADDY1993

The Ping Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationHastings, UK

I wonder if we could upgrade and flash the firmware on https://routerboard.com/

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAZ

Yeah, they really gonna spend all that time and effort to develope software insufficiant for the hardware.....derrrrrrr

Yeah you are right..... A company has never made a mistake before. Not everything that works on paper works in real life applications! Come on man! Lol.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

In my experience it runs just fine, of course we'll continue to test and fine tune if needed. DumaOS affords us very fast development.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Not everything that works on paper works in real life applications! Come on man! Lol.

That's true but that's what multiple rounds of testing is for

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,592 posts

Yeah you are right..... A company has never made a mistake before. Not everything that works on paper works in real life applications! Come on man! Lol.

they have been designing this new OS for nearly a year and aren't releasing it until it is fully ready. Trust me, it will work fine :)

besides, they aren't sir clive sinclair releasing the C5 :)

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAZ

Just so everyone knows I am not trolling here or being a hater.  believe me I want the Netduma to kick butt in all aspects.  For one I already invested in it and for two, I don't have the money to buy a new router ATM.

The reasons why I posted this is as follows:

1.  The delay in the DumaOS, I mean it was supposed to be released in fall of last year.  Why exactly is there a delay?  Coding issues?, hardware issues? etc.

2.  Even with the present firmware I see little quirks, I.e. I moved congestion control slider by 1% and lose 20 meg bandwidth and other threads with bandwidth issues which indicates to me there is throughput issue but that is just me, etc.

3.  I remember seeing posts back in 2015 of people questioning the capability of the hardware and it is 2017 and the hardware has not changed.

4.  Most gaming routers are dual core and with at least a 1 GHZ processor.

5.  Netduma has lot of features that need processing power.

6.  I can't even have have QoS on on my Asus router without turning off NAT acceleration and hardware is almost identical to the Netduma

I am also aware that Mikrotik makes very good routers and usually perform better than any other consumer branded router with the same specs.

Anyway, just wanted to let you my reasoning so no one thinks I am attacking Netduma.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,592 posts

the delays are so they get it fine tuned for launch and that is why they have had alpha and beta testing so that when it goes global it will have any issues that are known of ironed out. :)

I have an asus ac68u with duel core processor and my netduma handles my traffic better than my asus does.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

POPULAR

Just so everyone knows I am not trolling here or being a hater.  believe me I want the Netduma to kick butt in all aspects.  For one I already invested in it and for two, I don't have the money to buy a new router ATM.

The reasons why I posted this is as follows:

1.  The delay in the DumaOS, I mean it was supposed to be released in fall of last year.  Why exactly is there a delay?  Coding issues?, hardware issues? etc.

2.  Even with the present firmware I see little quirks, I.e. I moved congestion control slider by 1% and lose 20 meg bandwidth and other threads with bandwidth issues which indicates to me there is throughput issue but that is just me, etc.

3.  I remember seeing posts back in 2015 of people questioning the capability of the hardware and it is 2017 and the hardware has not changed.

4.  Most gaming routers are dual core and with at least a 1 GHZ processor.

5.  Netduma has lot of features that need processing power.

6.  I can't even have have QoS on on my Asus router without turning off NAT acceleration and hardware is almost identical to the Netduma

I am also aware that Mikrotik makes very good routers and usually perform better than any other consumer branded router with the same specs.

Anyway, just wanted to let you my reasoning so no one thinks I am attacking Netduma.

I'll answer your questions as best I can:

1. Okay I've mentioned this before but making the product is just one part of it and when you're literally rewriting the system from the ground up it can take some time, of course now you have to test it to high heaven. When you discover bugs you then have to retest the entire thing, repeat, repeat, repeat etc. That's why you get delays with anything that's being developed.
  2. Reactive algorithm you won't lose as much speed. New QoS as you've probably seen on the blog won't encounter this issue.
  3. It is the software that reduces your lag not the hardware.
  4. That's true but they don't have the software to improve your game so what is that all being used for? 
  5. True
  6. Yep I am aware of that.

My answers may seem rather vague but basically yes it works well :)

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAZ

I'll answer your questions as best I can:

1. Okay I've mentioned this before but making the product is just one part of it and when you're literally rewriting the system from the ground up it can take some time, of course now you have to test it to high heaven. When you discover bugs you then have to retest the entire thing, repeat, repeat, repeat etc. That's why you get delays with anything that's being developed.
  2. Reactive algorithm you won't lose as much speed. New QoS as you've probably seen on the blog won't encounter this issue.
  3. It is the software that reduces your lag not the hardware.
  4. That's true but they don't have the software to improve your game so what is that all being used for? 
  5. True
  6. Yep I am aware of that.

My answers may seem rather vague but basically yes it works well :)

Thanks Fraser for addressing my concerns,

XSXS

XSXS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAZ

This was the other reason I question the hardware, the Mikrotik rep indicated the CPU is the only bottleneck.

https://forum.mikrot...pic.php?t=78619

p00psm00thie

p00psm00thie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

I can't lie. I was doubting the hardware too. But everyone's got great points. 

fuzzy clam

fuzzy clam

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,937 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 PM
  • LocationUS - Michigan

I guess the only one's who really know how it's preforming at the minute are the guys testing it for bugs.

But I'll put my money on Iain,Crossy,Fraser and the rest duma crew to figure out any issues with,bugs,hardware etc and if issues arise I'm sure they will have a "plan b" in place in the event such a situation does come up.

Not gonna lie I'm really looking forward to being able to see it in action as I'm sure everyone else is.

frustrated I just got a new NETDUMA, and I can't connect, how do I get the password for the Wi-Fi

:P

ChriscomIT

ChriscomIT

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 AM
  • LocationGermany

Mhh funny to re-read this thread in regards to the current R1 situation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users