Destiny Geo Filter (Not always working)

Hey gents.

Firstly yes the filter was turned on.  I have it set to Australia only.  But more and more people from out side the filter are making it into my lobbies recently.

Some times for Trials this will happen if they are in a team with some one inside the filters range.  But this is different, all players are solo players.

I just played a game of 6v6 with only 4 people inside the GEO filter.  The rest were made up from Malasia, Guam, Japan and China.  You could imagine how fun that was to play in...

Any thoughts on why this could be happening?

You're from australia, don't you ?

If it's the case, it's normal because they are the closest players from you.

Hey Chive

Correct I am in Aus.  Even if they are the only people close to me, should the GEO filter not a stop me to be connected with them?

If there aren't enough players in your area the Destiny servers will make connections to fill spots. If you look at your peer pings and see less than a full team this is likely the case.

Yes I understand.  Tho I was lead to believe the GEO Filter would stop me from being connected to people out side of the range I have set.

The screen is showing 4 people connected from Australia and 8 people from other locations with a blocked icon (Yellow Triangle not a red circle)  But still they are connecting.

Average ping for the game in question was 3500ms

You were likely connected to a dedicated server at the time, was there a big circle? What were you pinging to that?

Hey Fraser.  I took screen shot of the said lobby and there is no large circle on review. Only 4 small circles inside the GEO filter and 7 blocked triangles with my self being the 12th player and not displayed.

Assume the dedicated server may be one of the blocked symbols?

I am not actually aware of the locations of Bungie's dedicated servers.

Great let me know!

Well after some extensive testing.  the GEO Filter is working 100% again.  No one slipping through.

Any insight on to why this was happening?  As turning off what was suggested as optimal for settings was the fix for the issue and I wonder if any other people are effected by this

*Edit*

I am getting booted from a lot more games now I have noticed.  From not being kicked from a lobby at all for months to having it happen 4-5 times in a days gaming

• Administrators

Basically what was occurring was that people were getting booted a lot with strict mode off as it tried to connect you to a really far away dedicated server. Now either one of two things is happening there - they're just trying to match you with anyone at all regardless of connection or what it looked like at the time was that some of those previous dedicated servers were now required to authenticate online play i.e. they needed to be whitelisted. Hence why I made a test cloud with them whitelisted. 

The test cloud seemed to have worked for most people, now what you're saying may contradict that. In which case I will need to test the game again and see exactly what is going on.

Basically what was occurring was that people were getting booted a lot with strict mode off as it tried to connect you to a really far away dedicated server. Now either one of two things is happening there - they're just trying to match you with anyone at all regardless of connection or what it looked like at the time was that some of those previous dedicated servers were now required to authenticate online play i.e. they needed to be whitelisted. Hence why I made a test cloud with them whitelisted. 

The test cloud seemed to have worked for most people, now what you're saying may contradict that. In which case I will need to test the game again and see exactly what is going on.

Ahh very interesting.

With what I have stated, a comment to add clarity.  As per our 1-1 session.  I had this weekend also changed my set up  back to the ISP modem with the duma in the DMZ to allow me to access more bandwidth.  So potentially, for an unknown reason may have been causing the loss of connection.

Also to back up the theory that this has changed something connection wise.  Getting a kill in Destiny was triggering a sound glitch until the kill was registered by the game(Maybe damage referee).  This glitch was not happening with the Duma hooked directly to the fiber and running PPPoE.

Hi Fraser,

I live in South Central BC Canada, and have been using the bleeding edge cloud settings.  Recently I've found that if I don't include almost all of North America in my Region Filter I get these grey locks that appear in the Eastern US. When this happens its guaranteed that I'll be kicked from my lobby with a Bungie beaver error.  Other times, I can't even get a lobby, it'll just tell me there's network problems. Is this the same issue that you are talking about?  Basically I've had to set my Region filter at almost 4000 km's to play. I'm hoping there's an easy fix, because I'm really miss the reliable hit detection that was so spoiled with.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Just found the info to un-check the cloud setting and enter 30, 28, 28.  I've done that and will try it out tomorrow.  

Cheers

EDIT: New setting worked like a charm.  The sad part is Destiny's play base is so depleted I have to set my range to 3000K anyway just to get a match.  I just can't get away from the lag anymore :-(

• Administrators

Hi Fraser,

I live in South Central BC Canada, and have been using the bleeding edge cloud settings.  Recently I've found that if I don't include almost all of North America in my Region Filter I get these grey locks that appear in the Eastern US. When this happens its guaranteed that I'll be kicked from my lobby with a Bungie beaver error.  Other times, I can't even get a lobby, it'll just tell me there's network problems. Is this the same issue that you are talking about?  Basically I've had to set my Region filter at almost 4000 km's to play. I'm hoping there's an easy fix, because I'm really miss the reliable hit detection that was so spoiled with.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Just found the info to un-check the cloud setting and enter 30, 28, 28.  I've done that and will try it out tomorrow.  

Cheers

Keep us updated!

Sadly Destiny is dying out...and its SBMM doesnt fix the problems.Low # of playing and skill gap make for alot of bad lobbies lately...my range is set to 3000km with ping set to 130ms just so i dont get booted from as many games...cant use it in ToO cause its a for sure boot waiting to happen....

Make something for Destiny 2 when in comes between spet-dec 2017

Sadly Destiny is dying out...and its SBMM doesnt fix the problems.Low # of playing and skill gap make for alot of bad lobbies lately...my range is set to 3000km with ping set to 130ms just so i dont get booted from as many games...cant use it in ToO cause its a for sure boot waiting to happen....

Make something for Destiny 2 when in comes between spet-dec 2017

Can i help you on that part?

I think i've found the best settings for Destiny.

It won't help for skill gap or tryhard lobbies but you will enjoy your session.

What cloud are you using? Try auto/bleeding edge off and using 30, 28, 28.

Fraser,

When can we go back to using auto cloud?  Have you updated it since these settings seem to be working good now.

• Administrators

Fraser,

When can we go back to using auto cloud?  Have you updated it since these settings seem to be working good now.

I'm apprehensive about putting it on auto/bleeding edge at the moment but if it can be done without compromising other games I will.