Host Filtering - Destiny PVP

This isnt intermittent, it's chronic...

Right now im in a rumble match, 6 person deathmatch, with 6 opponents.  The host filtering map only shows two circles.  This also happens in other 6v6 games modes.  One constant is that one circle is always in south carolina.

Here's a screenshot of the rumble match

http://imgur.com/96Jw3fz

Any ideas?

Thx,

David

• Administrators

Hi David, please try the following: 

Strict mode off, disable auto/bleeding edge cloud in miscellaneous settings and choose the number 30, 28, 28 instead. Does this resolve your issue?

If not then the other players are connecting to that dedicated server which is why you can't see them.

It hasnt helped yet but Ill keep at it.  Its always been my understanding that destiny pvp is p2p, so outside of some word-of-mouth blackhat vpn packet mangler dirtbag motherfu cheat service, im kinda stumped...unless it's the duma that's missinterpreting something which tanks the geo display.  idk, it's just frustrating because when it happens, the gameplay is just silly and offensive

Ok, mmmmmmm, i think is worse, now the only host is in northern mane/southern canada yet im getting matched exclusively with 160ms - 280ms+ mexicans.  I saved the last match's pcap, full frames so it aint small, but i got it.

X - ill try that now

• Netduma Staff

Ok, mmmmmmm, i think is worse, now the only host is in northern mane/southern canada yet im getting matched exclusively with 160ms - 280ms+ mexicans.  I saved the last match's pcap, full frames so it aint small, but i got it.

X - ill try that now

Destiny uses a hybrid of P2P and dedicated servers; if you see that there's loads of players in the game but there's not as many on the map, the likelihood is your playing on a dedicated server.

What I will say is; if it plays fine, don't change your settings. You should make sure you've got settings like these though:

- 1000km Distance
- 0 Ping Assist
- Strict Mode off
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

k, i made all those settings.  Also, all the cables are real short 5e.  I run the ps4 to the duma through a trunked port to a centos6 vm to capture the traffic. simple tcpdump -i eth0.10 -s0 -w /root/getchasum.pcap

testing now

Ok, things appear to be working better.  Took a bit for things to settle down, which i don't understand, but matchmaking appears to have a higher degree of consistency now.

Three questions,

1. PVP/PVE/PSN Interoperability - In a clash match I get a invite to run a raid in the form of a PSN chat party invite from a buddy in the UK.  To join the chat party I currently have to disable the geofilter and reboot the duma.  I've tried just about every other permutation consisting of temp ban clear, filter expansion, flushing upnp, ping assistance expansion, etc.  Am I doing something wrong?
  2. Game Interoperability - As in #1 above, I must do the same thing when switching from Destiny to Warframe, unless I apply the general gaming profile...which I do not want to do now that Destiny PVP appears to be working better.
  3. Aggressive PVP options - 99.99999% of the matches im in, i encounter something similar to this and it is fing infuriating.  Yes, this person was cheating and I reported him like I do all the others, which is fing exhausting.  Anyway, I confronted him (which was heated), showed him this clip, he buckled and admitted it...and will hopefully get a bungie ban.  During his rather crude lag switching, there are or should be obvious, detectable indicators on the wire.  It would be cool, if after a match there were a list of ban-able "Anomalous Hosts" that I could choose to ban from being match made with for x amount of time.  Now I've not thought this through, so I'm sure it's hole'ee.

• Administrators

Ok, things appear to be working better.  Took a bit for things to settle down, which i don't understand, but matchmaking appears to have a higher degree of consistency now.

Three questions,

1. PVP/PVE/PSN Interoperability - In a clash match I get a invite to run a raid in the form of a PSN chat party invite from a buddy in the UK.  To join the chat party I currently have to disable the geofilter and reboot the duma.  I've tried just about every other permutation consisting of temp ban clear, filter expansion, flushing upnp, ping assistance expansion, etc.  Am I doing something wrong?
  2. Game Interoperability - As in #1 above, I must do the same thing when switching from Destiny to Warframe, unless I apply the general gaming profile...which I do not want to do now that Destiny PVP appears to be working better.
  3. Aggressive PVP options - 99.99999% of the matches im in, i encounter something similar to this and it is fing infuriating.  Yes, this person was cheating and I reported him like I do all the others, which is fing exhausting.  Anyway, I confronted him (which was heated), showed him this clip, he buckled and admitted it...and will hopefully get a bungie ban.  During his rather crude lag switching, there are or should be obvious, detectable indicators on the wire.  It would be cool, if after a match there were a list of ban-able "Anomalous Hosts" that I could choose to ban from being match made with for x amount of time.  Now I've not thought this through, so I'm sure it's hole'ee.

1. You'll need to add your friend to the allow list: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022357--with-the-geo-filter-how-do-i-play-with-friends-

2. I haven't tested Warframe with the Geo-filter so would disable the Geo-filter when you play, it won't change any off your Geo-filter settings.

3. No sure it that specifically would be possible but we will be adding the ability to block players by clicking on their peer ping bars.

Right now im in a rumble match, 6 person deathmatch, with 6 opponents.  The host filtering map only shows two circles.  This also happens in other 6v6 games modes. One constant is that one circle is always in south carolina.

Bungie uses Activision's company DemonWare as their service provider for matchmaking servers (and it has long been my belief for their matchmaking software, which is why they need 6 months to get an adjustment made to the algorithms but I digress).

Not much is known about their services. Some information trickled from Call Of Duty over the years... for example how they attempt to match players that have different NAT levels together.

Maybe when this happens the 3 players on a server in SC datacenter were closed NAT players being tunneled through there. (There are also such servers in London, Ireland (DemonWare's home), Japan... and some other places I've noticed over time.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the delayed comms, things are still a bit inconsistent.  Which honestly prolly has more to due with the potent 'dirtbag' quotient in most destiny pvpers than the duma.

Anyway, still unclear on some things.  Just saw a new symbol on the map, looks kinda like a wheel rolling (screenshot attached), what do they signify?  Actually they start out looking like a radiation symbol, then they spin open, i guess.  But they do spin.  There's one in the middle of wheel1.png attachment.

Thanks

post-8472-0-99657900-1489918055_thumb.png

post-8472-0-32473100-1489918316_thumb.png

• Netduma Staff

Hey, sorry for the delayed comms, things are still a bit inconsistent.  Which honestly prolly has more to due with the potent 'dirtbag' quotient in most destiny pvpers than the duma.

Anyway, still unclear on some things.  Just saw a new symbol on the map, looks kinda like a wheel rolling (screenshot attached), what do they signify?  Actually they start out looking like a radiation symbol, then they spin open, i guess.  But they do spin.  There's one in the middle of wheel1.png attachment.

Thanks

That signifies a host that's been allowed by your Ping Assist setting. (We're making the Geofilter icons much simpler to understand for DumaOS!) Are you still having issues?

To join the chat party I currently have to disable the geofilter and reboot the duma.

When I get a party invite (outside my radius) I click on the Enable checkbox for the Host Filtering (to disable it, of course). Then I join the party, and tick the Enable checkbox again.

When party is joined connections for the voice are established, and Netduma will not block/break-off existing connections when I re-enable the Host Filtering.