VPN question from a noob...

Fazor

Hey guys...thinking about getting a VPN but primarily plan to only use it for my Amazon FireStick. 

I am very new to the VPN thing and don't know much about it.  Is there a free one or cheap one that will work good?  I see that most of them have a monthly fee. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks. 

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for the replys. Fraser...would it cause possible lag for everything on my router, or just the selected devices? Cause I don't plan on using the VPN with my Xbox One.

It would only cause possible lag on the selected devices; all you need to do is disable it for the Xbox One on the VPN page. :)

• Netduma Staff

Ok cool. And netduma works with all the VPN services? For example, I'm looking to try IPVanish. That would work with the Duma?

If the VPN provider gives you access to the OpenVPN configuration file then you'll be able to use it with the Netduma, yes. IPVanish should work.

I was gonna make a new post but saw this one and realized it's in the same realm lmao. Is there a specific VPN style that plays well with duma, as far as configuration goes? I know OpenVPN security seems to be the favorite out there right now. I just wanna make sure what i get will work internal with the advanced vpn interface. Thanks!

• Administrators

I was gonna make a new post but saw this one and realized it's in the same realm lmao. Is there a specific VPN style that plays well with duma, as far as configuration goes? I know OpenVPN security seems to be the favorite out there right now. I just wanna make sure what i get will work internal with the advanced vpn interface. Thanks!

As long as you can obtain the OpenVPN configuration files from the VPN provider you should be able to use it with our VPN feature.

Well, I got it to work without having to do anything to the router.  Just followed a video online how to hook up the VPN with my Fire Stick.  I guess the only downside is I can't use it with any other device on my network...but I really only wanted it for the Fire Stick.