Crazy lag out of nowhere

I'm not sure where you heard this, but neither me or Fraser have seen this rumour on the forum or anywhere else. This shouldn't occur when you factory reset the Netduma.

No factory reset will not freeze the netduma at all,I honestly don't think it can do any harm once in a while,factory reset and an unplug for 10 mins won't hurt anything

oh okay great i will factory reset and wait for 10 minutes, the ping plotter test will stop though is that okay??

hi BENORMOUS i would factory reset but there has been rumours going round that doing so will freeze the duma, so what i have been doing is rebooting the duma once every hour before i started the pingplotter test.

Yeah would have to agree that a factory reset wouldn't cause a freezing issue, some do it after every update for the duma without any issues.

I'm sure your issue will get sorted and most times it's something simple, like a cable (happened to me awhile back) or an ISP issue (not so simple) but the PP results are kind of all over the place plus some packet loss (the red).

What else was running on your network while you were doing the test ?

oh okay great i will factory reset and wait for 10 minutes, the ping plotter test will stop though is that okay??

And yes you can always start a new plot after the factory reset and post those results.

Yeah would have to agree that a factory reset wouldn't cause a freezing issue, some do it after every update for the duma without any issues.

I'm sure your issue will get sorted and most times it's something simple, like a cable (happened to me awhile back) or an ISP issue (not so simple) but the PP results are kind of all over the place plus some packet loss (the red).

What else was running on your network while you were doing the test ?

i was running my xbox, pc and my phone

Yes mate, that's fine no worries after ten minutes post up a pic and just leave it running. I'm guessing though if it screws up at the r1 then we need to sort that first.

Try a different cable or port as colonic suggested. Even new cables can be faulty

I had a similar issue with BT and it turned out I needed new filters in the socket.

Looking at final destination values there is not a lot to like about that.

Is brightbox cable or fibre or dsl?

You need to get in touch with your isp and tell them that you are getting a lot of packet loss and a round trip ping if 232ms.

That is why your gaming is suffering. That is pretty much unplayable on a fps game like cod.

There are spikes there up to 1519 ms that's one and a half seconds.

• Netduma Staff

Just to clarify, are you from the UK? If so try pinging a UK site. It still won't account for why this is so bad however; you'll likely need to follow Bagsta's advice. Keep the pingplotter results as evidence and give it to your ISP; and really stress to them that you've got a bad line and they are accountable. (ISP's can be very annoying when it comes to getting a problem fixed).

This is definitely nothing to do with the Netduma itself.

Looking at final destination values there is not a lot to like about that.

Is brightbox cable or fibre or dsl?

You need to get in touch with your isp and tell them that you are getting a lot of packet loss and a round trip ping if 232ms.

That is why your gaming is suffering. That is pretty much unplayable on a fps game like cod.

There are spikes there up to 1519 ms that's one and a half seconds.

my brightbox i think is cable

Just to clarify, are you from the UK? If so try pinging a UK site. It still won't account for why this is so bad however; you'll likely need to follow Bagsta's advice. Keep the pingplotter results as evidence and give it to your ISP; and really stress to them that you've got a bad line and they are accountable. (ISP's can be very annoying when it comes to getting a problem fixed).

This is definitely nothing to do with the Netduma itself.

yes i will try and contact them asap and tell them this information thank you, i will let you now what happens

Regardless of the type of connection you have that is a really bad looking graph.

It doesn't look like cable jitter, it looks like something is seriously wrong there.

But it could just be a knackered ethernet cable and nothing more.

You need to test straight from your laptop to your ISP hub/modem, over ethernet, and see if that looks ok.

(This way the Duma is out of the equation and you are only using one ethernet cable at a time).

If it still looks horrible then try another ethernet cable.

If that still looks horrible then try all your ethernet cables.

And if there's more than one port in the ISP hub/modem, then try a different port and repeat.

If it still looks nasty then you know that it's either:

All of your cables OR your ISP hub/modem OR your ISP itself is suffering some problem.

(You'd better call your ISP and/or buy some more cables).

If it looks ok then we can start trouble-shooting your setup, as we will then know that it is a problem within your home/setup.

You can factory-reset your Netduma but you're better off checking that it's not your ISP first.

Also, check your ISP's forum. If they're doing some maintenance or something then you can stop testing because there's nothing you can in that situation anyway.

There's no issue with Netdumas freezing when factory reset from miscellaneous settings. I've done it several times myself when trying to resolve a problem (which turned out to be my ISP and my ISP hub). There is also no rumour of this lock-up that I'm aware of, if you have seen something written about this somewhere, please link us to it so we can investigate this.

Yeah something is seriously wrong if your first hop to the duma is 12.1,something is very wrong,then it goes to 34.3 and hop 3 is 226.4 then back to 62.5 so I would agree you should be definitely getting in touch with your ISP,could be a bad box,line issues etc.

But that is definitely not the norm no matter what kind of ISP service you have...DSL,cable or fiber.

Yeah something is seriously wrong if your first hop to the duma is 12.1,something is very wrong,then it goes to 34.3 and hop 3 is 226.4 then back to 62.5 so I would agree you should be definitely getting in touch with your ISP,could be a bad box,line issues etc.

But that is definitely not the norm no matter what kind of ISP service you have...DSL,cable or fiber.

Keep us update loopy.

Regardless of the type of connection you have that is a really bad looking graph.

It doesn't look like cable jitter, it looks like something is seriously wrong there.

But it could just be a knackered ethernet cable and nothing more.

You need to test straight from your laptop to your ISP hub/modem, over ethernet, and see if that looks ok.

(This way the Duma is out of the equation and you are only using one ethernet cable at a time).

If it still looks horrible then try another ethernet cable.

If that still looks horrible then try all your ethernet cables.

And if there's more than one port in the ISP hub/modem, then try a different port and repeat.

If it still looks nasty then you know that it's either:

All of your cables OR your ISP hub/modem OR your ISP itself is suffering some problem.

(You'd better call your ISP and/or buy some more cables).

If it looks ok then we can start trouble-shooting your setup, as we will then know that it is a problem within your home/setup.

But there is no point factory-resetting your Netduma at this point, not until we are certain that your ISP is fine and your cables are ok.

Also, check your ISP's forum. If they're doing some maintenance or something then you can stop testing because there's nothing you can in that situation anyway.

There's no issue with Netdumas freezing when factory reset from miscellaneous settings. I've done it several times myself when trying to resolve a problem (which turned out to be my ISP and my ISP hub). There is also no rumour of this lock-up that I'm aware of, if you have seen something written about this somewhere, please link us to it so we can investigate this.

i have posted the issue on my ISP forum and they are asking for my DSL status of my router, they also wanted to know what exchange i am in, my ping to BBC.co.uk and my tracert to my game server.

I have given them the information and no reply yet

• Administrators

i have posted the issue on my ISP forum and they are asking for my DSL status of my router, they also wanted to know what exchange i am in, my ping to BBC.co.uk and my tracert to my game server.

I have given them the information and no reply yet

Great to hear they've responded, hopefully once they've had some time to look over the info they'll get back to you.

It does not matter what the trace route to gaming server is. Or what speed test to BBC is as your line is so bad.

Do a pingplotter test to BBC.co.uk and show them the results as that's seems to be their chosen server.

The pp pic shows how bad it is.

This is typical of isp trying to fob you off till you give up.

Many of the people answering on these forums work off a tick box type thing and don't have a clue what they are on about hence asking you to do a speed rest or find trace route to game server

Don't take it, keep at them.

Yeah unfortunately dealing with an ISP when it comes to problems "on their end" can be a difficult task as for the most part the like to blame "the customer"

I've been thru the same thing your going thru but on the other side of the pond,seems like you guys over there have better internet than we do and more people willing to actually fix it,damn UK'ers... ;)

But like bags said you have to stay on them and show them your PP results as they don't lie.Here's a tip for you.. if their ever going to send a test out to your house do yourself a favor and remove the duma from your set up as that's the first thing they will blame for the issue, at least in my case.I got the old "it's that 3rd party router as it looks cheaply made" LMAO I explained that this little white box and the technology inside it absolutely crushes anything they could offer me.So I just unplugged it from my set up and plugged directly into my (their) modem and had the same exact results.

But they won't fix anything without a battle, be nice (I took the other road) but it will get you results faster, be firm and point out your results and explain that it it not acceptable for your connection to look like that.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.