Crazy lag out of nowhere

Please help i think i know the reason for the lag but i just dont know how to stop it, when i go onto the network monitor it shows that my upload is 40-50% of the internet, i lower the upload percentage on congestion control and it stays at 40-50%, this is causing crazy lag on every game that i play. Thanks for any help given

All devices are connected to the netduma and i get lag that goes around to 200-500ms. It does for like 30 seconds its okay and then for another minute i get juddery lag

my upload percentage is on average around 40% which i dont know why and i think that might be the problem, and i dont seem to be able to lower that no matter what it do

• Netduma Staff

All devices are connected to the netduma and i get lag that goes around to 200-500ms. It does for like 30 seconds its okay and then for another minute i get juddery lag

my upload percentage is on average around 40% which i dont know why and i think that might be the problem, and i dont seem to be able to lower that no matter what it do

Try out these settings:

- 1000km Distance

- 0 Ping Assist
- Strict Mode On
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

Please screenshot the internet diagnosis test, and also take note of your base ping shown there. As for the upload, what device is using up 40% of your upload? Disable that device and try playing. Even using up 40% shouldn't cause much lag. You should be able to figure out what's using all the upload from the network monitor and diagnose the issue on that device.

There is an option somewhere to save pic, or do a screen grab and upload it.

Make the plot length a few hours by right clicking on it and selecting a suitable length of time

Go to more reply options on forum post to find pic options

Ok you want to run it to somewhere like BBC.com or Twitter. That way we can see all the hops and final destination however if that is just the r1 then you have a problem
Try making sure your Ethernet cable is in firmly or try changing the cable.
That does not look good.

As Bags says, in that graph you're only pinging the R1 itself, you need to ping a large local(ish) server like bbc.co.uk or twitter (uk) to check your line.

But now we can see, as you're only pinging the R1 in that graph, there's a problem there anyway. Let's resolve that first.

Replace the network cable, test for 5-10mins by pinging the R1 as you were, if that doesn't clean it up then try a different port on your Netduma.

Check the cable is seated properly (clicked properly in both ends) and that there's no dust in the ports.

Your ping from a laptop to the Duma, over ethernet, should be about 1ms or less. There shouldn't be any spikes or packet loss at all.

Make sure the 'trace interval' is set to 2.5 seconds, in case it's set to 1 second or lower.

You only need to test for 5-10mins while checking this. That should be plenty long enough for us to see if the issue is resolved.

• Netduma Staff

There's some great advice above; I would advise following ColonicBoom and Bagsta's suggestions. In future, the best Pingplotter results are gathered from sites like Twitter.com. Let us know how you get on.

Have you done a factory reset of the duma from the miscellaneous page?I'd do a few factory resets one after another as sometimes it doesn't quite clear everything correctly,once you have done that I would unplug the duma for 10 mins and retry ping plotter,which port are you plugged into when testing this?have you tried others ports?

• Netduma Staff

hi BENORMOUS i would factory reset but there has been rumours going round that doing so will freeze the duma, so what i have been doing is rebooting the duma once every hour before i started the pingplotter test.

I'm not sure where you heard this, but neither me or Fraser have seen this rumour on the forum or anywhere else. This shouldn't occur when you factory reset the Netduma.