Nat type question

So I'll give a quick description of how my setup is first then explain my problem. I play on my PS4 in my bedroom which is ~30 feet from the living room where the main router is. In the living room I have the modem provided to me from my isp, then from there an ASUS router. From the ASUS I have a powerline adapter connected which I have in my room connected to my Netduma, then from there my PS4 wired to my duma. So modem > ASUS > powerline adapter > Netduma > PS4. The problem I am having when I play any type of call of duty I am getting a moderate to strict nat type. I went to the ASUS interface and put my duma into dmz and that didn't change anything. I noticed that the powerline adapter also has its own up address, so I have also tried putting that into dmz which also did not help. On the Netduma end I have UPNP enabled and have done port forwarding for my PS4 and still can't get an open nat type. Is there anything else I need to do on the ASUS end? Hopefully I explained this well enough but if not just let me know and I can give more info. Thank you for anyone's help

put the duma ip address into the dmz of the asus and enable upnp on the asus and the duma and delete all port forwarding rules. then untick upnp on the duma and click apply then retick upnp and click apply......then reboot the asus and once it is fully up and running reboot the duma.......that should work as i have an asus and the netduma........powerlines arent the best for gaming and can cause some problems.

• Administrators

Sounds like you have a lot of conflicting ports, try Big Dogs advice and let us know how you get on. Also with that setup you're not able to make the most of the R1 as you can't use the congestion control properly. A better setup would be modem > R1 > PLA > Asus (AP mode), this would likely also help with your NAT issue.

Exactly what Fraser said, with your current set up your not able to use all the features of the duma, and some of the better one's IMO,CC is a huge deal on most people's home networks.

And give Big Dog's advice a try as I would agree that you've got conflicting ports witch may be the cause of your issue or at least part of it.

So I took big dog's advice and rearranged my setup, and I also ticked enabled port forwarding, and I have had an open nat without it changing for the past two days. Thank you for the reply and the help. I do have another question though regarding ping assist and I tried searching the forums but couldn't find a definitive answer. I ran a diagnostic test to find my ping and the average is coming out to about 22ms. I've read that ~10-15ms should be added to that number to what the ping assist should be set at, so I usually set it to 40ms with strict mode enabled. I've been finding that I connect to servers with 70-90ms and one yesterday with 900ms. Why does it connect me to those and what can I do to prevent it?

if you use ping assist along with setting the radius of your game search the ping assist will only find games of a ping max you have set if it cannot find a game in that radius while searching for lobbies. if you want to just use ping assist then reduce the redius to it's minimum which is about 60 miles i think. BUT REMEMBER THAT ANY CHANGES YOU MAKE WILL NOT AFFACT YOUR GAME SEARCHES FOR ROUGHLY 2 MINS TO AVOID CHEATING. 

glad I could help with the nat 

6051426933.png

So I might be missing the point of the PA. I know the gel filter restricts the area you connect to, and the PA will allow you to connect to a server that is outside of your range if it matches the criteria...but does it not restrict you from connecting to a server that is 50ms higher than what I am set to? Shouldn't I only be connecting to servers that are 40ms and below?