Should I get a standalone Openreach modem?

Hi,

One thing i did forget to mention, which is a slight negative, is the fact that when using the HG612, congestion control sliders for download doesnt work too well. My download speed is usually 74/75MB on the infinity 2 package, and when i set the sliders to 99% the download speed drops to 55MB or so. Now before anyone asks me with regards to settings I can confidently say ive tried everything. The only way i could find a way to get around the issue was by having a static IP which BT dont provide. Redbull2k has a similar sort of setup as mine and i was on the phone to him for 2 days in a row for about 3 hours approximately trying to fix it but to no avail. If you need to know more details hit him up and im sure he'll have more of an idea with whats going on. He's good as gold, cannot thank him enough for the patience he has shown me.

Regards,

Luke: thanks, yeah I've since noticed it occurs with the Dutch server too even when it's not lagging/stuttering. The bad game on the UK server was obviously a coincidence.

Haven't seen anymore 900ms+ random spikes today. Instead I'm getting either flatline 6ms or 8ms depending on the UK server I connect to and it plays like crap, woohoo! Hit detection is awful, aim assist is wonky. Love it!

The kicking was definitely more frequent since picking up the R1 though. Before that it kicked me instantly from prelobbies maybe once a week. On the first day with the R1 I could barely find a game because of it, even when opening up my radius to cover the four nearest servers and waiting for anti-cheat to kick in.

• Administrators

That is a fantastic ping so you shouldn't be having a bad experience. Is it spiking/fluctuating at all? Have you done an internet diagnostics test to see how stable your base ping is or a pingplotter test? You definitely shouldn't be getting kicked if you have dedicated servers within your radius. Does anything appear blocked when this happens?

Nah Fraser, it's very stable. I could run a test even before picking up my new Netduma and even leaving it for hours, I'd be "lucky" to see it hit 10ms once or twice. In-game the most it fluctuates is from say 7.8ms to 8.1ms.

Most of my better games seem to be when connecting to France at 18ms or so, but I can't replicate the good games and find ANY consistency. The experience can change from game to game even in the same lobby with the same players. One game it'll be smooth and I get enough time to react, the next I'm dead before I could possibly be dead. Then you have the wonky aim assist where it'll get "stuck behind" an enemy's player model, basically making them invincible. The funny part is I've had better games flooding my line on WiFi with Twitch streams, YouTube or downloads... I'd actually get much more time to react.

I've been watching this one guy on Twitch who, like me, is on BT in the UK. I asked to try his settings and it looks nothing like his gameplay. His hit detection is always crisp, and if he's outplaying the other guy you'll see him take them out before they even attempt to aim down sight or react. His hit detection is visibly and audibly... better! He can actually afford to use half my sensitivity and yet I often can't react fast enough supposedly (I've got a PC monitor too, no worries regarding input lag). Most of my UK friends who have a better experience are further north or in Scotland on 15-30ms connections in-game, yet everything is faster and smoother for them. I know the game is capable of giving me solid connections because I do get them... after every 50 awful ones on the same server!

Base ping is incredibly stable. I can't post a screenshot from my phone so I'll copy the numbers over from one I ran just now:

Ping

Jitter

Spikes

Packet Loss

Exceptional Exceptional Exceptional No Loss

Show Details

Ping

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=57 time=8.968 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=57 time=8.841 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=57 time=8.848 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=57 time=8.916 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=57 time=8.977 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=5 ttl=57 time=8.691 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=6 ttl=57 time=8.992 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=7 ttl=57 time=8.990 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=8 ttl=57 time=9.008 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=9 ttl=57 time=9.293 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=10 ttl=57 time=9.062 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=11 ttl=57 time=8.842 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=12 ttl=57 time=8.861 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=13 ttl=57 time=8.886 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=14 ttl=57 time=8.891 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=15 ttl=57 time=8.945 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=16 ttl=57 time=8.985 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=17 ttl=57 time=8.972 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=18 ttl=57 time=8.748 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=19 ttl=57 time=9.277 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

20 packets transmitted, 20 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max = 8.691/8.949/9.293 ms

So as you can see I'm certainly not having lag issues lol. I get more like 8ms dead on to the UK Choopa IW server, although for some reason one of them gives me 6ms. Aren't they all in the same location?

Strange but welcome update: just got on for my first game. I actually turned my geofilter off just to see how "regular matchmaking" is and to monitor connections to different servers/hosts. After leaving about 9 late joins in a row I found a lobby. Nothing unusual; it was on the UK server and I had a steady 7.5ms. Started the game and from the off it felt different. Hit reg was crisp, no WTF moments, no feeling behind the action. It looks like a regular connection that I see others get often but it was so unusual for me I had to record the game. I'll attach a couple of screenshots showing the ping and dots on the map.

Most of them were in the UK. Could this be the reason it played so well for me? I don't normally get that many people connecting from afar, except for the odd middle eastern/Balkan/Scandinavian, but most of those local games don't play as well as this did. Plus when I refer to those players who seem to have consistently better experiences high latency players don't seem to affect their game either. You can watch the game here if you like; maybe you could tell me if this is what 7ms should look like, because smooth games like this are a rare sight for me lol:

The first time I cut the UK out of my filter and kept only the Dutch/French/German servers in there, the very first game on was marvellous but it all went to sh*t soon after and I struggled to find the same success again. I will definitely try it again though.

Edit: forgot to add it shows the large circle in France there, but it changed to the one on the south coast of the UK a few seconds later. Forgot to take another screenshot at the end of the game. It can't have been France with 7ms~ anyway.

post-9329-0-79114900-1486988711_thumb.jpg

post-9329-0-84178600-1486988721_thumb.jpg

Mate this is unreal. Every game, every lobby, every random server I get put on to with the geofilter disabled... smooth as butter. I'm only dying when I get outplayed or miss shots, which is more frequent than I'd like right now as I'm feeling shaky haha. 7ms to England, 15ms to France or Netherlands, doesn't matter... it FEELS like 7ms or 15ms. I'm not getting melted by 160ms Saudis either which makes a change ;)

It can't be because I disabled the geofilter because the game was crap for me before I got another Duma. I'm just worried it'll all pass very quickly and descend into rage-inducing lie fests again lol

I'll turn the filter back on and see how playing on the UK server only works out.

Just got the most insanely smooth connection in a game since Ghosts. Holy crap is it a joy to play when you're not screaming "nope!" at lies every 30 seconds :D

Does it get even better when I ditch the Smart Hub and pick up a seperate modem? ;)

if it's running smoothly then leave it how it is,if it ain't broke don't try and fix it

Yeah FINALLY! I haven't had any kind of consistency with fair feeling games since Ghosts, which was flawless 99% of the time. Funny considering the Virgin Media cable line I was on liked spiking from 14 to 40ms every second or so; not a ton of jitter, but it was always there. BO3 was miserable with all the middle easterns getting shoved on to EU servers, but at least it played well when lobbies were all local. IW was mostly miserable in every lobby lol

Hopefully I'm not cursing myself ;)