Should I get a standalone Openreach modem?

Hi guys, finally going to be replacing my broken R1 this week. Currently I'm on BT Infinity and using nothing but the Smart Hub, with a short VDSL cable from faceplate to Hub and then a long Ethernet cable upstairs to my PS4. When I was with Virgin Media I just had to switch over to modem only mode and voilà. I can't find a similar option so I'd imagine I'd need to add my R1 to the Smart Hub's DMZ, but would getting a seperate fibre modem work better? Would it offer better performance in any way?

If there's no benefit to using a separate modem I won't bother. I'll just have to find a walkthrough for using the R1 with a modem/router

i ditched the smart hub as soo as i switched to bt and used my own ASUS dsl ac58u. I also posess a draytek vigor 130 modem which connects to my netduma. i have better performance with this than the smart hub and the home hub5 before that.

I would.

Actually, I did.

But my hub was definitely causing me problems.

I'm not with BT so don't know how good/bad their hubs are.

If you don't mind spending £30-£40, then it doesn't hurt to find out I suppose.

i have an exchange that is eci so i bought a draytek modem that has a lantiq chipset which is what eci is compatible with. some echanges and cabinets are hauwei and they are better with a broadcom chipset. you would be best finding which street cabinet you are connected to has eci or hauwei and get the right modem to go with it.

Ive been with BT infinity for a while now, and i can confidently assure you that there HH's are straight balls. This for me, imo, is a no brainer. Take Zens advice, get yourself a HG612 after researching your cabinet and you wont regret it. They dont cost much over on Ebay and they're easy to flash so you dont have to pay an extra £10 just for it being g.inp enabled. Hope this helps.

Ive been with BT infinity for a while now, and i can confidently assure you that there HH's are straight balls. This for me, imo, is a no brainer. Take Zens advice, get yourself a HG612 after researching your cabinet and you wont regret it. They dont cost much over on Ebay and they're easy to flash so you dont have to pay an extra £10 just for it being g.inp enabled. Hope this helps.

I was lucky when I bought mine the hype was not massive and I only paid £17 and I flashed it myself, you do have to have a bit of tech about you to get the thing flashed but if you can follow instructions you should be all good :)

Mine cost me £40 because I was really slow at taking the advice to buy one.

And I paid more so it was ready-to-go because I'd beat Garfield in a 'lazy' contest.

It works great though.

LMAO,when Yoda speaks...

Thanks for all the replies guys.

New Netduma turned up today (HYPE), I'll pick up a new modem when (if) I manage to work out what the best option for my setup is lol. For the mean time, how do I want to go about setting it up with the BT Smart Hub? I wish it had the modem mode that I had on my VM Superhub to simplify things

Xbox one > Geo-filter over the UK and the north of Europe.

Congestion control with my bandwidth set > 70% each way, share excess flower reset equal for all devices.

Console in Hyper traffic > deep packet off > ipv6 off in misc > WAN & LAN.

I leave it and play, I do not look at ping graphs or the GUI at all.

Yeah I normally ignore the graph Zen, but I knew something was up when red hexagons kept popping up, it was stuttering and 9 or 10/12 people in my lobbies (excluding me) kept dropping to 1 bar. I checked the graph and I was on a UK server, but it kept spiking to 950-990ms from 8ms every second or so.

I've since experimented with filter settings, and have no issues since cutting out the UK. I now have my home set between the triangle covering the Netherlands, France and Germany, PA 0ms and strict on. No more issues, fair gunfights, no BS.

HOWEVER, I still get kicked from 90% of prelobbies a couple of seconds after joining. Never had any of that nonsense on BO3. At least with those three servers I get smooth games (13ms to NL, 20ms to FR/GER), but I'm seriously struggling to find games of core TDM. I don't want to turn my filter off because I wish to avoid the melting UK servers like the plague.

• Netduma Staff

Yeah I normally ignore the graph Zen, but I knew something was up when red hexagons kept popping up, it was stuttering and 9 or 10/12 people in my lobbies (excluding me) kept dropping to 1 bar. I checked the graph and I was on a UK server, but it kept spiking to 950-990ms from 8ms every second or so.

I've replied to your Twitter post. In short, it's very unlikely that a reading of 900+ for such a close server is correct - and even if the server is mis-located, that ping is still huge. It's quite likely a graphics error caused by running the ping graph on a PS4 interface, which is why I asked you to check it on Chrome or Firefox. However, posting the server in the thread I linked you on Twitter will let us take a look at it. We'll let you know when you post the server ID whether it was mis-located.

I've since experimented with filter settings, and have no issues since cutting out the UK. I now have my home set between the triangle covering the Netherlands, France and Germany, PA 0ms and strict on. No more issues, fair gunfights, no BS.

HOWEVER, I still get kicked from 90% of prelobbies a couple of seconds after joining. Never had any of that nonsense on BO3. At least with those three servers I get smooth games (13ms to NL, 20ms to FR/GER), but I'm seriously struggling to find games of core TDM. I don't want to turn my filter off because I wish to avoid the melting UK servers like the plague.

The kicking happens for me even if I have no geo filter on or use my billion router, so do not worry it is a game issue.

I would always use a stand alone over an ISP combo.

Here is the the street cabinets always match the chipset to the cab.

And get the correct version of firmware to enable G.inp for the Hauwei models or you will have a high interleaving set if not.

G.inp is fast path with on the fly error correction this keeps your ping's low, where as interleaving adds latency headroom for error correction 8ms per interleave depth.

G.inp is only running on Huawei at the mo, i have been following it closely but dont hold much hope.