Netflix usage not affected by congestion control

For some reason, Netflix usage does not show up under the network monitor and is not affected by congestion control, even though the laptop is using the Netduma wifi. Other usage, such as watching Youtube videos or just browsing the web does show up. Since congestion control isn't affecting the Netflix usage, playing online games is impossible because I constantly have 150-800 ping with packet loss. I've tried using the device prioritization, for both upload and download, with and without share excess ticked. I've tried changing the download cap down to 10%, and Netflix is still unaffected. What's even weirder is that Netflix usage has once before shown on the network monitor and I was able to use the device prioritization and had no problems, but it's only happened once. I have 17 megabit down, and 3 megabit up. Are there any suggestions as to what could cause this and what I can do to fix this problem?

100%. It's using the Netduma's wifi. The modem doesn't have wifi anyway, unless you meant something else.

That's what I meant, wasn't sure if it was a modem/router combo from the ISP...

I just couldn't think of anything else off the top of my head that would allow this issue to occur.

I don't have Netflix anymore so can't test it myself I'm afraid.

Are you simply watching Netflix through the laptop's browser?

And literally nothing is showing up on the Network Monitor for the laptop whilst you're doing this?

I assume you've done so already but if not reboot the Netduma, in case it's having a funny 5 minutes.

And can you try using a different computer to view the Network Monitor while running Netflix on the laptop and see if it still happens?

And you're best to use Chrome for the Netduma interface if you're not already.

Are you simply watching Netflix through the laptop's browser?

And literally nothing is showing up on the Network Monitor for the laptop whilst you're doing this?

I assume you've done so already but if not reboot the Netduma, in case it's having a funny 5 minutes.

And can you try using a different computer to view the Network Monitor while running Netflix on the laptop and see if it still happens?

And you're best to use Chrome for the Netduma interface if you're not already.

Correct.

Only between 1-7 kbit of download and upload from it.

Rebooted. Nothing changed.

Same thing. Watching a show and looking at the network monitor on two different computers and only 1-7 kbit of usage appears.

Used chrome for both.

There should be no reason congestion control wouldn't be taking effect for Netflix as long as all devices are connecting to the R1. Please try the above suggestions and let us know how you get on.

No change. I dropped the download cap to 10% again, and there was absolutely no change in the stream.

I noticed that the laptop is not within the DHCP range of 100-199, and instead has an IP of 192.168.88.206, even though it doesn't have a static IP set on the laptop. Could this have anything to do with it?

Another question related to the network monitor. I have noticed impossible random spikes of 40 gigabit downloads from my PC when not doing anything. Even the performance monitor on my PC shows nothing. What causes this, and is it related to the issue I'm having with Netflix?

After trying to figure out why the laptop had an IP outside of the DHCP range, I found that there were two different spots where I found the laptop's IP. One said it was getting the IP automatically. The other said it had a static IP. After setting the second one to dynamic as well, the network usage appears in the network monitor. Congestion control now works and there is no lag. 

A few questions still though. Why was it not appearing in the network monitor, even thought it was using the Netduma's wifi? And my second was my above question about the impossible download spikes.

• Administrators

Where was it set to static? Very interesting, I don't know why it does that, it must be a bug. Must not have "known" it was connected as it wasn't inside the DHCP range, very interesting I'll look into it. 

Did you see those spikes when you just went onto the Network Monitor page? If so that is just a graphical glitch and should start representing it accurately.

Where was it set to static? Very interesting, I don't know why it does that, it must be a bug. Must not have "known" it was connected as it wasn't inside the DHCP range, very interesting I'll look into it. 

Did you see those spikes when you just went onto the Network Monitor page? If so that is just a graphical glitch and should start representing it accurately.

I'm not sure on the exact location, but somewhere under the network adapter properties. My PC has a static IP, but I've never had this issue with the network monitor.

They're just random. Sometimes within a few seconds of opening the page, and sometimes several minutes.

• Administrators

Okay well I'll look into it so we can make sure that's fixed for DumaOS. 

It is likely when it gets a surge of data that didn't register straight away so it 'adds' it up. That would be my best guess and not anything to worry about.

• Administrators

Is it normal to have a high network usage when looking at the network monitor? Sometimes it's above 1 megabit download according to my performance monitor. 

It could just be when you switch over to the network monitor tab that it catches up. Are you downloading/streaming? You have 17mbps so it is not that much in comparison.

It could just be when you switch over to the network monitor tab that it catches up. Are you downloading/streaming? You have 17mbps so it is not that much in comparison.

It takes a few minutes of viewing the monitor for it to get that high. Not downloading or anything. The task manager shows chrome as the only program using the internet, and it eventually gets above 1 megabit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem with my own PC now. I have the download cap to 70%, but my PC is downloading a windows update at 19 Mbps and the network monitor shows nothing again. I got rid of the static IP for my PC, and it didn't change anything. Same for restarting router.

http://puu.sh/u0vnM/8d19113831.png

• Administrators

Is everything connected to the Netduma? Open command prompt on your PC and type in ipconfig, look for the IP address of your PC, cross reference this with the Netduma device manager to make sure it's the one you think it is and rename if necessary. Still not showing on the graph?

Is everything connected to the Netduma?

Open command prompt on your PC and type in ipconfig, look for the IP address of your PC, cross reference this with the Netduma device manager to make sure it's the one you think it is and rename if necessary.

Still not showing on the graph?

Yes. 

Addresses match.

I should have clarified. The red portion of the graph is my PC, but as you can see, there isn't 19 Mbps of downloads showing. It's the same issue as I was having with Netflix not showing up, but on my PC now.

Yes. 

Addresses match.

I should have clarified. The red portion of the graph is my PC, but as you can see, there isn't 19 Mbps of downloads showing. It's the same issue as I was having with Netflix not showing up, but on my PC now.

When in doubt, factory reset.

• Administrators

Try the above if you're happy to do so or:

Post in the 1 on 1 section: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/and I will have a look. Please note I need around a days notice.

Please read this first before making the post: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/11450-read-before-posting-a-1-on-1-request/

When in doubt, factory reset.

Try the above if you're happy to do so or:

Post in the 1 on 1 section: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/and I will have a look. Please note I need around a days notice.

Please read this first before making the post: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/11450-read-before-posting-a-1-on-1-request/

If I factory reset, do I need to upgrade my firmware again?