DumaOS Announcement: Development Progress & Testing

Netduma Luke

There's some interesting stuff going on in that screenshot. Anti-queueing I understand, but Application Breakdown, RAM Usage, Flash Usage...what does this all mean?!?

I think you just broke my brain Iain.

Ram is like the short term memory of the the router that allows it to juggle different tasks. Similar to the idea of RAM in a computer or phone etc. Flash usage is the amount of space the router has left available similar to the idea of that of a hard drive. Not sure what application breakdown is, probably literally just that. A break down of all installed apps within the router.

Well there maybe stuff in there that could be patent pending or anything really, I think it looks lovely. :)

Trueee. I actually forgot that there was parents needed for certain things. One of them being the antijitter correct? I'm sure there's more I'm not aware of, of course. But your probably right they don't wanna show off to much because they wouldn't want someone to copy their ideas without having it written on paper as "their own". Maybe that wasn't the best way to word it but I get where your going with that.

you could always flash the netgear with dd-wrt and it will change it's performance completely. Not as good as the netduma but stock firmware on netgear is shite!

I flash all my routers with DD-WRT. It sucks you can't bridge 2 routers with oem software.

I know with the ability to start up with apps I'll limit the amount that run on the router.

I need my 97% sliders, my anti-jitter and anti-spike, geo-filter and I'm set!

I thought in the newly made QoS you can have your sliders at 100% and still have the same effect so as to keep more of your speed?

Ram is like the short term memory of the the router that allows it to juggle different tasks. Similar to the idea of RAM in a computer or phone etc. Flash usage is the amount of space the router has left available similar to the idea of that of a hard drive. Not sure what application breakdown is, probably literally just that. A break down of all installed apps within the router.

Errr...not what I meant. I'm well aware of what RAM and Flash is.

I meant why is RAM and Flash usage in the Duma OS, let alone in a position of prominence? It appears we have the ability to install apps, but why?

Stuff like SNMP monitoring I get (it doesn't work properly on the current OS using an app like PeakHour), but I'm somewhat confused by the listings in Application breakdown. Is it pass-through network monitoring from other LAN devices, or from apps on-board the R1?

Ergo, my brain done broke considering the possibilities opened up by apps and what this means for NetDuma as a QoS gaming device, both positively and negatively.

Surely the hardware was not originally spec'd for add-on apps, so RAM and Flash will be very limited. Are we going to have to choose between core OS features based on available memory? As A7 said, as long as I have access to my sliders, anti-jitter, anti-spike and geo-filter, I'm gold, but I don't want to sacrifice one feature to enable another due to memory limitations. Optional add-ons...sure, but not core system features.

Regardless of my speculation, it looks interesting and I'm patiently looking forward to getting my hands on Duma OS.

I'm wondering what the App Store icon does? Will we need to pay for addons perhaps? I see the pie chart made a return to the bandwidth control, I was hoping for a more precise way like entering a number for upload and download. Kinda hard to fine tune if more devices are added over time...

• Administrators

I am so excited mate! Can't begin to imagine how good it's gonna be! You da man Iain!... You da man :D hope your good mate!

No, you dah man! I'm good man how you doing? 

One comment i will make that looks as though it will be a problem for a minority (such as myself) is the device bandwidth allocation spider graph. With increasing devices on your home network, when you have around 30 (like me) you can only set device bandwidth to 3 or 4% before it affects the other devices on the slider, making it very difficult to control QOS device priority. 

Being a front-end designer and also involved in UX, my suggestion would be to allow a toggle to go to an old school device priority list to easily order devices by drag and drop. I realise it might not be feasible off the bat to cater for minorities in the initial releases, but would be greatly appreciated if it were included in post release updates.

feel free to add it to what i would imagine to be an already long list of user feature requests. ;-)

One comment i will make that looks as though it will be a problem for a minority (such as myself) is the device bandwidth allocation spider graph. With increasing devices on your home network, when you have around 30 (like me) you can only set device bandwidth to 3 or 4% before it affects the other devices on the slider, making it very difficult to control QOS device priority. 

Being a front-end designer and also involved in UX, my suggestion would be to allow a toggle to go to an old school device priority list to easily order devices by drag and drop. I realise it might not be feasible off the bat to cater for minorities in the initial releases, but would be greatly appreciated if it were included in post release updates.

feel free to add it to what i would imagine to be an already long list of user feature requests. ;-)

Kinda difficult with the flower right, I have the same problem.

I also have many devices on my network, I may be speaking out of turn here as I am not anywhere near as tech savvy as yourself and your situation may be totally different to mine, but. I tick share excess and so when a device is not using any bandwidth it is available to the devices that are. 

In total I have around 16 devices on my home network and with share excess ticked I have not encountered a problem in over 2 years.

As I said your situation maybe totally different to mine and I am not in any way trying to teach you how to suck eggs. LOL. :) 

my suggestion would be to allow a toggle to go to an old school device priority list to easily order devices by drag and drop. I realise it might not be feasible off the bat to cater for minorities in the initial releases, but would be greatly appreciated if it were included in post release updates.

Good suggestion Rilla, stick it on the suggestions thread if you haven't already

I also have many devices on my network, I may be speaking out of turn here as I am not anywhere near as tech savvy as yourself and your situation may be totally different to mine, but. I tick share excess and so when a device is not using any bandwidth it is available to the devices that are. 

In total I have around 16 devices on my home network and with share excess ticked I have not encountered a problem in over 2 years.

As I said your situation maybe totally different to mine and I am not in any way trying to teach you how to suck eggs. LOL. :)

LMFAO! I have never heard that before, not trying to teach you how to suck eggs. I'll have to keep that one in mind. Thanks for the laugh mate :)