Vader's findings and Connection improvement tips.

Vader

Vader's findings and Connection improvement tips.

Was experiencing BS on halo 5 for example packet loss(NO BULLET REGISTRATION) or so I thought end results have a different culprit.

Although my ping was excellent and my jitter to the specified ip was between 1-5ms which is within reasonable levels for online fps gaming,I was still losing gunfights and always felt my enemy's had the jump on my so to speak. So I decided it was time to conduct a detailed experiment on my round trip ping times. 

I downloaded the pingplotter program free version on to my pc and started running traceroute ping tests. My network setup is as follows ISP HUB > R1 NETDUMA > XBOX/PC. Just to clarify all the necessary ports were opened and I had an open NAT. 

So I had the pingplotter program active and running in the background so I decided to watch youtube and let the test run, I switched back to the window while youtube was playing and on hop 2 which was my ISP hub which is the sky fibre SR102. I was having between 60-150ms of jitter on that hope which in turn effects the other hops along the route. Yet my end ping was showing no signs of this jitter. I had Congestion Control active on the r1  my ping was low and my jitter to the last hop which is the specified ip like 8.8.8.8 which is Google's dns server was a low 10ms with 1/2ms of jitter. Yet pingplotter was reporting  100+ms on hop 2(ISP HUB). So even though CMD was reporting 9ms and between 1-2 ms of jitter that information is gathered between the last two hops. Not the whole hop route.

This is will severely impact your gameplay online with people popping around corners already got shots on you and your left feeling there was no time to react or you suck. Alot of the things that was happening to me. I decided to buy a custom VDSL2 modem router combo and set it up with my own isp settings, after doing this I ran the same test youtube running and viewed pingplotter and my jitter was between 0.12ms and 0.80ms I was amazed that's a 150% reduction in jitter on my hop route.

I had to try online and guess what halo 5 played alot smoother people weren't ahead of me in terms of player seen, shots were registering that I thought it was originally packet loss turned out to be high jitter which delayed the bullets and then by the time the packets got to the server, the server had registered as a miss because the player was no long at that location.

Overall I am recommending that everyone download pingplotter and run this test and if there's an issue with your LAN then you can remedy it ASAP. If there's an issue which is outside your LAN environment then I would suggest identifying the problem hop and collected detailed statistics and evidence and then going to your ISP with it.

Happy gaming all.

Vader

Archived