VPN issue (I think)

Evening all, I know nothing about VPN. Story is, my wife brings home a laptop from work and usually connects to her work vpn without any issue, until last week when now she cant connect. Before she signs into vpn the laptop can connect fine with the internet. My R1 is connected to a VM superhub in modem mode. Laptop is fine as she has been able to sign into VPN in the office and we have also had a different laptop at home and issues are still the same. Glitch somewhere? I haven't recently changed anything in the R1 settings, any suggestions please. 

Disconnect from the Netduma and connect the laptop to the superhub hub and see if there is still an issue.

This will show you if its the duma at fault or maybe the VPN

• Netduma Staff

Will the vpn connect with the superhub in modem mode or will I need to put into router mode?

It should be fine in modem mode; disable turbo mode and switch to pre-emptive algorithm. Does that resolve the issue?

Cheers Netduma Jack, I left the laptop connected to the Duma and changed the settings you suggested (disable turbo mode & switch to pre-emptive) and now the laptop is working fine and connects to vpn, so thanks for that very much. Given the fact that the Duma control all my current devices either wireless or wired what will changing those setting do to my ps4 gaming experience? 

• Administrators

It will lower your speeds, depending on what they were before. However, gaming does not require much bandwidth so you will be fine in that regard. I would try switching to reactive to see if the VPN still works so you can squeeze out more speed.

It will lower your speeds, depending on what they were before. However, gaming does not require much bandwidth so you will be fine in that regard. I would try switching to reactive to see if the VPN still works so you can squeeze out more speed.

So I've switched back to reactive and vpn still working fine so issue is with turbo mode, I also tried checking the super turbo box and vpn is still able to connect. I don't know what the issue was as all these type settings haven't been changed for months? Bug, glitch, I don't know! What is turbo mode?

• Netduma Staff

So I've switched back to reactive and vpn still working fine so issue is with turbo mode, I also tried checking the super turbo box and vpn is still able to connect. I don't know what the issue was as all these type settings haven't been changed for months? Bug, glitch, I don't know! What is turbo mode?

Sounds like a bug, we'll try to get it fixed for DumaOS. Turbo mode is meant for people with speeds above 120mbps.

My speed is above that, about 135mbps, any sense in doing a factory reset, would be a pain but could/would it clear out the issue?? Gaming on ps4 has gone a lot downhill also since this issue.

Actually just done speedtest and about 235mbps when turbo is on, down to 96mbps when not on and same when super turbo is on. I know speed isnt the key when gaming but a big drop all the same. 

• Administrators

My speed is above that, about 135mbps, any sense in doing a factory reset, would be a pain but could/would it clear out the issue?? Gaming on ps4 has gone a lot downhill also since this issue.

No it wouldn't, it's an actual bug that other people can recreate. Having lower speeds would not affect your gameplay. If you are applying the VPN to your console on the other hand then that would make it worse.

Actually just done speedtest and about 235mbps when turbo is on, down to 96mbps when not on and same when super turbo is on. I know speed isnt the key when gaming but a big drop all the same. 

Yes we know it is not ideal but there is nothing we can do until DumaOS.

Just make sure you have everything else set up for speeds when you want to use the VPN:

Reactive Algorithm

100% anti-flood

Share excess enabled

Reset device prioritisation & apply

Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc

Disable deep packet in misc

Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.

Do a wired speed test from a PC

Archived