Having problems with NAT, audio stuttering and lag with Sky router

Hello chaps.

I recently moved from Virgin to Sky because of the terrible network performance and frequent all day drop outs (mur manetence on nurtwurk hurr durr). 

Thing is, I can't set my Sky router to modem mode, I can turn off UPnP, but not Port Forwarding, and I have (I think) set my Netduma correctly to DMZ in the Sky router page.

I still have NAT type issues, lag/audio stuttering (perhaps audio is down to the game servers or other variables?), and I'd like a bit of help fine tuning my setup.

Sky Hub --ethernet-- Netduma --ethernet-- PS4.

I know how to disable the geo filter etc, but that's not helping either, so I'm convinced that this is a port forwarding issue.

Any help or walkthrough would be appreciated.

:)

post-10573-0-09356400-1484654787_thumb.png

• Administrators

How come you are not able to disable port forwarding on the Sky router? 

Make sure you're using UPnP OR port forwarding on the R1 not both. Disable UPnP forwarding in miscellaneous settings as well.

Whats the typical ping you're getting as shown by the Geo-filter?

but not Port Forwarding

I still have NAT type issues, lag/audio stuttering (perhaps audio is down to the game servers or other variables?)

Port Forwarding won't be on at all unless you set it yourself on the Sky hub.

NAT issues relate to communications, joining friends, parties, game/party chat, etc.

If you mean the in-game audio stuttering (skipping sound dropouts), then I think it's a bug introduced since the last update.

I get it sometimes on the Xbox too, a quick reboot of the console seems to fix it - although it sometimes disappears when you change lobbies anyway.

I was playing in a party of four the other day and two of us were experiencing the skipping game sound but the other two weren't.

Regarding 'modem mode', or the lack of one, your best bet would be to disable the wifi on the Sky hub and make sure that the only device connected to it by ethernet is the Netduma.

That's what I had to do with my TalkTalk hub because it didn't have a modem mode.

Thanks Colonic.

It's great how you're knowledgeable enough to know that I was referring to The Division.

I'm still at work at the moment, but I'll go through the responses later to see if it helps. I get the issue with Destiny too sometimes, which is why I thought that it might be a port issue.

Regarding 'modem mode', or the lack of one, your best bet would be to disable the wifi on the Sky hub and make sure that the only device connected to it by ethernet is the Netduma.

That's what I had to do with my TalkTalk hub because it didn't have a modem mode.

I just looked and I need WIFI enabled to keep Sky Q working....

• Administrators

Okay so it's not a ping issue as that is fantastic. It is likely another issue. Sounds like its an update bug if Colonic has mentioned it then. 

I just looked and I need WIFI enabled to keep Sky Q working....

As long as you keep wireless devices connected to the R1 then you'll be able to prevent local congestion 

It's great how you're knowledgeable enough to know that I was referring to The Division.

I'm not, I was talking about Infinite Warfare and assumed you were too because several people have mentioned the issue to me lately (outside of the Duma army too).

In one party of four, two people had the constant sound stutter but the other two didn't.

This audio stuttering has started happening since the IW update a few days ago.

Doubt it's anything to do with port-forwarding though, it's the game audio for me not the chat audio.

It's worth clearing your console's cache, I'll do that myself next time I'm on.

Okay so it's not a ping issue as that is fantastic. It is likely another issue. Sounds like its an update bug if Colonic has mentioned it then. 

As long as you keep wireless devices connected to the R1 then you'll be able to prevent local congestion 

I'm experiencing chat stuttering both in in-game chat and party chat.... 

• Netduma Staff

Have you got your device prioritisation set without share excess enabled? I'd reset it anyway and set your Anti-flood to 70/70 to eliminate the chance. Check if you have this set-up:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc (Unless you know that you are on IPv6)
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

Chat stuttering sounds like it could be caused by things other than your network as well. Faulty headphone / wire, audio glitching after a recent update, something similar?

Have you got your device prioritisation set without share excess enabled? I'd reset it anyway and set your Anti-flood to 70/70 to eliminate the chance. Check if you have this set-up:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc (Unless you know that you are on IPv6)
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

Chat stuttering sounds like it could be caused by things other than your network as well. Faulty headphone / wire, audio glitching after a recent update, something similar?

Brand new headset (top of the range Sennheisers that work fine with other devices. 

Your settings have certainly improved my D/U speeds (even at 70%).

Even restarting my console does not help. If it's not a port issue, then perhaps it's a memory issue? I turn off my PS4 every night, so it's not a cache issue either.

This is so frustrating.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far :)

EDIT: OK, so I've had Spotify playing into my headset with no game active. This is certainly not a memory issue either, because it's still stuttering occasionally.

Could I be getting RF/WIFI interference?

Under the TV, I have PS4, Netduma, Sky router all on one shelf.

Underneath is a Sky Q box (but I had this issue before Sky Q was installed)

• Netduma Staff

Brand new headset (top of the range Sennheisers that work fine with other devices. 

Even restarting my console does not help. If it's not a port issue, then perhaps it's a memory issue? I turn off my PS4 every night, so it's not a cache issue either.

This is so frustrating.

Is your PS4 hard-drive nearly full? Also, are there any wireless connected devices in the room? Try to keep an eye on when the stuttering happens; if the headset is wireless then interference from something like a laptop could well be the cause.

• Administrators

It could be WiFi interference yes, I believe wireless headphones use 2.4GHz so it is possible. Can you connect your headphones to your phone and go in another room to try it, does it still occur then? 

My audio is acting up also ,  game audio goes louder when in game , not sure if its a related issue.

I think that is a setting available to change in the console audio settings.

• Netduma Staff

This is so frustrating.

EDIT: OK, so I've had Spotify playing into my headset with no game active. This is certainly not a memory issue either, because it's still stuttering occasionally.

Could I be getting RF/WIFI interference?

Under the TV, I have PS4, Netduma, Sky router all on one shelf.

Underneath is a Sky Q box (but I had this issue before Sky Q was installed)

Hey, just wanted to check if you've still got audio stuttering?

Archived