Got a new PC and can't connect to to internet through the NET duma

• Netduma Staff

Hi,

Basically, for christmas I got a PC, but I can't connect to the internet with it when using the netduma. If I plug it into my old router it lets me connect but not with the R1. I don't know if I am being really stupid or doing something really dumb, but I have checked everything and I can't connect when using the R1.

The only thing that happens is that the bit that says Local Area Connection in the network connections manger, it flashes on to the internet. Sometimes it works for 10-20 seconds but then it stops working again.

Has this happened to anyone else and if it did how did you fix it?

Thanks

Guest Netduma Luke

I'm not technical like the other guys so these suggestions could be useless:

1. On windows you are asked on a new connection what type it is. I set it to 'home' or something like that. Did you see this when you first plugged it in?

2. You didn't somehow set a static IP when you first plugged the PC into the old router?

3. Are you using the same cable to compare the connection to each router?

4. Does the light come on above the port on the netduma router that you are plugged into?

5. Have you reset both the PC and your R1?

6. Can you connect to the R1 wirelessly?

• Netduma Staff

I'm not technical like the other guys so these suggestions could be useless:

1. On windows you are asked on a new connection what type it is. I set it to 'home' or something like that. Did you see this when you first plugged it in?

2. You didn't somehow set a static IP when you first plugged the PC into the old router?

3. Are you using the same cable to compare the connection to each router?

4. Does the light come on above the port on the netduma router that you are plugged into?

5. Have you reset both the PC and your R1?

6. Can you connect to the R1 wirelessly?

Ok,

1. I think it did. At least it did for my old router but I can't remember if it did for the R1

2. No, defiantly didn't :)

3. Yes, same cable, just switching it between R1 and old Router

4. Yep, light comes on, and it tells me that it has connected usually on my PC as well but it says no internet access

5. Yes, I reset them both.

6. Yes, I can connect to it wirelessly and access the internet on my other devices

Thanks for your help! I hope this info is useful...

Guest Netduma Luke

So when you are diagnosing the fact you cannot connect via an Ethernet cable, have you disabled the wireless on your PC (i.e it's not getting confused by trying to connect to the R1 both wirelessly and via Ethernet)?

• Netduma Staff

So when you are diagnosing the fact you cannot connect via an Ethernet cable, have you disabled the wireless on your PC (i.e it's not getting confused by trying to connect to the R1 both wirelessly and via Ethernet)?

The PC doesn't have wireless. When you asked can you connect to the R1 wirelessly I completely reshaped the question in my head and turned it into 'are you able to access the R1 Dashboard'. I don'y know why i did that, so let me change me answer.

6. No, I can't connect to the R1 wirelessly as I don't have wireless capabilities on the PC.

Guest Netduma Luke

The PC doesn't have wireless. When you asked can you connect to the R1 wirelessly I completely reshaped the question in my head and turned it into 'are you able to access the R1 Dashboard'. I don'y know why i did that, so let me change me answer.

6. No, I can't connect to the R1 wirelessly as I don't have wireless capabilities on the PC.

Ok, understood. I assume you can also not access the Internet either when you're plugged into the R1?

Also - when you plug your PC to the R1 via Ethernet, what IP address do you get (according to your PC)?

• Netduma Staff

Ok, understood. I assume you can also not access the Internet either when you're plugged into the R1?

Also - when you plug your PC to the R1 via Ethernet, what IP address do you get (according to your PC)?

No, I can't access it when I'm plugged in either.

I can't remember what specific IP I am assigned according to my PC, but I am defiantly assigned one as I saw it when I ran 'ipconfig' in CMD. (Just went to bed so not at PC anymore so answering that question from memory, that is why I'm not to specific). - Might me easier to carry on troubleshooting when I get back on tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Guest Netduma Luke

Sleep well mate. In the morning have a go assigning your PC a static ip to the R1.

If you're not sure how to assign an ip on windows, here's a link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

The numbers I recommend you use for your R1 connection are:

IP: 192.168.88.197

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.88.1

Hopefully that helps but if not I'm sure one of the guys will be able to help.

• Netduma Staff

Sleep well mate. In the morning have a go assigning your PC a static ip to the R1.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Thats great!

I'll give it a go in the morning :)

Can i suggest connect the pc to the Duma, go to your network map (bottom right of pop up menu next to the date and time) on pc. Hover of the icon im sure it says Network (insert number) Internet access or No access. Click that.

Im betting there will be a red x somewhere on the network map, click that and see of windows can restore the network links. it will perform a host of check but im betting the refresh of the network card will help.

It works sometimes. If not then i got nothing else to add other then making sure your lan settings (control panel, interent options, connections, lan) are set to auto. im guessing there are but check anyways.

• Netduma Staff

I tried it but still didn't work, Thanks for your suggestion though :)

• Netduma Staff

Can i suggest connect the pc to the Duma, go to your network map (bottom right of pop up menu next to the date and time) on pc. Hover of the icon im sure it says Network (insert number) Internet access or No access. Click that.

Im betting there will be a red x somewhere on the network map, click that and see of windows can restore the network links. it will perform a host of check but im betting the refresh of the network card will help.

It works sometimes. If not then i got nothing else to add other then making sure your lan settings (control panel, interent options, connections, lan) are set to auto. im guessing there are but check anyways.

Your right, the red x is between network and internet, but when I click to diagnose it says that it is an issue with my modem/router. I'm not to sure where to go from there though, as I followed the instructions in the help centre, in windows but this did not solve the problem either.

Thanks

• Netduma Staff

Can you share some light on your connections? Do you have like ISP router and Netduma router or only netduma router? Since this stuff kinda matters

I have ISP-----NETDUMA-------OTHER DEVICES   (this is the old way the R1 operates. It can not plug directly into phone line like a modem/ISP router would)

Thanks

• Netduma Staff

In case is helps here is a screen shot of what I see.

Ukb6w5y.png

I have to Ethernet ports in the PC. Local area connection has internet via internt sharing through my Mac. Local area connection 2 is plugged directly into my Duma. I have tried switching it around the other way and it is always the one connected to the duma that won't work.

Thanks

It is  definitely plugged in via a working Ethernet cable even though it says that it isn't.

Guest Netduma Luke

What ip does your PC assign when you plug it into the R1?

And do you have some firewall / security software on the PC that could be blocking the connection for some reason?

• Netduma Staff

What ip does your PC assign when you plug it into the R1?

And do you have some firewall / security software on the PC that could be blocking the connection for some reason?

Firewalls are turned off at the moment. When I run ipconfig I don't get given an IP, although If I look on the device manager in the R1 I can see  what IPs my computer was assigned. I have posted a screen shot of it.

TD0QlqU.png

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Crossy,

Sorry this thread slipped my radar. So just to confirm, are the following assumptions true:

1. You are connected via wire to the duma
  2. You can access the duma web interface
  3. You can't access the internet(say google.com)

The bridging thing is almost certainly the issue. Can you explain whats going on there please, maybe with a diagram. Thanks!

• Netduma Staff

Hi Crossy,

Sorry this thread slipped my radar. So just to confirm, are the following assumptions true:

1. You are connected via wire to the duma
  2. You can access the duma web interface
  3. You can't access the internet(say google.com)

The bridging thing is almost certainly the issue. Can you explain whats going on there please, maybe with a diagram. Thanks!

My internet setup is:

ispRouter---->R1----->My other devices including my PC

I haven't actually brideged anything (I don't think). The reason that i have two ethernet ports is so that with one of them I can connect to the internet and with the other I can transfer files quickly between my PC and my Mac. At the moment to simplify things I have disabled the one I am using to transfer files.

I followed the instructions on the second answer in this thread: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-100254-network-cable-unplugged-but-isn-t

It sort of worked but just made the internet come on and off. I have uploaded what I am seeing to youtube and you can see it here: http://youtu.be/_bzeceV-IyA

When I change the setting back to auto it just changes between 'Network cable unplugged' and 'identifying' and then a red cross sometimes.

What I was doing to access the internet earlier was to do network sharing over my Macs ethernet port and that worked fine with the PC and I was able to access the internet.

Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

This is really weird. If you connect the end in the R1 directly into the other router does it work? I think you said it did but can you double check its identical setup to R1 please. 

• Netduma Staff

This is really weird. If you connect the end in the R1 directly into the other router does it work? I think you said it did but can you double check its identical setup to R1 please. 

Ok, I saw somewhere else that they recommended a fresh install of windows. I am doing that now and then I will check to see if it still works when I connect it to my router.

Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

If it makes you feel any better I tanked my development machine on xmas day :( :(  ... Been reinstalling everything such a pain in the a

Archived