Fiber vs Cable

Areuz

To start off I want to state that this doesn't really have much to do with a Netduma but it could possibly be a fix for the problem I am going to describe. I also would like to add that I am not just complaining about losing or losing gunfights because they actually beat me, when someone beats me straight up I accept it and move on I don't just blame connection every death.

My connection: ISP: Local Co-Op (Paul Bunyan Communications, which is in north-central Minnesota). I have FTTH GPON 250 Mbps Down/Up 1-2 ms to my first hop then off to the internet. I am currently playing PC and PS4 directly wired to my Optical Network Terminal (ONT). I also have Open NAT (port forwarding).

I titled this "Fiber vs Cable" because I had an experience about my connection compared to my friends connection who has MidContinent cable 50 down and around 10 upload. I went to his house and I played some CoD MWR. I was amazed...I was killing people sooo quickly and I was eating bullets too! The hit detection was crisp and I had a blast. Now you are probably asking why this is such a big deal because of my connection. I do get better latency and much better bandwidth than my friends connection but I have a much worse experience online than his connection. This frustrates me because that is not how this should be working out. I pay good money for an amazing connection that gives me a worse experience online compared to a cheaper connection. I have been trying to figure out why this is for a while now. I have gone from tweaking my connection, to making myself think maybe it was just me and I needed to play better. After a while of just trying to do better and not blame the connection I have gotten fed up and I am looking for others feedback.

I don't lag on my connection.

I don't have many (sometimes none) devices on my network so there isn't congestion issues.

I don't have bufferbloat issues. I don't have jitter issues (its Fiber).

One thing I thought about was the routing of the connection. My Fiber connection has usually 2 hops before it is out on a backbone or at least out of my connections control. My ISP also routes through Hurricane Electric if that is any information that is important. Hurricane electric hops which are in my traces are low ping and quite consistent so they aren't a problem. 

I just feel like people see me before I see them on my screen on my connection but when I play on a cable connection it is even or even an advantage for me. For example sometimes it feels like I am playing pros because it seems like the people have such godly reaction times.

I have some questions about it that maybe somebody can answer.

Do you think it is the base ping? 

Is it just the net-coding of the game?

Should I change my DNS?

Am I just crazy and this isn't actually a thing?

I am thinking about getting a Netduma when the big update comes and am wondering if that would help? (I know if would help some things but just this comparison of Fiber vs Cable)

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. 

It's probably nothing more than that you just got lucky with the lobbies when you were at your friend's house, it's easy to have a couple of great in a row in a scrub-lobby then think you've found the perfect setup. When in reality you were just shooting fish in a barrel.

It's much easier to shrug off a death when you're having a laugh with friend's than when you're in try-hard mode on your own in the evening too.

There are so many variables from one lobby to the next, even between games in the same lobby.

Any individual player can make a match play completely differently, even if they are just an average player on the team, depending on what they do.

To really compare, you'd need to play as much, as often, and at the same time of day, at your friend's house as you might do on your own connection. Then you'll know if his connection really holds up.

Netduma will help you maximise your connection for gaming regardless.

• Administrators

I have some questions about it that maybe somebody can answer.

Do you think it is the base ping? 

Is it just the net-coding of the game?

Should I change my DNS?

Am I just crazy and this isn't actually a thing?

I am thinking about getting a Netduma when the big update comes and am wondering if that would help? (I know if would help some things but just this comparison of Fiber vs Cable)

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. 

It sounds like your base ping is incredibly low so it won't be that. 

Possibly, hard to tell.

That won't make a difference except MAYBE speed up your web browsing a little.

Hard to say without knowing what the ping to the game actually is and as you don't have a duma it's hard to tell. You could be connecting to a non local server in which case it makes sense and the duma could help with that.

It's very hard to jump to conclusions with such an inconsistent game. It's been a while since I gave up trying to optimise my gaming experience with COD. Hundreds of euros trying to fix something that in the end is not fixable. Routers, different ISPs, 1ms monitors, high-end headphones, until I realised that the problem is not in our end if I say it correctly.

It's like the damn game randomly favours someone and screwing someone else.

It's more likely you were in a good lobby at your friend's house.

Archived