Some questions

Freddieguts

Hey all,

I have some questions regarding congestion control. After setting your broadband speeds, is CC then basically throttling the connection to help mitigate local bufferbloat and maybe distant server bufferbloat? So, in other words I say my bandwidth is 50mbps down 5 up and setting CC to 70% would then throttle them down to 35mbps and 3.5mbps? I noticed in fiddling with the percentages that they are dependant on each other. It is impossible to keep the settings after setting them since connections are so unpredictable and fluctuate. Is there a theory or formula on calculating the optimal upload and download combination? Is there a way to have it measured and configured in firmware automatically. Perhaps before playing online you hit an optimizing button that would measure current speed and test connections to various test servers?

I saw something about a router that did something like that but wasn't confirmed. I think it was called the iqrouter from even route? Anyway, love your product and it is much easier to configure than my last setup of openwrt router. The only other thing I can think of is, can the next firmware release have text boxes to enter in values instead of the sliders? Sometimes it is hard to be precise on a small touchscreen. I would rather enter in some values that try and slide into them.

Thanks again, love the EULA and can't wait til the next firmware is released.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Yes essentially it will throttle the speeds down to allow room to mitigate any local congestion. DumaOS will see no throttling but will still have the mitigation of lag. There is no particular theory or formula as far as the optimal anti-flood settings given that everyones connection is different. However, we usually recommend 70/70 anti-flood as we've found this works very well. 

That is perhaps something we could introduce into DumaOS though not straight away. Manually entering anti-flood is definitely something we can do. DumaOS will allow us to make rapid developments/changes so this should not be a problem. Great to hear you're enjoying the router!

Archived