Who do you have your broadband with ? (UK Guys)

TurboBaron

Absolutely, but it'd be nice to not constantly have to keep resetting all my devices after the modem packs in.  For weeks now it's been dropping out and needing me to reset it so I was glad that he saw something wrong on his end.  I want to get an idea of what level of performance I get when all of my own devices are working - that should then help me to understand whether their network is poo or not.

Yeah that would be much better, I was just pointing it out encase they had blindsided you with the router being the issue :)

Yeah that would be much better, I was just pointing it out encase they had blindsided you with the router being the issue :)

Ha ha of course, yeah I'm no network engineer but I know the kit itself won't make much difference if there are issues with VM's network itself  :ph34r:

My plan is to get this stage out of the way and see what my results are like, and if they're still rubbish then I'll be doing some complaining and getting some money off.  I'm buggered if I'm paying a premium for crap quality.  Beyond that if things are really naff then I might investigate swapping over to BT.

Cool, glad they've owned up to a specific problem. Hopefully this will resolve some (if not all) of your probs.

Just wanted to comment on this, so I'm tacking it on here...

Open a youtube video and play it then post results, this will put your network under stress.

When testing the line itself, for 'ISP problems', you don't really want to be running anything else at all on your network.

You would be better to test while your home network is super-quiet - so nothing skews your results at all.

Well guys, I swapped my superhub for a new one on Saturday just gone and since then I haven't had any issues with my network doing down (he said, tapping the side of his wooden chair).

I've just set ping plotter off on another monitoring session looking at twitter.com.  My network won't be totally quiet as I'm at home and using my connection to browse the web, send and receive emails and watch YouTube.  But I'm guessing the monitoring should still be useful in that if there's anything really drastic going on it should show itself up.  I've set the graph to a six hour period and will upload some photos for y'all later today.

Well guys, I swapped my superhub for a new one on Saturday just gone and since then I haven't had any issues with my network doing down (he said, tapping the side of his wooden chair).

I've just set ping plotter off on another monitoring session looking at twitter.com.  My network won't be totally quiet as I'm at home and using my connection to browse the web, send and receive emails and watch YouTube.  But I'm guessing the monitoring should still be useful in that if there's anything really drastic going on it should show itself up.  I've set the graph to a six hour period and will upload some photos for y'all later today.

Cool, glad it's behaving better now.

If you're using your network whilst you monitor it, when you/we look at the graph you/we won't be able to tell what is caused by your traffic vs 'noise' on the line.

Like you said, drastic problems will obviously show up on the graph but if they're that bad you'll know without the graph anyway.

Owch that aint great, I would say its the docsis 3 puma CPU issue in your modem creating that jitter.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/19334-intels-puma-6-chipset-suffers-from-latency-jitter-fix-soon/?hl=docsis&do=findComment&comment=132386

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if that applies to me though because I have a Superhub 2 AC not a Superhub 3.  For my learning, what am I looking at on the graph that shows the connection isn't great ?  Is it the "spikyness" of the graph at the bottom ?  Is the goal for that to ideally be a flat line ?

Ah ok now I can see the difference - mine's proper crap !

While yours doesn't look great, don't be too dishearted that it doesn't look like Zen's graph.

His is not the norm (not in my experience anyway). It's so flat that you can't even see the line ffs!

Lucky ******* *******.

Out of interest...

Did you have congestion control at 100/100 for this whole graph or 70/70 (or some other numbers), or did you change it at some point during the day?

It looks more stable around 3pm - 3.30pm compared to the evening.

What's up with that Zen? Would that be ISP congestion (or lack of) before everyone in the neighbourhood gets home after school/work?

TurboBaron, can you take a graph showing just 15-30mins or so please, just because it's easier to look at than a long timeframe graph (if you right-click the graph down the bottom, you can set it to show 30mins I think).

Any time of day you want really, make sure nobody is using the internet at the house and test over ethernet from your laptop again.

I'll plot a graph for you too, you'll be able to see the line on mine unlike on Zen's  :angry:

Sure here you go, I took this just now (I got up about 5 mins ago) so this would have been with no-one using the connection.

http://imgur.com/ayyIGJS

To answer your question I had congestion control set at 70/70 all yesterday, I didn't make any changes.  Also just to confirm I am testing over ethernet cable to the R1.

OK here's the worrying bit - that IS fibre :( !

No you are on cable with Virgin.

To get a flat line boom the IP you are pinging has to be responding well (not under stress its self) I can get a flat line early in the morning when twitter is not being battered and of course my ISP is less utilized.

No you are on cable with Virgin.

To get a flat line boom the IP you are pinging has to be responding well (not under stress its self) I can get a flat line early in the morning when twitter is not being battered and of course my ISP is less utilized.

Sorry it might be me being dumb but I thought Virgin cable was fibre, have I got it wrong ?

Clue is in the word cable ;)

Couldn't resist sorry, Virgin users tend to see jitter like yours.

But they advertise it as fibre optic cable ?  I'm so confused.  I think I need to give all this up and do something less complicated like watch Inception in French  :D

So to cut a long story short we think that I'm stuck with the network jitter unless I switch providers ?  Might be time to consider a switch to BT then I guess based on some of the comments on here.

Thanks for all the help to date guys.  I'm going to have a chat with Virgin to see if there's anything they can do to improve the quality of my connection but if they aren't able to do something for me then it may be time for a change.  I've been having a look at these guys, has anyone had any experience with them ?

http://gaming.idnet.uk/