High Lag in games

My netduma is set up like:

Wall – ISP modem – secondary router – Netduma R1 - Then Xbox one, Ps4, PC.

Since getting the Netduma I have had high lag in games with this set up.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Sci0n/video/24790320

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Sci0n/video/2479032

This is with the - Download Cap @ 30% & the Upload Cap @14%

7583152.png

Now if I take away the Netduma I get Higer speeds (see attached files) and no lag spikes like show in the Video above.

I can not see why the Netduma is not Dominating lag like it says?

post-10580-0-49674100-1482187728.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you please provide us with the information requested in this thread http://forum.netduma.com/topic/11776-please-read-before-posting-a-support-thread/

Have you tried cc at 70%/70% with share excess ticked?

Yes and its still the same

1. What firmware version1.03.6G
  2. What speeds do you get from multiple speed tests? - see images attached to post
  3. What is your current setup? Wall – ISP modem – secondary router – Netduma R1> all devices 
  4. What is your specific issue? (Provide as many details as possible. - see attached
  5. Any other information (such as settings you may have previously tried). - see above

post-10580-0-78722200-1482189928_thumb.png

post-10580-0-74263800-1482189929_thumb.jpg

Have you tried going from Modem to R1 or modem R1 then your existing router so that you can get the most out of the R1 abilities?

Is there a reason you need to still use your isp router?

I dont think cc works unless you put the R1 first in the line after the modem.

Anyway as I said if you could please provide us with the information requested we will be able to help/advise you better.

Im just heading off to work so will try and pop back to see how things are going. Meanwhile I am sure others may chip in.

Have you tried going from Modem to R1 or modem R1 then your existing router so that you can get the most out of the R1 abilities?

Is there a reason you need to still use your isp router?

I dont think cc works unless you put the R1 first in the line after the modem.

Anyway as I said if you could please provide us with the information requested we will be able to help/advise you better.

Im just heading off to work so will try and pop back to see how things are going. Meanwhile I am sure others may chip in.

Ive have added the info you req above - so are you saying I should try

;

Wall  – Netduma R1 – all devices?

As you can see my test results are;

Ping                      Jitter             Spikes          Packet Loss
Exceptional     Exceptional     Exceptional     No Loss

I see no reason for the lag any more?

I just use modem R1 and it works fine. But if you have to use your isp router as well I would put it after the R1.

There are a few threads and wiki articles covering this if you take a look about, I have to run as Ill be late for work.

I will check in later.

My netduma is set up like:

Wall – ISP modem – secondary router – Netduma R1 - Then Xbox one, Ps4, PC.

This is with the - Download Cap @ 30% & the Upload Cap @14%

Now if I take away the Netduma I get Higer speeds and no lag spikes like show in the Video above.

Is the wifi enabled on the 'secondary router'? If it is (or if any devices other than the Netduma are wired to it) then they are outside of the Netduma's congestion control and will cause spikes.

The difference in speed is because you have your download and upload capped at 30% and 14%.

If you provide your settings then we can further diagnose if there are other issues with your setup.

But like Bagsta said, if you don't have to use your ISP hub then you're probably better off without it.

What I am trying to do it not have pure BS in online games, and using the netduma seems not to anyting to change that, Even using the geo filter, doesnt elimate the COD BS.

So what settings do you want me to provide?

OK I have go with Wall – ISP modem – Netduma R1 - Then Xbox one, Ps4, PC. (all Wired)

Yet it still has major lag and latency issues.

Now when I remove the Netduma R1 and go with;

Wall – ISP modem – secondary router  - Then Xbox one, Ps4, PC.

No lag spikes at all, the latency issues with COD is still there a bit, but nothing like it was with the Netduma R1 being connected.

Honestly the Netduma R1 does nothing to dominate lag at all, if anything it might stop you connecting to games outside the geo field but it dont stop others from other countrys connecting to you creating huge lag spikes and issues.

post-10580-0-65354400-1482203325_thumb.jpg

post-10580-0-04878300-1482203328_thumb.jpg

post-10580-0-32255600-1482203330_thumb.jpg

post-10580-0-73653700-1482203332_thumb.jpg

post-10580-0-37584800-1482203336_thumb.jpg

post-10580-0-01252300-1482203339_thumb.jpg

Your title says it all, it's the games that cause the problems. The Netduma does its job in eliminating the lag caused by other users on your network. Unfortunately there are to many variables to control to make it a unique gaming experience.

As Bagsta and Colonic have suggested if you have your router before the Netduma you will negate some of the Dumas capabilities, such as CC

I have tried virtually every conceivable setting and the latency can change even during games when someone leaves/joins. Also as stated is their any particular reason you have your upload so low as that's the one you need for the in-game mechanics to be uploaded, your kills etc

Recently with IW I have been playing with the GF turned off and the game matchmaking still puts me in the UK South Coast dedi, I get 12ms ping to it but the game is very inconsistent. If I put the GF on and put my home location in Europe I get 30ms ping and inconsistent games.

If you put the information up there are plenty of technically astute people who will gladly help you :)

I believe it is the games MM that causes the problem, sometimes you will get a good lobby. Sometimes you don't

I hate so much to say it, but IW plays better for me without Netduma. Can't figure out why. I have my old router nearby and whenever I switch to it my bullets register.

I have had a similar experience, I have played IW with the Netduma unplugged and had the same experience good/bad games very inconsistent, and when all the DLC starts to drop it will probably be worse :)

• Administrators

Would recommend modem > R1 > secondary router if needed as currently your congestion control will not be working correctly as not everything is connected behind it. You're also throttling hugely which is why you don't have full speeds.

I can't diagnose gameplay, what is the average ping to the game as shown by the duma?

I would recommend 70/70%, I don't know what your speeds are but it's possible you're throttling so much that you have barely enough to play. Also recommend putting the console in hyper traffic.

From what I can see your problems come from not everything being connected to the R1 and throttling too much.

Would recommend modem > R1 > secondary router if needed as currently your congestion control will not be working correctly as not everything is connected behind it. You're also throttling hugely which is why you don't have full speeds.

I can't diagnose gameplay, what is the average ping to the game as shown by the duma?

I would recommend 70/70%, I don't know what your speeds are but it's possible you're throttling so much that you have barely enough to play. Also recommend putting the console in hyper traffic.

From what I can see your problems come from not everything being connected to the R1 and throttling too much.

I have tried modem > R1 > secondary router > All devices & modem > R1 > All Devices.

It just says this all the time

post-10580-0-30543700-1482245131_thumb.jpg

post-10580-0-26002400-1482245150_thumb.jpg

I'm playing on Xbox in the UK and I've hardly seen any lag in IW, it plays really well.

Are you playing over ethernet?

Why have you reduced your upload so drastically?

You need to use hyper-lane.

Is the wifi enabled on your secondary router?

Do you need to use this secondary router?

Is your Netduma in the DMZ of this secondary router?

You're probably better off including a bit more of Western Europe (you might be cutting off some decent dedis).

If it seems better without the Netduma then it's a setup issue or a placebo.

Provide a screenshot of your miscellaneous settings too please.

Are you playing over ethernet? = YES

Why have you reduced your upload so drastically? = Videos on YT recommend this

You need to use hyper-lane. = Explain?

Is the wifi enabled on your secondary router? = YES

Do you need to use this secondary router? = When I remove it, it wont connect to the web with the NETDUMA just there

Is your Netduma in the DMZ of this secondary router? = YES

When I set it up from - Wall > ISP modem > Netduma R1 > secondary router > Then Xbox one, Ps4, PC.(ALL WIRED)

It says - see pictures

post-10580-0-81476700-1482249288_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

Firstly, can you access the Netduma interface with that set-up? If not, please try out this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022375-i-unticked-preserve-settings-when-upgrading-can-t-access-my-router-help

Once you've accessed the interface, reboot from the Miscellaneous page in settings. Once it's rebooted, connect the Netduma to a PC via an Ethernet cable. Do you have an Internet connection? If not, enter command prompt and type in "ipconfig" without renew. Then please post a screenshot of it here and we'll take a look :)

Firstly, can you access the Netduma interface with that set-up? If not, please try out this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022375-i-unticked-preserve-settings-when-upgrading-can-t-access-my-router-help

Once you've accessed the interface, reboot from the Miscellaneous page in settings. Once it's rebooted, connect the Netduma to a PC via an Ethernet cable. Do you have an Internet connection? If not, enter command prompt and type in "ipconfig" without renew. Then please post a screenshot of it here and we'll take a look :)

OK I have done this

Wall - ISP modem - Net R1 -  All devices - and this is what I get;

post-10580-0-08717600-1482259705_thumb.jpg

Now I have set it up like;

Wall > ISP modem > not used the port 1 (PoE) to connect this to the netduamam used port 2.  > Net R1 > Router > All devices. (Wired)

Now I have not used the port 1 (PoE) on the Netduma from when connecting it from the ISP modem.

So now i have internet but can not access the Netduma page?

Archived