High upload bufferbloat

Hi guys

First of all I just wanted to say I'm in love with this router. Everything has been working perfectly thus far. Though I have one little problem. I've been messing with the QoS settings for 2 days and when I do a speed test on http://dslreports.com/speedtestmy download bufferbloat is fine (around 40ms though I have seen people on youtube getting less than 20ms), however my upload bufferbloat is very bad. It always spikes up to over 300ms. I will sometimes get an A bufferbloat but most of the time it's a B. I don't understand why, maybe it's because of my crappy connection?

It's bothering me because I bought this router to fix the lag comp problem in games like Infinite Warfare. I'm on PS4 btw.

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum :)

The link you posted to your speedtest only takes you to the dslreports speedtest page, please post the whole link from within your related test so we can assist you further.

Also, your base ping is bound to be different from one or two u-tubers as you're more than likely to be with a different isp or your area could be over subscribed having an effect on other users in your area.

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum :)

The link you posted to your speedtest only takes you to the dslreports speedtest page, please post the whole link from within your related test so we can assist you further.

Also, your base ping is bound to be different from one or two u-tubers as you're more than likely to be with a different isp or your area could be over subscribed having an effect on other users in your area.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6217301as you can see here the upload bufferload is 945ms :(

What is your congestion control set at? 70/70?

No, I keep changing and testing it, but I just tried 70/70 and got a B bufferload (945ms)

Hmm I ran the test once again this time on my PS4 with CC settings on 70/70 and got 88ms bufferbloat http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6217694

That's way better. Maybe there's something wrong with my computer? Over 900ms bufferbloat is not normal

Hi guys

First of all I just wanted to say I'm in love with this router. Everything has been working perfectly thus far. Though I have one little problem. I've been messing with the QoS settings for 2 days and when I do a speed test on http://dslreports.com/speedtestmy download bufferbloat is fine (around 40ms though I have seen people on youtube getting less than 20ms), however my upload bufferbloat is very bad. It always spikes up to over 300ms. I will sometimes get an A bufferbloat but most of the time it's a B. I don't understand why, maybe it's because of my crappy connection?

It's bothering me because I bought this router to fix the lag comp problem in games like Infinite Warfare. I'm on PS4 btw.

if you have bad game in IW ...quit and change lobby... the servers are shit you have to find one where you have good experience.

As Jeycee says above, I wouldn't drag the CC upload bar down too much as it seems like you only get 2mbits up in total, I'd play around testing with CC upload in increments of 1% & see if you can get a slightly better result than your last test. I know gaming doesn't use that much upload but if all fails I'd recommend upgrading your internet slightly.

I dont know about you guys but I get 200/20 from TWC and in order to get an A or A+ I need to lower my download to 10% and keep my upload at 100%

This gives me the minimum bufferbloat in the range of 0-13ms

Try it out and see what it does for you.

Hi guys

What modem do you have?

I dont know about you guys but I get 200/20 from TWC and in order to get an A or A+ I need to lower my download to 10% and keep my upload at 100%

This gives me the minimum bufferbloat in the range of 0-13ms

Try it out and see what it does for you.

Thats the thing see, we're all on different isp's or tech so thats the difference between stuff working or not for other Duma users.

I wish the trolls would take this into account before posting bs blaming the Netduma.

Btw, I'm not hinting at you Nemesis.

Thats the thing see, we're all on different isp's or tech so thats the difference between stuff working or not for other Duma users.

I wish the trolls would take this into account before posting bs blaming the Netduma.

Btw, I'm not hinting at you Nemesis.

I've had my netduma since December 2014 and it was working great... In February 2016 I bought a Arris SB6141 to replace my broken Arris TM822G... For months I was battling with problems, blamed the netduma and software bugs... Turns out it was the modem, and other people have had success using the same modem. So it's obvious that everyone's setup is unique and everyone's problems for the most part are going to be unique. Are there bugs in the software? Absolutely, but the netduma router is overall pretty solid and does the job of what it claims. If you don't have the patience or the know how of basic computer/networking components then this isn't for you because it takes some tinkering.

Back on topic, I would like to know more about which ISP and which modem the OP has.

everyone's setup is unique and everyone's problems for the most part are going to be unique

Back on topic, I would like to know more about which ISP and which modem the OP has.

Not to mention a whole load of different settings across that tech if people have a daisy-chain setup like a lot of us do...

eg: ISP router (with no 'modem mode') > Netduma > Access Point.

I'm not really sure how much attention should be paid to DSL reports anyway...

I used to be on Virgin Media (cable) 30mb/3mb and it was quite good for years, then they forced 50/3 on everyone and it was pretty decent, most of the time, but it didn't feel quite as good as before.

Then it got badly laggy overnight and Virgin told me that "blah blah new infrastructure, everyone was being 'upgraded' again" and I was about to be forced onto the 150mb/10mb package. As soon as I was on 150/10, Xbox was completely unplayable, I became that rubber-banding teleporter that wrecks the lobby.

Every lobby, any time of day.

I tested my line repeatedly on DSL reports during lag-fest, even with my sliders at 100/100, and I always got A's across the board.

But games were completely unplayable.

I have since changed ISPs and now have FTTC (with a massive hit to my bandwidth, the 'curb'/cabinet is quite a long way from the house) and if I leave my sliders at 100/100 I get big fat spikes on DSL reports but games are still very playable regardless.

If I set my sliders at 70/70, I get the A's back and that little 'buffer bloat' semicircle barely twitches, once for download and once for upload, I can get maximum 2ms spike on download and a max 3ms spike on upload.

The point being, take it with a pinch of salt because it was telling me my buffer-bloat and line quality was great when it was total shit for gaming.

And my other point. The Netduma can't fix a bad line if that's the problem, for me it was.

Use PingPlotter to test your line.

@ Mod Box & Colonic Boom. My reply was only mentioning it to Nemesis as he suggested others trying his setting out which won't work if we're on a diff isp. Hope I didn't confuse anything in my last post/s

I know my connection is bad already & I'm switching providers as soon as I move home as I'm not sure if a new isp would migrate me to my new house for free.

(Im moving in roughly six months)

I only know of Virgin Media doing it for free as thats who I've always been with.

It makes me sick of what I could have been experiencing if I would have changed sooner, on the plus side I'm hoping that dealing with all the jitter in the past will make me seem like a better player on vdsl as I won't have to shoot so many rounds into enemies :lol:

Sorry to go off topic, just hope you didn't think I was being an ass.

I'm not really sure how much attention should be paid to DSL reports anyway...

You need to click on results and actually look at the graph it generates and see how much your ping moves with each CC setting and test. But that just will give you the ideal CC settings to stop your ping from moving when/if someone is uploading/downloading... As far as game play goes, CC on an idle line shouldn't matter at all because if you're the only one using it then you can't saturate your connection.

e4979631c3e748fb9d8c3b185da34f61.png

@ Mod Box & Colonic Boom. My reply was only mentioning it to Nemesis as he suggested others trying his setting out which won't work if we're on a diff isp. Hope I didn't confuse anything in my last post/s

I know my connection is bad already & I'm switching providers as soon as I move home as I'm not sure if a new isp would migrate me to my new house for free.

(Im moving in roughly six months)

I only know of Virgin Media doing it for free as thats who I've always been with.

It makes me sick of what I could have been experiencing if I would have changed sooner, on the plus side I'm hoping that dealing with all the jitter in the past will make me seem like a better player on vdsl as I won't have to shoot so many rounds into enemies :lol:

Sorry to go off topic, just hope you didn't think I was being an ass.

Not at all mate, I was just agreeing with you both was all - I change a lot of settings and mess things up often.

And adding that to me DSL reports is a tool but not the most important one.

You need to click on results and actually look at the graph it generates and see how much your ping moves with each CC setting and test. But that just will give you the ideal CC settings to stop your ping from moving when/if someone is uploading/downloading... As far as game play goes, CC on an idle line shouldn't matter at all because if you're the only one using it then you can't saturate your connection.

e4979631c3e748fb9d8c3b185da34f61.png

I know, I have done, my optimal was 65/80 when I last spent time doing it I think. But it changes of course.

I just tested at 70/70 to see if the site/test was working normally, and the red bars were: Idle 1ms diff, Down 2ms diff, Up 3ms diff.

And to show that using the sliders does work wonders at controlling the pesky housemates trying to wreck my games.

I didn't do all that back on my old line though, I didn't know about the graph to be honest and it was so terrible in-game, it wasn't necessary to know that I had to change ISP.

But yes, you're absolutely right about the saturation not being a problem when nobody is about.

I know, I have done, my optimal was 65/80 when I last spent time doing it I think. But it changes of course.

I just tested at 70/70 to see if the site/test was working normally, and the red bars were: Idle 1ms diff, Down 2ms diff, Up 3ms diff.

And to show that using the sliders does work wonders at controlling the pesky housemates trying to wreck my games.

I didn't do all that back on my old line though, I didn't know about the graph to be honest and it was so terrible in-game, it wasn't necessary to know that I had to change ISP.

But yes, you're absolutely right about the saturation not being a problem when nobody is about.

But I have the same problem as the OP... I can download and stay within 5ms of jitter on my perfect settings... But my upload spikes all over, and it's because of my modem. So that's why I ask, which modem and ISP he has?

But I have the same problem as the OP... I can download and stay within 5ms of jitter on my perfect settings... But my upload spikes all over, and it's because of my modem. So that's why I ask, which modem and ISP he has?

Oh right! I got the wrong end of that, sorry.

I did have an upload jitter/bb problem a while back though, couldn't get congestion sliders to control it at all, as soon as I hit YouTube on my phone it would send my ping (Ping Plotter) completely wild.

I ended up factory resetting and it was fine straight after and has been since.

Not much of a solution I know, and not related to the modem as I have an ISP combo pieceofshit.

Oh right! I got the wrong end of that, sorry.

I did have an upload jitter/bb problem a while back though, couldn't get congestion sliders to control it at all, as soon as I hit YouTube on my phone it would send my ping (Ping Plotter) completely wild.

I ended up factory resetting and it was fine straight after and has been since.

Not much of a solution I know, and not related to the modem as I have an ISP combo pieceofshit.

Yeah uploading to youtube from my phone and from firefox on my PC made it go crazy, but from Chrome on my PC it worked fine... I don't know why, but it's my modem.

I currently live in France and I have a SFR ADSL modem. I did some research and I found out the modem has some hidden advanced settings with four profiles: balanced, tv, gaming and download. I chose the gaming profile but it says it will be activated at around 2 AM. Also, it says it will reduce 36ms of ping so that's good. I'll let you guys know if this fixes my bufferbloat problem.

Edit: I messed with the settings some more and I got A+ Bufferbloat :D http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6246244

I currently live in France and I have a SFR ADSL modem. I did some research and I found out the modem has some hidden advanced settings with four profiles: balanced, tv, gaming and download. I chose the gaming profile but it says it will be activated at around 2 AM. Also, it says it will reduce 36ms of ping so that's good. I'll let you guys know if this fixes my bufferbloat problem.

Edit: I messed with the settings some more and I got A+ Bufferbloat :D http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6246244

Very nice... Now try to keep adjusting congestion control until the red bars on the graph are as small as possible like it is for idle...

f40d0611081f4f848b9051a9ffd171ca.png

Yeah uploading to youtube from my phone and from firefox on my PC made it go crazy, but from Chrome on my PC it worked fine... I don't know why, but it's my modem.

Hopefully you'll sort it or find a replacement modem that doesn't cause the same. If you do, you'll go down in folklore in here!

Archived