Any idea why this happens?

iAmMoDBoX

Sorry mate can you draw out your network with the IPs & tell me what you're trying to achieve then I can help. Cheers :)

I'm trying to achieve my R1 working without having to reboot it 10 times before I can access it. It's the same setup I've always had. Modem>Asus>R1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you make sure the mac address didn't change on your asus? I have to keep an eye on mine especially when I reboot. The last # always changes for me.

It's in the advanced settings on my netgear.

post-881-0-87990600-1431009424_thumb.png

Oh wait I know exactly what this sounds like: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_restart_itself

Sindonesia had the same problem last week

No it's not a heat issue lol I haven't used the R1 for weeks while I was playing GTA. I decided to get on cod so I plugged it back in and off a cold boot up its inaccessible to ping, has no internet connection and I can't access it over wan. If I unplug it and plug it back in a bunch of times eventually it works normally.

• Administrators

Erm can you try access the control panel from the LAN side does that work everytime. Also on the LAN side can you try ping it as well please. 

Erm can you try access the control panel from the LAN side does that work everytime. Also on the LAN side can you try ping it as well please. 

Just got home... I can access it on the lan side every time, I haven't tried to ping it yet since I don't have anything on it that I can ping it with

• Administrators

Can you try connect laptop or something. Its not really designed to be accessed from WAN side the way you are doing. So I'd just like to rule out LAN side issues mate first.

Can you try connect laptop or something. Its not really designed to be accessed from WAN side the way you are doing. So I'd just like to rule out LAN side issues mate first.

So I did modem>R1>PC, when I ping the R1 it responds fine when in "hissy fit mode"

Uwza0G7.jpg

BUT...

When I try to ping out to anything it doesn't respond correctly and I have no internet access. Obviously if I reboot a few times to get it working normal then everything works fine.

TrKCEYG.jpg

After 9 power cycles...

pnj4mcF.jpg

Request times outs are normal it is usualy the server set to not respond to pings as a priority, I see this sometimes when the server i ping is underload from normal traffic and ping takes a back seat .

I see you are pinging netduma.com.

Try 8.8.8.8 that is less likely to be underload and will give you a better test result.

Request times outs are normal it is usualy the server set to not respond to pings as a priority, I see this sometimes when the server i ping is underload from normal traffic and ping takes a back seat .

I see you are pinging netduma.com.

Try 8.8.8.8 that is less likely to be underload and will give you a better test result.

Well either way I had no internet connection to load any website through the R1 when it's in this "mode"

I see i have just read back the whole thread now, these tests are on Lan as well now on the latest FW?

wall > modem>duma>pc wired?

Have you tried  the modem when you have the down time to see if that has internet connection when it drops from the duma?

I see i have just read back the whole thread now, these tests are on Lan as well now on the latest FW?

wall > modem>duma>pc wired?

Have you tried the modem when you have the down time to see if that has internet connection when it drops from the duma?

I have modem>asus>r1

My pc is connected to the Asus and always works when the R1 doesn't. My Xbox is connected to the R1 and I've watched the dashboard connect and disconnect to Xbox live before when it's in this "mode" of dysfunction.

It's honestly been a problem since day 1 but I thought nothing of it because of the odd setup I have. I used to run modem>R1>Asus (in access point mode) and the R1 handled my network. God forbid the power went out or the R1 had to be restarted I would have to play a game of power cycling the R1 and asus until they worked together.. But after going modem>r1>Xbox and still having issues with nothing else on my network I'm curious to see what's going on.

I'm not on the latest fw, but it's been an ongoing "bug" I'll call it. It's not really an issue because I can reboot a few times and eventually it works. But I'm pretty sure that it's not normal behavior either.

I am sure Iain would say to update to the latest , thats usualy how support works, but thats up to you :)

It's only a $200 router let's break it some more

• Netduma Staff

It's only a $200 router let's break it some more

Surely the update wouldn't break it? If you follow the instructions in the upgrade page here there won't be any issues :) 

And that bug you linked to was fixed a while ago and is no longer an issue. Iain makes it very clear when there is a tested version and a beta version. Everyone who was on that version was aware of the risks and knew it hadn't been tested. That as part of the process of volunteering to beta test and everyone who was on that version would have been aware that there was a possibility that their experience could be decreased.

Surely the update wouldn't break it? If you follow the instructions in the upgrade page here there won't be any issues :)

And that bug you linked to was fixed a while ago and is no longer an issue. Iain makes it very clear when there is a tested version and a beta version. Everyone who was on that version was aware of the risks and knew it hadn't been tested. That as part of the process of volunteering to beta test and everyone who was on that version would have been aware that there was a possibility that their experience could be decreased.

Oh I know, I'm only saying with any kind of software development new features or changes always leaves room for unexpected bugs and problems. I've learned over the years working with electronics that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it" because who knows what can of worms you could open up down the line. Of course I'm speaking in general, not about the R1 at this point. That's why we never have final versions of anything and there are always updates and fixes being pushed out in the digital world we live in these days.

The great thing with Iains updates is he listens to the community and adds wicked new features and fixes problems , there is always a chance of a new bug like you say.

I can say I love the new version and its new features auto ping host is cool  :)

I have not found a bug in this version.

Archived