New Netduma owner here

XSXS

Hello!

I purchased a Netduma router last week and am still reading up on it (guides) and navigating through the GUI to get acquainted with the interface.  I bought it mostly for Destiny usage but am sad to hear that it will only help slightly with that particular game.  I may play CoD again but who knows, I got kind of bored with that game.

I presently use a Asus RT-AC66R router and it has performed well. I am a bit hesitant to connect the Netduma until I get comfortable with it.  Reason is my Son plays a lot of Destiny and I don't want to connect and then cause connections issues with his friends due to the Geo filter.  I don't want him tweaking the settings while he is playing to connect with friends until I know exactly how to use it properly and I will just take care of it for him.  I really just want to set it and forget it for the most part so he can play whenever and still get the best connection while be able to connect with all his friends.

Anyway, looking forward to using this new router and being part of the community.  BTW, I plan on all connections going through the Netduma 1st and using the Asus as an AP.\

Welcome to the forum and the duma army.........We are a friendly bunch and if there is anything we can do just give us a yell. Hope you enjoy the netduma as much as we do.

BD

Thanks guys! Yeah i know i can allow friends to the allow list but he uses lfg often so not sure if that will work. I don't want him having connection issues. May have to turn the geo filter off.

Fraser LFG is a website where we look for others to do raids, strikes, pvp with etc, so when and if the geo is on and the others are in say Uk Usa Australia, they wont be able to join. So becomes irrelevant to white list them as its a random search on Destiny LFg (looking for group).

Im in the uk and if lfg when i look finds me Canadian Aussie etc, i have to turn geo off.

Thanks guys! Still haven't had chance to get it up and running yet.  I noticed when my public IP changes so does the number of hops, right not my public IP has some of the best pings and line quality tests in a long. So I am also hesitant to connect the Duma as I will get a new public IP.  

• Administrators

You shouldn't get a new public IP just connecting the R1 to your existing ISP hub/modem unless you reboot the ISP hub/modem when connecting them. You're on a dynamic IP anyway by the sounds of it so will probably change again regardless.

You shouldn't get a new public IP just connecting the R1 to your existing ISP hub/modem unless you reboot the ISP hub/modem when connecting them. You're on a dynamic IP anyway by the sounds of it so will probably change again regardless.

I think my ISP is running short on IPv4 addresses cuz anytime i reset my modem, I get a new one. Yes it is dynamic but usually does not change on its own for months.  The Netduma wont connect to the modem unless the modem is reset. unless i am doing something wrong...

XSXS the router can make Destiny more enjoyable.

But to get the most out of it you do need to be looking at the router web page (aka. administration interface).  I hope your son is old enough to easily understand what to do... Everything is basically a click away.

First the horrendous matchmaking in Destiny. If you are actively monitoring the Geofilter world map as you are matchmaking even in those cases where Netduma doesn't prevent a worldwide lobby you can simply cancel matchmaking in the game and restart to get a better match, you can see the lobby forming right there on the map in real-time. This is not mandatory though, I am alergic to lag in Destiny so I micromanage matchmaking like this. But if your son doesn't care about the occasional laggy game then you can ignore this advice completely, let Netduma work in the background.

For PVE and LFG, or even PVP LFG (Trials)  we often end up playing with people outside our desired region previously configured in the Geofilter. Once again by actively using the Netduma administration interface it's simple to manage. There's a checkbox at the very top of the Geofilter page that says "Enabled". When I go to LFG to start my party or join one I disable the Geofilter. Once you are in the party with everyone that will be playing the strike, raid or trials of osiris you can simply tick the "Enable" box again and nobody will be disconnected from that point even if they are outside the configured region. It can also be left disabled, but I am selfish and once we all enter matchmaking together I want to match someone close to me, not someone close to another member of the fireteam.

XSXS the router can make Destiny more enjoyable.

But to get the most out of it you do need to be looking at the router web page (aka. administration interface).  I hope your son is old enough to easily understand what to do... Everything is basically a click away.

First the horrendous matchmaking in Destiny. If you are actively monitoring the Geofilter world map as you are matchmaking even in those cases where Netduma doesn't prevent a worldwide lobby you can simply cancel matchmaking in the game and restart to get a better match, you can see the lobby forming right there on the map in real-time. This is not mandatory though, I am alergic to lag in Destiny so I micromanage matchmaking like this. But if your son doesn't care about the occasional laggy game then you can ignore this advice completely, let Netduma work in the background.

For PVE and LFG, or even PVP LFG (Trials)  we often end up playing with people outside our desired region previously configured in the Geofilter. Once again by actively using the Netduma administration interface it's simple to manage. There's a checkbox at the very top of the Geofilter page that says "Enabled". When I go to LFG to start my party or join one I disable the Geofilter. Once you are in the party with everyone that will be playing the strike, raid or trials of osiris you can simply tick the "Enable" box again and nobody will be disconnected from that point even if they are outside the configured region. It can also be left disabled, but I am selfish and once we all enter matchmaking together I want to match someone close to me, not someone close to another member of the fireteam.

Thanks for the feedback!  I am going to check and see why I am not getting notifications for replies but wanted to thank you even though it is 6 days late, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

You should just be able to plug the R1 straight into the modem and get an internet connection without it being rebooted. If that doesn't work then you can just go back to the original setup.

I had to reset my modem ti get an Internet connection but kept my external ip. Anyway is there a log in netduma that shows what ports are being used by my devices?

• Administrators

I had to reset my modem ti get an Internet connection but kept my external ip. Anyway is there a log in netduma that shows what ports are being used by my devices?

Go to the network monitor, select which devices you want shown at the top. Then on the graphs click any of the peaks and a pie chart will pop out. You can select the device and it will show you what ports are being used at that time.

Archived