Frustrated Gamer

Gav c

Hi Guys,

I`ve been pointed in this direction by a friend who bought a R1 (router not bike)  and thought it might be of some help to me.

I`ve been frustrated for a while now when gaming, taking hits when you`re already behind cover, never winning a toe to toe shoot out despite firing first and all those kind of things. I always thought my ping was good until I saw Simjc74`s YouTube video and discovered the upload ping.

I`m with Virgin Media and I took the DSL report speed test and I was shocked with the average upload ping of 611ms  especially when my download ping was 35ms and this is reflected in the Battlefield 4 stats.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5349969

Is the Netduma R1 something that can help with this or is it beyond it`s capabilities?

I don`t really want to be switching ISP`s but it does give me some leverage as my contract is up next month but it would be interesting to see if the bandwidth control could help with this.

TIA

Virgin cable has very high jitter that ruins gaming.

I am sure members that use or have used Virgin cable will attest to this when they read.

My suggestion would be to move to fibre if at all possible and purchase a Netduma to help with host distance and local network congestion with the congestion control.

Virgin cable has very high jitter that ruins gaming.

I am sure members that use or have used Virgin cable will attest to this when they read.

My suggestion would be to move to fibre if at all possible and purchase a Netduma to help with host distance and local network congestion with the congestion control.

So this is an issue with the actual cable that VM use and not much to be gained by using the Netduma R1?

I also thought that VM used fibre optic and not cable, is this just a sales pitch by Virgin then?

• Netduma Staff

hey, welcome to the forum! The Netduma is built to reduce ping and give you a better gaming experience, so it can certainly help you. Check out our features here: https://netduma.com/features/

The general opinion across the forum is that Virgin Media isn't great for gaming; their lines and modems tend to not do a great job in terms of jitter / spikes. A Netduma would improve the experience nonetheless, since it'd allow you greater control over where your bandwidth is allocated, and especially in terms of gameplay.

Let us know if you have any questions :)

Thanks for the replies, I have the opportunity to borrow a friends R1 next week for five days so I`ll give it a try before I decide whether to give Virgin the boot, although a courtesy call explaining my situation and the threat of leaving might help sort out any issues on their side.

I borrowed my friends R1 today and did a bit of tweaking and I got my download ping to 18ms and my upload ping to 19ms, don`t think I can get it much better than that as I`ve tried going both ways with the bandwidth control.

Just need to get one ordered now  ;)

Archived