SSD ps4 upgrade

b00stg0d

I don't want to sound like a damp rag but if your on budget and need more space go for a 1TB SSHD for 70 quid cheaper than a 500 gb evo both are quicker than the stock ps4 drive.  I recently added a Seagate sshd to my ps4 as this is the only ps4 we have in the house so much sharing is involved.

My point is don't feel like you need to spend a lot more money over a hybrid to think you will get an advantage because you won't.

true. for conventional reasons you will not see a huge difference over ssd vs. sshd. BUT, I don't know anyone with an sshd loading into game this fast either.  That's an unconventional benefit not listed or tested for in any review I read, neither is the fact that bo3 doesn't seem to stutter near as much either. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have come across many benefits

Moving between menus in game and PS menues.

PS4 loads up quicker

Games load up quicker (downloaded games and content) not been able to test disc stuff as i have no discs

Game play is much smoother including when you know its lagging

Textures are loaded before game starts so no more waiting for graphics to catch up, including fast movements, objects are less blurry.

the clock countdown starts as soon as the first person connects. (maybe this will only work on server based games) not sure how p2p will.

there are many other minor things that you will notice once you own and use one. 

overall result its much better 

PS4 loads up quicker

Games load up quicker (downloaded games and content) not been able to test disc stuff as i have no discs

Textures are loaded before game starts so no more waiting for graphics to catch up, including fast movements, objects are less blurry.

the clock countdown starts as soon as the first person connects. (maybe this will only work on server based games) not sure how p2p will.

there are many other minor things that you will notice once you own and use one. 

I agree 

I don't want to sound like a damp rag but if your on budget and need more space go for a 1TB SSHD for 70 quid cheaper than a 500 gb evo both are quicker than the stock ps4 drive. I recently added a Seagate sshd to my ps4 as this is the only ps4 we have in the house so much sharing is involved.

My point is don't feel like you need to spend a lot more money over a hybrid to think you will get an advantage because you won't.

Seeing as u don't have ssd. U say u won't, where u getting info? YouTube? I'm actually seeing it and sshd uses common files. Meaning u won't see advantage till many uses later.

PS4 loads up quicker

I'm not disagreeing with the above Red i even see it with sshd hence my point i know ssd is faster i might even go down the 950 evo m.2 route next year if i get the serious itch to upgrade my PC. 

Just don't expect to find yourself gaining a 1-2 second advantage once the game settles in, like i said it's a lot of money for people looking at this thread thinking they will turn into some gaming jedi master.

I don't want to sound like a damp rag but if your on budget and need more space go for a 1TB SSHD for 70 quid cheaper than a 500 gb evo both are quicker than the stock ps4 drive.  I recently added a Seagate sshd to my ps4 as this is the only ps4 we have in the house so much sharing is involved.

A SSHD is actually a terrible option for a console given the fact that 1- It uses most used files and stores them in the flash part of the drive to have quick and easy access to them, which leads me to number 2 - Most SSHD only have 8 gig flash so that's pretty much one map loading in and completely defeating the purpose of having the drive anyway. Hope that makes sense?

I thought so too man but it's true. Get the ssd. Believe me. U won't b sorry.

I have an Xbox anyway.

Not bullshit at all, check this out, check out when I spawn.

That doesn't show anything other than a partial lobby (meaning any late-comers would spawn late anyway), you waiting (the usual) 15 seconds and then running to the halfway point of the map.

Do you have an Evo 850 SSD?

No. Just the standard HDD.

Ok ill post a game from last night now let me find one god example from the vault

i have also had other games where i have reached their spawn before they joined game and i have flipped their spawn before they start.

That just shows you get the first kill after 15 seconds.

There's no way anyone, that was in the pre-game lobby, should still be standing at their spawn 15 seconds into a game, unless they're really bad at choosing a weapon.

I'm not arguing as to whether an SSD is a good idea or whether it allows games to load faster (it obviously will) but the post I called BS on suggested that you can start the round early and get to the enemy team before they're ABLE to spawn.

Unless you're saying that the standard PS4 has a horrendous flaw, where it takes an additional 15 seconds to spawn in after the initial 15 second countdown at the start.

I still call bullshit.

But I would like to be proved wrong, more vids please...

I have an Xbox anyway.

That doesn't show anything other than a partial lobby (meaning any late-comers would spawn late anyway), you waiting (the usual) 15 seconds and then running to the halfway point of the map.

No. Just the standard HDD.

That just shows you get the first kill after 15 seconds.

There's no way anyone, that was in the pre-game lobby, should still be standing at their spawn 15 seconds into a game, unless they're really bad at choosing a weapon.

I'm not arguing as to whether an SSD is a good idea or whether it allows games to load faster (it obviously will) but the post I called BS on suggested that you can start the round early and get to the enemy team before they're ABLE to spawn.

Unless you're saying that the standard PS4 has a horrendous flaw, where it takes an additional 15 seconds to spawn in after the initial 15 second countdown at the start.

I still call bullshit.

But I would like to be proved wrong, more vids please...

Honestly get this external drive - https://www.amazon.com/HGST-High-Performance-Portable-Platinum-0S03694/dp/B00IVFDQFM

It cut my loading times on X1 for all my games. I was always first one loaded in. Now I'm using that inside my PS4 and the same thing happens.

Ah well ur right ur on Xbox. Won't improve all the bo3 problems there or make that system any faster. They already push resolution at 720p ;-) good day.

You can slag the Xbox off all you want but all I read about for a year on here was people struggling on ps4 with one problem or another in blops 3 while we had impeccable games with azure servers.

We do not see pop up textures because of "Nosy" making all devs push 1080 and the GPU having to ask the HHD to use virtual ram as it runs out of juice either meaning no need for a SSD.

I know which side my bread is buttered :)

You can slag the Xbox off all you want but all I read about for a year on here was people struggling on ps4 with one problem or another in blops 3 while we had impeccable games with azure servers.

We do not see pop up textures because of "Nosy" making all devs push 1080 and the GPU having to ask the HHD to use virtual ram as it runs out of juice either meaning no need for a SSD.

I know which side my bread is buttered :)

Hehe. . Tell u what since I put ssd in. All those problems disappeared, no studdering, no waiting for maps to load, and no texture issues. If it only fixed those ppl with Shitty Internet and blocked split screeners.

Maybe. We Duma os will block split screen ppl getting into lobbys haha.

Nothing against Xbox

This is an old link and test results.  Based upon these results I upgraded my HDD with a hybrid.  I noticed a difference. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ps4-hard-drive-upgrade,3695-3.html

While this testing is older, there was not that much difference in hybrid versus SSD.  I would be curious to see these testing redone for new SDDs and latest PS4 software.

I am usually the first person loaded into the game.  Loading into the game is also about connect and not map loading.  There have been times were my entire team is very slow to load in.

I agree that the SSD performance is great,  but the performance increases vs cost was not enough to justify a SSD versus hybrid for me.

To be fair, have you actually gamed on a PS4? Cause I felt the same way until I actually used one

I have (but not on BO3 though), played a couple of other things though.

It seemed pretty much exactly the same to me. I've nothing against PS4, I'm not 12 or retarded, I just can't get on with the pad is all but obviously would if I played it more.

So has nobody got a video of them spawning in early, being able to walk around the map while everyone else is waiting for the game to load, and then get the drop on the enemy team?

That's the only point I take issue with because I simply don't believe it's true.

So has nobody got a video of them spawning in early

Yes check my you tube link above. go from about 5mins 30secs and then again at 16mins

being able to walk around the map while everyone else is waiting for the game to load

yes check my you tube link above

and then get the drop on the enemy team?

not in the video above but yes i got the drop on 1 player in the first video i posted but i got killed shortly after. not the best video by all means 

Lets take the NetDuma R1 for example "DOMAINATE LAG" tag does not happen every game, and i guess you was skeptical about the duma before you had 1. I guess if you want conclusive proof you got to get one your self.

The game clearly loads significantly faster with an SSD, as it should.

If I had a PS4 I'd get one no hesitation but I'm not debating whether it is worth installing one or not.

You're starting at the end of the 15 second countdown but so is everyone else, unless they weren't in the pre-game lobby (joined late) and as long as they don't spend an age selecting a weapon.

So it doesn't give you any kind of jump on the enemy team, it just gives you the full fifteen seconds to pick your class.

SSD or not, nobody starts before the countdown and nobody that is paying attention starts after the countdown either (unless they join late or something is wrong).

Nice headshot at 6.53 by the way, that would have pissed me right off.

I don't believe everyone spawns in at same time. I've had many instances on stock hard drive. Where my friend was already playing and ppl had 3 kills before I was in game. Sometimes felt like game took a min to boot into map. Yes I was at start of game not loading in the middle of a game. I always felt I was last one to load into game. I never seen the countdown timer till I got the ssd. Which to me is odd

I don't believe everyone spawns in at same time. I've had many instances on stock hard drive. Where my friend was already playing and ppl had 3 kills before I was in game. Sometimes felt like game took a min to boot into map. Yes I was at start of game not loading in the middle of a game. I always felt I was last one to load into game. I never seen the countdown timer till I got the ssd. Which to me is odd

You're right, they don't all spawn in at the same time and it is odd (and annoying).

I've been in a pre-game lobby a few times (only a few out of thousands of matches) but when the game started it was 10 or 20 seconds into the game...

Whether this is down to the console loading slowly or the lobby fudging up, I couldn't say.

And I've also been in a pre-game TDM lobby before but when the game started I was in a HC match that was halfway through on a different map  <_<  which is ridiculous.

And I've been in a party where, once the game started, it had split the party across different lobbies so we weren't even in the same match anymore.

I will concede that if a lobby loads slowly (as you mentioned) then the SSD may well allow you to get the drop on the other team.

But in 'normal' circumstances, everyone should be in the game before the countdown hits zero and the game begins.

Archived