Netduma causing problems with my broadband sync?

Hello guys,

Recently been having a load of issues with my BT Broadband ADSL connection. Had BT engineers visit my house 3 times in 2 weeks. The last time they completely ripped out my old phone line and installed fresh as the last 2 visits have been unsuccessful to resolve my ADSL randomly dropping sync. They even had a BT platform crane thing to add new wires at the top of my road and they fiddled around in the exchange.

Today is the first time I've not had the Netduma plugged in and everything seems to be working fine now. I'm using a brand new BT home hub 4 supplied by BT last week. All new equipment and line. Disabled wireless on BT router and letting my housemates connect to the Netduma.

Could the Net Duma be causing this? BT are at a loss really. They can't replicate any errors when they come to the property.

Just standard BT copper ADSL. 3mb down 0.5mb up. My master socket is the new all in one BT openreach pre filtered socket. They installed it along with all new line yesterday.

does your home hub go into a white openreach modem or directly into the wall socket?

15 times today so far according to BT support. I took out the Net duma for the first time and i've been online the last hour with no problems. Over the last few weeks it's been varied. Problem started 3 weeks ago. Broadband was down 2 days. They "fixed" then went down 5 mins later. 

it isn't the netduma as it is 2nd in the chain as it is behind the hub. if you remove the netduma and manage with just the hub and see how log it is before you get a sync drop......but i am 99% posative it is not the duma.

it isn't the netduma as it is 2nd in the chain as it is behind the hub. if you remove the netduma and manage with just the hub and see how log it is before you get a sync drop......but i am 99% posative it is not the duma.

That's my feeling as well Big Dog. I wouldn't of thought the Duma would be doing it but BT can't find any fault. Going round in circles. They were at my house Friday and spent all day installing a fresh line.

That's my feeling as well Big Dog. I wouldn't of thought the Duma would be doing it but BT can't find any fault. Going round in circles. They were at my house Friday and spent all day installing a fresh line.

ok, remove the netduma and turn wifi back on on the hub and leave it alone and see if it goes off on it's own again, i am sure that it will.

If the Netduma had any issue, I would have though it would only affect the devices that were connecting to it (phones, xbox, etc).

I can't see any way it could cause the BT hub to get an orange 'internet down' light, that's a problem the other side of the BT hub (like the cable, socket, phone-line, cabinet, exchange).

• Administrators

My thoughts are the same as Colonics. 

Have you got the PPPoE details input in the duma? I believe BT use PPPoE so if that's not input in the duma that could create issues. 

Other than that I can't forsee that it would affect anything upstream. Disconnect the duma and see if the drops happen at all without it, do it for a couple of days just to make sure.

My thoughts are the same as Colonics. 

Have you got the PPPoE details input in the duma? I believe BT use PPPoE so if that's not input in the duma that could create issues. 

Other than that I can't forsee that it would affect anything upstream. Disconnect the duma and see if the drops happen at all without it, do it for a couple of days just to make sure.

No, pppoe is done by the hub, you do not input any pppoe setting in the duma, only use pppoe for bt if you have the openreach modem, he is using the hub4 and has no openreach modem. I am on bt too!

Must of been a coincidence that yesterday was fine with no Net Duma plugged in. Broadband sync issues again today with just the hub.

Time to get BT out to my house for the 4th time. Yay. 

yeah, because the netduma is behind the hub and not before it in the network chain it couldn't have caused your sync loss. I am on BT but i have the hub 6 but I am VDSL. Hope it gets sorted bud as that would aggravate the tits off me!

• 4 weeks later...

@roozor

Did you have any joy getting you're issue with BT sorted?

I've just moved house and I'm back on ADSL and I'm getting exactly the same problem with sync dropping, it's definitely not an issue with the Duma as everything was working fine for the first week after getting the new line installed. I also tried a Draytek ADSL modem and still lost sync. BT are sending me a new hub 4 as the hub 5 is not comparable with ADSL according to BT. I'm on an Exchange Only line so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it.

Just curious if you got to the route of the problem

Cheers

Archived