Must have the only broken Netduma

Kirby9099

I get 120 down and 12 up roughly on the speeds give or take a few on the download. Why is it when i change the congestion control to 75% up and down do i instantly get cut 60 percent of my upload and download testing from a computer giving me 36 download and 6 upload? Even when i change the maximum to 100% on both i only get 40 down 7 up.

Other routers specifically the Netgear Nighthawk when i enable their "qos" settings I change my upload to a lower amount. Say i give my nighthawk 8mb upload, my black ops 3 would respectfully grab only a portion of that even significantly smaller like 2000kbps bandwidth in game. 

(Netduma) When i place 100 down and 10 up in the congestion control and place both at 75% does my Black ops 3 game still taking 4000kpbs bandwidth even when speedtest.net says i only have 6 mb upload? This effectively is taking 100% of my upload speed not allowing streaming for instance.

I also am wondering why I try to listen to the support on here from another post and says "put strict mode on and then more your "home" until you find a good area" do i NEVER find a game? Put it on strict mode, move my home to Texas where TWO dedicated server farms are for xbox one do i never get into a game? Even after restarting the game.  (I live in Kansas BTW)

And why can i not TEMP ban a "Server" without strict mode on? Seems rather needed to temp ban a server without strict mode on considering my search is usually bigger?

Im just so frustrated with this thing and definitely an unhappy customer. Im feel like I'm the only one with a broken Netduma. Granted i don't expect Black ops 3 to be invincible, but ONE good game during an entire week seems rather ridiculous. Also seeing I'm connected to the same dedicated servers every time i get online, I would expect the game to rather play consistently every time since EVERY GAME I'm in is on a dedicated server. How are people literally walking RIGHT through my bullets? Brecci hip fire within ten feet i get NO hit markers?

ok, i take it you have disabled ipv6 in misc, lan & wan, unticked deep packet processing in misc, inputted your isp speeds into bandwidth control settings,, ticked turbo mode in misc and are using reactive algo rather than preemptive?...........oh and you are doing the tests hardwired?

5549443479.png

• Netduma Staff

I get 120 down and 12 up roughly on the speeds give or take a few on the download. Why is it when i change the congestion control to 75% up and down do i instantly get cut 60 percent of my upload and download testing from a computer giving me 36 download and 6 upload? Even when i change the maximum to 100% on both i only get 40 down 7 up.

Please follow the instructions here to get maximum speeds and make sure you are on the latest version (1.03.6).

Other routers specifically the Netgear Nighthawk when i enable their "qos" settings I change my upload to a lower amount. Say i give my nighthawk 8mb upload, my black ops 3 would respectfully grab only a portion of that even significantly smaller like 2000kbps bandwidth in game.

(Netduma) When i place 100 down and 10 up in the congestion control and place both at 75% does my Black ops 3 game still taking 4000kpbs bandwidth even when speedtest.net says i only have 6 mb upload? This effectively is taking 100% of my upload speed not allowing streaming for instance.

I'm not sure I understand what I mean. Maybe you've misunderstood what congestion control does. This should help explain what it's purpose is and what it does.

If you're having issues with lag then please post the information from here.

Yes all this has been done thank you for your input. Everything was setup by the remote Fraser i believe. Had so many admins look at this i have lost track. But everything was set that you suggested.

ok, i take it you have disabled ipv6 in misc, lan & wan, unticked deep packet processing in misc, inputted your isp speeds into bandwidth control settings,, ticked turbo mode in misc and are using reactive algo rather than preemptive?...........oh and you are doing the tests hardwired?

5549443479.png

Okay Something is seriously wrong with my router...Last night i checked into the settings for my netduma before posting and didn't make any changes...This morning i log into and someone moved my home icon to Georgia, turned strict mode off, and shrunk my radius to almost nothing. Weird stuff changes on the router like every week without me touching it. And i only access it from one computer so its not changing settings from being signed into on multiple computers. From your videos and support pages "QOS" lowers your amount of upload speeds for queuing or whatever you call it...but i have received posts on my support pages stating lowering your upload is a false positive and doesn't actually do anything...but isn't that exactly what your 75% congestion control does?

Please follow the instructions here to get maximum speeds and make sure you are on the latest version (1.03.6).

I'm not sure I understand what I mean. Maybe you've misunderstood what congestion control does. This should help explain what it's purpose is and what it does.

If you're having issues with lag then please post the information from here.

Don't do the cc stuff it's stupid and hinders your connection. Also turn off deep packet. When they says 70/70 this is gaming only and turn back when ur not gaming. People forget about this as its in pre loaded profiles. I play on 90/90 no difference. Remember if u hinder your upload you may have party / party chat issues as this requires substantial bandwidth on ps4. Idk why. Just bo3 is 3kb/s up n down.

Don't do the cc stuff it's stupid and hinders your connection. Also turn off deep packet. When they says 70/70 this is gaming only and turn back when ur not gaming. People forget about this as its in pre loaded profiles. I play on 90/90 no difference. Remember if u hinder your upload you may have party / party chat issues as this requires substantial bandwidth on ps4. Idk why. Just bo3 is 3kb/s up n down.

You should probably stop giving people advice,when you tell them not to use CC.Which is totally inaccurate you need congestion control to prevent your network from being congested when others are using the internet.The sliders allow you to game without worrying about what others are doing on your network.It leaves you some overhead so your home network isn't over saturated and causing you issues while gaming.

This guy. Seems to give no answers for u but bash on input. If you are still having issues msg me I can send you screen shots I use on my setup ad my connection is 100 down 10up. Few of my friends use it no problems rmi play hc tdm. Running thru people with vmp, kuda, know silence. 1 to 2 hit markers before I kill. Xr2 usually 1 shot kills.

Remember not all set ups on here work for everyone. I have comcast doc sis 3.0 modem. Straight to netduma

If u have good internet don't use cc. If hyperlane is set right

Thats what I'm thinking the Netduma has too MANY options. Because obviously you don't want your console to be in the dmz, hyper traffic, and upnp on, and etc. Because your only supposed to choose ONE. So if you put your console in the hyper traffic, i thought it meant it wasn't controlled by CC. Also if CC is on, you shouldn't have uPnP on right, because the CC is essentially QOS right? Because i feel like i lag MORE when other people are doing stuff on my network. The only time i truly get a decent connection is when i come home for lunch. This could be because A. there isn't any other device using the internet other than the couple of computers doing nothing and my cell phone connected through wifi but doing nothing. But night time is a completely different story. Wife usually is on Netflix when i game, computers watching a youtube or usually nothing. I am starting to rubber band now where i didn't before, I'm getting hitmakers on my screen but yet kill cam shows nothing or bullets are going literally right through people, not just shotguns. It seems like I'm shooting air more than marshmallows.

Im trying to figure out why i don't enjoy my Netduma at all so please bear with the questions.

• Netduma Staff

Thats what I'm thinking the Netduma has too MANY options. Because obviously you don't want your console to be in the dmz, hyper traffic, and upnp on, and etc. Because your only supposed to choose ONE. So if you put your console in the hyper traffic, i thought it meant it wasn't controlled by CC. Also if CC is on, you shouldn't have uPnP on right, because the CC is essentially QOS right? Because i feel like i lag MORE when other people are doing stuff on my network. The only time i truly get a decent connection is when i come home for lunch. This could be because A. there isn't any other device using the internet other than the couple of computers doing nothing and my cell phone connected through wifi but doing nothing. But night time is a completely different story. Wife usually is on Netflix when i game, computers watching a youtube or usually nothing. I am starting to rubber band now where i didn't before, I'm getting hitmakers on my screen but yet kill cam shows nothing or bullets are going literally right through people, not just shotguns. It seems like I'm shooting air more than marshmallows.

Im trying to figure out why i don't enjoy my Netduma at all so please bear with the questions.

The Netduma doesn't have a DMZ option. You should use hyper traffic, UPnP and congestion control together. UPnP and hyper traffic are completely different. UPnP opens ports automatically and Hyper traffic prioritises packets from the selected device.

Are you using congestion control and hyper traffic as that should stop you lagging if other people are on your network.

The Netduma doesn't have a DMZ option. You should use hyper traffic, UPnP and congestion control together. UPnP and hyper traffic are completely different. UPnP opens ports automatically and Hyper traffic prioritises packets from the selected device.

Are you using congestion control and hyper traffic as that should stop you lagging if other people are on your network.

Yes i was comparing it (DMZ) to the Netgear Nighthawk since i own that as well so i have used other "gaming" routers. Yes i am using CC, Hyper Traffic, and uPnP.

Just a quick question Kirby9099, have you run ping plotter tests? At lunchtime when it's good and in the evening when it's bad to rule out an issue with your isp?

I haven't but i can certainly try it. I have used it at night during gaming sessions and it is almost rather extremely consistent going to 8.8.8.8 at 39 ping. 

SIDE NOTE: i went into the cc and gave my console (xbox one if anyone was wondering) 80% upload distribution. Actually killing in what should be normal shots...but dying extremely quick. See someone...dead instantly. 

**UPDATE** Forgot to save the update distribution so it was all placebo affect. I will try this tomorrow though..and actually save it.

Ok, googles 8.8.8.8 server is very unstable and can give you some dodgy results. Try Twitter or a national news channel.

Set the interval to 2.5 seconds and right click on the graph at the bottom and set it to 12 hours or something similar. If you can set it to show jitter as well do that and post up the results.

If you run it for 12 hours from lunchtime it will show fairly quiet times through the busiest times.

I know it's a pain in the ass but I punched holes in my floors to run cables and all sorts of stuff before running plotter and finding it was the filters in my modem that was causing lots of jitter and packet loss.

Your ping is fine at those figures but it's the packet loss/jitter that could be the cause of your problems.

Hopefully we will be able to resolve it soon :)

• Administrators

You shouldn't be getting any lag issues with CC on when other people are using the internet. It sounds like some people in your household may be connecting to your ISP hub via WiFi, quite possibly without realising if it's connecting automatically. I would turn off the WiFi on your ISP hub to prevent this. You should then notice the difference CC makes when multiple people are using the internet at the same time.

You shouldn't be getting any lag issues with CC on when other people are using the internet. It sounds like some people in your household may be connecting to your ISP hub via WiFi, quite possibly without realising if it's connecting automatically. I would turn off the WiFi on your ISP hub to prevent this. You should then notice the difference CC makes when multiple people are using the internet at the same time.

Do you mean wifi on my modem/router combo....but i dont have that. I also have the wifi turned off on the Netduma.. I also have set a username and password on my Netduma, so i know people arent accessing it unauthorized. Essentially here is my network. The entire house is wired with either Cat 6a, or 7a between devices.

Modem (Cisco DPC3010 Docsis 3.0) >> Netduma >> Laptop Computer, Xbox One, Switch (10 devices plugged into that, NAS, misc. computers, another switch that houses Smart tv), and Wifi (Nighthawk in Access point mode). Also the only thing that is wireless are two cell phones (one usually doing nothing), and one tablet (usually streaming netflix) but since it falls under the CC that shouldnt matter right?

Have you tried moving the flower to 80 for your ps4, upload and download? Put in source 3074 Udp for hyperlane under cc? I tested streaming ppv for summer slam last night on 3 devices and no lag at all or spikes in cod. But I run modem Sb6121 and netduma only. No issues through kodi buffering or my game play going bad. Almost tempted to run a. Torrent and testing 70/70 cc vs 90/90cc. See if game play changes. I see every now and then shooting around corners but that's server side, usually one person in the lobby. But usually silencer On sub machine guns in hc tdm 1 to 2 bullets running through people easy.

Ok, googles 8.8.8.8 server is very unstable and can give you some dodgy results. Try Twitter or a national news channel.

Set the interval to 2.5 seconds and right click on the graph at the bottom and set it to 12 hours or something similar. If you can set it to show jitter as well do that and post up the results.

If you run it for 12 hours from lunchtime it will show fairly quiet times through the busiest times.

I know it's a pain in the ass but I punched holes in my floors to run cables and all sorts of stuff before running plotter and finding it was the filters in my modem that was causing lots of jitter and packet loss.

Your ping is fine at those figures but it's the packet loss/jitter that could be the cause of your problems.

Hopefully we will be able to resolve it soon :)

I have changed modems to a Motorola SB6120 and it was actually worse. So i have attenuators on my modem but that was supposed to straight the jitter (I saw jitter but im sure its more the close the gap on the frequencies.) out placed by the ISP technician after testing my line. Pinging to twitter might be an outlier because the servers are in california? Im merely speculating but because the servers are further away it would make my ping higher....becuase ping is sitting average at 79 ms to www.twitter.com...but 8.8.8.8 is closer to me since im an hour from Kansas City, Kc/MO which houses google and google fiber. I will be still uploading the output of it so once i get that ill let you know. Thanks again!

I wouldn't worry too much about the ping for this test, I ping 120+ms to west coast usa from uk and can still play games with friends over there. (it takes around 400ms to blink your eyes)

The google 8.8.8.8 server is very flakey, Ive just tried the 8.8.4.4 server to and that is showing massive packet loss at the destination.

BBC.com, BBC.co.uk and twitter are all fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ping for this test, I ping 120+ms to west coast usa from uk and can still play games with friends over there. (it takes around 400ms to blink your eyes)

The google 8.8.8.8 server is very flakey, Ive just tried the 8.8.4.4 server to and that is showing massive packet loss at the destination.

BBC.com, BBC.co.uk and twitter are all fine.

I was thinking because twitter is further away from me it would increase my base ping speed. I can ping the server in Iowa and Dallas at around 32-39 ms But yet Showing in my Netduma those servers. Im pinging 3 times that. If your based in the UK your pings would of course be extremely high pinging a US server...Im pinging a server literally an hour or two away, either google or the Game servers.

For using pingplotter I wouldn't worry that much about the ping unless it is really high. I would like to try to rule out a problem on your line if at all possible by taking a look at the graph and seeing if you are getting much packet loss/jitter etc as this really can cause a problem.

I copied some stuff a while back into a post about jitter which explains the problems it causes in pretty simple terms and this may be what you are experiencing.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/16320-what-exactly-is-jitter/

Here is the link to the Export of the Pingplotter as well as a picture. Not sure how much help they will be. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjoVbES69dp_cfS9JwlMJvFWvMs

Also I would assume there is ZERO packet loss since both my game, router, and pingtest.net show ZERO packet loss. Which got me thinking...maybe i have too much traffic and the little 600 megahertz processor in it cant handle the amount of traffic?

OK, thanks for that. That looks like a nice stable connection and as you say there is no packet loss or apparent jitter. At least we have rule that out.

I am not sure how practicle it would be to do the following but if at all possible would you be able to unplug everything from the network, Stop things connecting via wifi etc.

Next switch off R1 and leave for 5 minutes. (I know you may have already tried this so sorry) Next plug in your console via ethernet and switch R1 back on so the only thing connecting is the console.

Try the standard set up with 70/70 congestion control (even though the only thing connected is the console) console in hyper lane and upnp set up. ( I know you have tried lots of settings before and probably know better settings than I do)

Try a few games and play them out for the full duration and see how they feel. even if you start out getting a good kicking try and stick it out to see if it gets better.

If things are going OK add another device to the set up and try a few more games, Not just 1 as blops is so unpredictable you need to play a few.

Then if OK try adding another device to the network.

If things keep going ok keep adding till things go South, if/when this happens remove the last device connected and try adding a different device and see if it is a particular device that is causing the issue or the amount of devices connected.

A total pain in the ass I know but this is what I would do to try to resolve the issues you have been having.

I also appologise if you have already tried this or I appear to be teaching you how to suck eggs;)

Just trying to help you outthere :) Good luck

I was surprised by your PP results,I honestly figured there would be tons of huge spikes in the plotter.So like bags said that's a huge deal.Try following bags advice and I agree with him it's gonna be a pain in the ass but only for awhile.

It's a process of elimination,if everything golden while adding devices and then you add say a laptop,phone,etc and it goes back to shit then at least you have pinpointed the issue and we can go from there.

And sorry to hear you're still having issues with the router,hopefully we'll get the issue resolved soon.

Archived