Development - Network Monitor (Round one)

• Administrators

The new Network Monitor won't just have live analysis but also historical analysis.

So the question is: Why would YOU personally use the Network Monitor? What would you want included?

To give you some ideas to start with:

• I want to know why my connection is slow right now - I want to see what device is hogging the bandwidth right now & why e.g. my son's laptop is torrenting.
  • My ISP has given me a bandwidth cap - I want due warning via email, sms, whatsapp etc when I am near my limit, so I can change my usage.
  • When I hit my cap I want proof that my ISP isn't lying to me - I want a history of my internet usage for the month.

If you are confused then read this first:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/17376-software-development-lifecycle/

@Yellow5 you can check their url's by going into their browser history.......but it would be handy to have a filter to stop addresses with certain words like on my asus router!

Not sure if this is possible but would like to see addresses/urls of internet usage as well, for parental monitoring :)

https://www.opendns.com/about/press-releases/introducing-familyshield-parental-controls-the-easiest-way-to-keep-kids-safe-online/

Set up the DNS on the childs device to use the OpenDNS familyshield or in a router for a blanket ban :)

I could use the historical data per device to have a go at my son, as I can not have a go over him making me lag any more due to the congestion control, it might give me something to twine about once more.

With PS4 in hyperlane, my son complains that while I am in actual games his connection is significantly impacted.  I would like to be monitor and compare his bandwidth and PS4 bandwidth together over a longer period of time to correlate and review.  This will allow me to see how much it is being affected.  This could also be done across my home network to see the overall affect.

I would like to monitor my PS4 bandwidth over longer periods of time to see how much bandwidth is truly being used.

I would monitor the maximum bandwidths being used by various devices.  Knowing the maximum bandwidths, I can set individual bandwidth limits once the option is added. 

With a lot of people at my house for parties or just hanging out, there are a ton of devices on my network during these times.  I would like to go back during these times to see what the maximum bandwidth that I used. 

If I am downloading a video, game, huge file, etc., it would be nice to see how much actual bandwidth was used for the download.

I mainly want to know who is hammering it more-or-less live - when I notice that my 'late night stream' is buffered to hell and my downloads are slower than usual.

But how much they have been using historically (even if it's just a day or so) would be very useful, when they pretend they weren't the culprit and I can then provide proof, haha, and then I can fetch my whacking stick.

I'd really like to be able to assign colours to devices as I can't tell some of them apart. Especially when I have to check the colour at the top (and that section takes up a lot more space than is necessary) and scroll down to try to match it up.

And I'd like to be able to group devices to users so I could just see 'Tom' is hammering bandwidth at the moment.

(the same grouping for prioritisation would be awesome - but that's another development thread)

I'm not really sure what the point of clicking on the peaks of the graphs is either, it brings up a circle which generally tells me HTTP / HTTPS, doesn't seem particularly useful but probably because I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

I would love to be able to analyze packet traffic on my network. Thereby being able to analyze network problems, being able catch intrusions, detecting network misuse by users, being able to isolate exploited systems, monitoring WAN bandwidth utilization, monitoring network usage, being able to gather and report network statistics, filtering suspect content from network traffic and verifying internal control system effectiveness (firewalls, spam filter). I know it all would be cool but I'm just brainstorming right now.  

I'll be using my openreach modem straight to my netduma in a week or so because I switch isps but I'm unable to access my line stats on the modem so if there was some way of seeing my sync speeds on my netduma without having to run speedtests that would be great

I'll be using my openreach modem straight to my netduma in a week or so because I switch isps but I'm unable to access my line stats on the modem so if there was some way of seeing my sync speeds on my netduma without having to run speedtests that would be great

You sync in the modem not the duma so that can not be done I am afraid Ben.

I'd like for the Network Monitor to include who we connect to by way of IP and resolve those IP addresses, either internally or by allowing us to click on the IP address and be taken to a webpage that resolves the IP for us.

As well as to see the IP's I'd love the ability to see what protocol is being used, whether IPv4/IPv6, Source and Destination, which port and how much data/packets have been transferred to and from.

I love how the Duma is setup now also with the ability to untick devices so we can monitor only one if we wish, I'd still like that to remain but with the ability for the router to remember which ones I left ticked, so the next time only those will appear in the graphs (I hope that made sense)...

I think it was mentioned above but being able to limit the amount of data someone is allowed for the day/week/month or something similar, so if the [place the asshole you know who visits you and kills your bandwidth here] comes over and uses the accessible laptop or tablet, that asshole can't destroy your monthly limit in a few hours downloading 4k video torrents or something.

If historical analysis is available saving to a log file would be helpful in identifying days and times when connection issues or device issues occur. It would be great if it included the in and out traffic with IP's and ports. If you guys still aren't comfortable providing that information than consider masking the data.

Same with what A7Legit said if you could filter or see that protocol the bandwidth is using that would also be useful.

• Administrators

Great ideas so far guys, keep them coming. If you don't have any ideas please do 'Like this' on peoples posts that you like. Don't feel like your ideas may be stupid as they won't be, we want to hear from as many of you as possible.

I like a lot of the suggestions on this page, particularly the ones where it will help give us more parental control over the network.  

I also think the current network monitor needs to revise the way that it displays network activity to a bar graph. In it's current state it's almost impossible to see understand whats using all the data when I have a ton of active devices.  If you display the network traffic the same way you display the peer ping it will be much more clear.

xy network monitor.pdf

I'd like for the Network Monitor to include who we connect to by way of IP and resolve those IP addresses, either internally or by allowing us to click on the IP address and be taken to a webpage that resolves the IP for us.

As well as to see the IP's I'd love the ability to see what protocol is being used, whether IPv4/IPv6, Source and Destination, which port and how much data/packets have been transferred to and from.

I love how the Duma is setup now also with the ability to untick devices so we can monitor only one if we wish, I'd still like that to remain but with the ability for the router to remember which ones I left ticked, so the next time only those will appear in the graphs (I hope that made sense)...

I think it was mentioned above but being able to limit the amount of data someone is allowed for the day/week/month or something similar, so if the [place the asshole you know who visits you and kills your bandwidth here] comes over and uses the accessible laptop or tablet, that asshole can't destroy your monthly limit in a few hours downloading 4k video torrents or something.

sorry but this cannot be done regarding other users ip addresses as as far as i am aware it is illegal to gather ip information.

sorry but this cannot be done regarding other users ip addresses as as far as i am aware it is illegal to gather ip information.

It can be done in OpenWRT and DD-WRT, nothing illegal about it, it's immoral for individuals to then take this info and use it with bad intent but that is not the fault of any 3rd party router software developer.

currently my biggest concern with the network monitor is that when i click into the monitor to see the pie-diagramm of which device uses what amound of connection percentage it just wont work

usually it only shows one big pie in a random color and i manually have to untick boxes to see which device is actually demanding so much connection

(with lots of devices certain colors are 3-5 times there which makes it even more annoying)

why not have an axis to the right of the monitor that directly shows live which graph comes from which device?

then you wouldnt need to look up which devices all have the color green and which of those is actually the one using so much speed

another thing that doesnt fully fit but id like to adress it

in my country pretty much all internet connections have a 24h disconnect to refresh the ip, it would be nice if the R1 has an option to set the timeframe for that reset

right now the timeframe of the connection reset is determined by the time you reset the router, eg if i powercycle the router on 2AM then the connection reset will always be at 2AM

yeah its a workaround but all other routers do have such a functionality and im sure Iain can realize this in less than 3 hours

It can be done in OpenWRT and DD-WRT, nothing illegal about it, it's immoral for individuals to then take this info and use it with bad intent but that is not the fault of any 3rd party router software developer.

You don't even need OpenWRT or DD-WRT to see that kind of information. Almost every router out there provides logs of the traffic including ips, ports, protocols used.

You don't even need OpenWRT or DD-WRT to see that kind of information. Almost every router out there provides logs of the traffic including ips, ports, protocols used.

Whilst that may be the case, the Duma is based off of OpenWRT, which was why I mentioned it.

I think it'd be useful for a historical monitor to show ping/jitter/bandwidth over the course of an online game for just the game as well as the entire connection. i.e. track the peers/host ping and allow for selecting the time frame of the stats.