Ping Plotter result showing packet loss

Toe_SNE

I'm having a terrible time on play Black ops 3 (shocking I know) I've tried temp banning a few of the hosts/ servers where It feels like i'm completely out of synch with whats happening in game. This hasn't helped, my options are all ready limited to what servers I can play on, the only server bank which has been playing OK for me for like 3 weeks has been the UK one on the south coast. I've tried playing on the French, Dutch, Danish? German & Spanish servers, but where It feels like i'm out of synch/ 250ms behind in every game.

I've ran a ping plotter test to twitter to see if the issue is on my end, but I need a more knowledgeable person to let me know if something is wrong. I'm thinking there is an issue between my isp router and the neduma with each showing a packet loss percentage on the ping plotter screen. I've tried a hard reset of both the R1 & Isp router, checked all the cables are in tight.

I'm on PS4, My intrenet is through Zen, my paid speeds are 75/19. I will attach screenshots of my settings.

Toe.

post-1912-0-35152400-1468603198_thumb.png

post-1912-0-31518100-1468604012_thumb.png

post-1912-0-09640000-1468604013_thumb.png

post-1912-0-34679000-1468604014_thumb.png

post-1912-0-28875600-1468604093_thumb.png

Slow down the interval time to 2.5, 0.5 is two fast.

I changed the interval like you suggested and now the new graph is showing massive spikes :(

post-1912-0-32449000-1468609916_thumb.png

Was this taken during the day or was it taken at night?  

We really like to have two samples, one from the middle of the night when the network is quiet and then one shortly before/after dinner when most people are streaming and surfing.  Ideally we would want as little/NO internet traffic in your home when the tests were running to give the best judge of line quality.

The difference between the two will give us an idea of what you are up against with your network.

Now if this is your middle of the night QUIET sample?  Yeah, that's not great.... :(

Was this taken during the day or was it taken at night?  

We really like to have two samples, one from the middle of the night when the network is quiet and then one shortly before/after dinner when most people are streaming and surfing.  Ideally we would want as little/NO internet traffic in your home when the tests were running to give the best judge of line quality.

The difference between the two will give us an idea of what you are up against with your network.

Now if this is your middle of the night QUIET sample?  Yeah, that's not great.... :(

Both of the tests are from this afternoon, I'm the only one on the internet right now. I noticed with the last image I posted that I'd forgot to rewire the laptop so ill run another test with the wire connected. 

Both of the tests are from this afternoon, I'm the only one on the internet right now. I noticed with the last image I posted that I'd forgot to rewire the laptop so ill run another test with the wire connected. 

They do look like my spikes over wireless actually. If you run pingplotter over wifi it will make your line look terrible.

I expect it will look loads better over ethernet.

As Zen said, slow down the pings - 0.5sec (and even 1 sec) frequently shows packet loss.

As well as the great advice given above, let it run for several hours and click on the bottom graph and set it to 6 hours or something to give you a better overall picture of your connection.

post-788-0-62516500-1468701036_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us updated :)

Sorry I didn't follow up on this for ages. I was only using a trial version of ping plotter, once the trial finished I only had access to a limited amount of features & couldn't post the images people would need to see if I had line issues. I deleted the app and re downloaded it to see if I could start a new trial but It didn't work.

I took a break from playing play Black ops 3 as well, I was just constantly messing around with my connection and getting no where. I am honestly not getting any benefit using the R1 after switching internet to Zen, when previously on a worse internet connection from virgin media I was seeing the benefit. Especially when going back and playing older games on the 360 using the geofilter/ Hyper traffic.

The main Issues at the minute are;

1) Can't achieve an open nat type on any consoles, just getting a moderate/ strict nat, even after following this guide - http://forum.netduma.com/topic/15763-port-forward-for-blops3-on-ps4. Adding the netduma to the DMZ, manually forwarding ports or using upnp.

2) Getting error MTU error messages on 360 when trying to connect to xbox live, as well as consistent disconnects on xbox 360 (all while wired).

IMO, the vdsl modem/ router Zen provided us (a ZyXEL VMG1312) isn't mating with the R1 properly. After doing a bit of digging around the Zen forum the only posts about that model are negative ones complaining about how a shit it is. Now I wasn't worried about the router they sent us, my line of thinking was it's not going to matter, I will put it in modem mode and everything will be taken care of by the netduma. I'm honestly annoyed because something is fundamentally wrong with my set up. Playing with or without the R1 connected has proven no different. I don't want to be forced to go out and pay another £100+ for a replacement vdsl router.

• Administrators
  1. On your ISP hub disable any UPnP & port forwarding. Disable UPnP forwarding in misc settings of the duma. Set static IP's for your consoles in DHCP lease & follow this for port forwarding multiple consoles https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games
  2. Have you set a custom MTU on the duma or 360? If so make sure to change to auto for both. 

After the above what is your average ping to a game?

1. On your ISP hub disable any UPnP & port forwarding. Disable UPnP forwarding in misc settings of the duma. Set static IP's for your consoles in DHCP lease & follow this for port forwarding multiple consoles https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games
  2. Have you set a custom MTU on the duma or 360? If so make sure to change to auto for both. 

After the above what is your average ping to a game?

I updated the firmware for the ZyXEL from their website as I seen a new one was available but it locked me out of using the interface. So I went and got a TP-link W9970 for around £35.

1) All the upnp forwarding is disabled/ each console has a static ip set in the R1 settings (upnp in misc is un ticked too) & I followed the guide from Activision to manually add ports.

2) The MTU settings are set to automatic on both 360 & netduma. I can get an open nat, but only on one console at a time. Any ideas how to have all them achieve an open nat? It feels like which ever console gets port 3074 gets the open nat? The guide from activison doesnt seem to help.

My in game ping for black ops 3 on PS4 shows between 14-17 on the netduma, the in game ping goes from 17-30 consistently though with the in game ping meter. I know the consensus from most people is to ignore the in game one as it seems inaccurate, but I only noticed the in game ping variation since the 2nd to last black ops 3 update.

post-1912-0-84008600-1470324795_thumb.png

post-1912-0-73168600-1470325071_thumb.png

post-1912-0-86009400-1470335720_thumb.png

• Administrators

Okay that makes sense. As UPnP if off the other ports needed for Playstation service aren't being opened. You'll need to open all ports manually that are needed for online. Then you should have an open NAT on both.

Thats a great low ping, it seems like it's doing it's job. The in game always seems to fluctuate from 17-30ms I've never seen it not do that so I would just focus on what the duma ping is saying.

Archived