Tired of "Nameless Devices" on your network? Use this...

major masingil

Anyone else hate having "Nameless Devices" on your networks? Here is a cool tool you can use to find out what those nameless devices are on your network.  Use the R1's Device Manager, this link    http://192.168.88.1/cgi-bin/devices.sh.    and this link   http://www.macvendors.com/

I opened (3) web pages

Page 1_  First open a new browser page and enter:   http://192.168.88.1/cgi-bin/devices.sh.  

Page 2_ Open 2nd page and enter this:  http://www.macvendors.com/
Page 3_ Then open a 3rd window and get into the "Edit" portion of the Device Manager on the R1 GUI

Do these steps one at a time. It's pretty convoluted. You guys may figure out a better way, but this is what I came up with:

1. On page 3, I went to the first nameless device in the "Edit" portion of the Device Manager and changed the "type" to printer
  2. Refresh Page 1 and locate the MAC of the nameless device you just turned into a printer
  3. On Page 2 enter the MAC address into the tool to find out who the manufaurer is of the device to help identify it
  4. Go back to page 3 and change the name of the "Nameless Device" to the actual name and change the type to the most relevant class. ie phone, tablet, laptop or even printer if that's what it turns out to be
  5. Repeat steps until all your nameless devices have been determined

The phantom on my network is soon to be discovered...

And I will punish them with -50% bandwidth for a week.

Nay, a month.

No. For life.

They will learn not to mock my 'network meetings'.

The phantom on my network is soon to be discovered...

And I will punish them with -50% bandwidth for a week.

Nay, a month.

No. For life.

They will learn not to mock my 'network meetings'.

Frig that...if it insists to remain unknown, block that crap until they beg for mercy

Frig that...if it insists to remain unknown, block that crap until they beg for mercy

That device will be removed from the network and destroyed with fire in the garden (unless it turns out to be mine).

It's the rest of their devices that will be reduced by 50% (again, unless it was mine).

If it does turn out to be mine then I will name the device, and I will celebrate the successful detective work by allocating myself extra bandwidth (thereby reducing everyone else by 50%).

That device will be removed from the network and destroyed with fire in the garden (unless it turns out to be mine).

It's the rest of their devices that will be reduced by 50% (again, unless it was mine).

If it does turn out to be mine then I will name the device, and I will celebrate the successful detective work by allocating myself extra bandwidth (thereby reducing everyone else by 50%).

You are a Just Leader...look out Monarchy here comes Boom!

Bandwidth rationing is the only way to control the savage peasants.

But should they discover that they can remove the Netduma and factory reset the hub and use the default password off the sticker on the back all will be lost.

Luckily they know little of the internet, foolishly wasting their time on Facebook and playing with 'shiny things'.

nameless device could be a laptop.

i have a nameless device but when i connect my laptop via ethernet the nameless device changes to my laptop.

Most of mine were wifi speakers, but there were 2 that were real question as they have no right that I know of to be on my network.  My wifi is password protected too

My phantom hasn't re-appeared on the network since I did a factory reset the other day.

Now I'm just annoyed because I really wanted to know what it was...

Thank you for sharing.  I had 4 nameless devices, and I have been trying to figure out which one was which for a while without having to delete and slowly add them one at a time.  This worked perfectly.  I now have them all renamed.

TIP:  For most devices, the MAC address is often printed directly onto the device.  This will help as well to identify them.

• 2 weeks later...

The nameless device that nobody would claim as theirs has just turned up again, I put the MAC into this website and it just says 'Private'.

Any ideas?

Edit - It was a Kindle!

The owner will not be punished because they are the best cook in the house by a considerable margin.

The nameless device that nobody would claim as theirs has just turned up again, I put the MAC into this website and it just says 'Private'.

Any ideas?

Edit - It was a Kindle!

The owner will not be punished because they are the best cook in the house by a considerable margin.

One of the important rules in life...never f**k with the cook or people who handle your food... ;)

Archived