Unusual setup. Looking for advice...

Ok i have just found a brand new untouched Moden boxed :), it an ECI model. I have more in the loft both kinds and they have the custom firmware on but cant go up there yet as guys here know i had a operration 2 months ago and am not able to climb the ladder. If you want this one you can have it if you pay for P+P its very easy to flash a custom firmware on if thats what you require or i can try to find the others but i need to wait for my son to pop round so i can send into DADS SPACE lol.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When G.INP was enabled on my cab i have since seen a rise in sync speed of 7mb and fast path , bt did one thing right then messed up the pushing of firmware to ECI modems thinking all the engineers gave the right modems to customers to what cab they are on , yeah right  :)

I have asked BT engineers before if cab and modem need to match and have been told no need for it to match, i used to get better figures using HG612  and my cab is ECI weird mmmmmm.

Not all engineers are equal (or actually openreach employees). A great deal of installations were handled by contractors. I actually refused to allow a contractor to do a new line for me about 2 years ago after a poor previous experience.

It was recently confirmed by Openreach that the cab : modem should still be matched.

You categorically do not want an ECI modem on a hauwei cabinet. GNIP will screw you up and put you on heavy interleaving.

I have asked BT engineers before if cab and modem need to match and have been told no need for it to match, i used to get better figures using HG612  and my cab is ECI weird mmmmmm.

That is weird ,you would think using matching equipment is way to go....it is BT though....lol

Not all engineers are equal (or actually openreach employees).

It was recently confirmed by Openreach that the cab : modem should still be matched.

You categorically do not want an ECI modem on a hauwei cabinet. GNIP will screw you up and put you on heavy interleaving.

Yep, I read up loads on this at that's what the final conclusion was

Not all engineers are equal (or actually openreach employees).

This was nearly 2 years ago, maybe things have changed :) i will need to get him a HG612 one form the loft then. If any one wants a ECI one i have 2 here one boxed new and another flashed with CFW if any ones interested.

They should have matched the modems to the cabs thats why now there is a mass problem of people with ECI modems on Hauwei cabs complaing of a loss of 10 mb and high pings.

I had an older G.INP uncompatable FW on my modem and boom when it was enabled i went from 60 mb to 47 mb and my pings went to 32ms

I frequent TBB so luckly found out quick it was the FW and i updated to a G.INP compatable FW and the rest is history 67mb and fast path happy days.

They are both ECI , you need a Hauwei , Raddy has one he is going to get someone ratch it out of his loft for you .... read above :)

Just asking for P&P is very kind of you Raddy what a gent :)

Ok i have just found a brand new untouched Moden boxed :), it an ECI model. I have more in the loft both kinds and they have the custom firmware on but cant go up there yet as guys here know i had a operration 2 months ago and am not able to climb the ladder. If you want this one you can have it if you pay for P+P its very easy to flash a custom firmware on if thats what you require or i can try to find the others but i need to wait for my son to pop round so i can send into DADS SPACE lol.

@Raddy - Brilliant, I'll take you up on your offer if you don't mind. Let me know how much & I'll sort it. Paypal?

@Raddy - Brilliant, I'll take you up on your offer if you don't mind. Let me know how much & I'll sort it. Paypal?

Will do m8, just need to dig them out and then i will show a pic just to confirm they are suitable for you.

Will do m8, just need to dig them out and then i will show a pic just to confirm they are suitable for you.

As long as it's a Hauwei as Buds & Zennon stated above. Well chuffed here!!! ;-)))

They should have matched the modems to the cabs thats why now there is a mass problem of people with ECI modems on Hauwei cabs complaing of a loss of 10 mb and high pings.

I had an older G.INP uncompatable FW on my modem and boom when it was enabled i went from 60 mb to 47 mb and my pings went to 32ms

I frequent TBB so luckly found out quick it was the FW and i updated to a G.INP compatable FW and the rest is history 67mb and fast path happy days.

<3 TBB and Kitz are good resources for UK broadband issues. Kitz is a slower board and not as active but does have extremely knowledgable and helpful folk if you run into problems.

This was nearly 2 years ago, maybe things have changed :) i will need to get him a HG612 one form the loft then. If any one wants a ECI one i have 2 here one boxed new and another flashed with CFW if any ones interested.

Very kind offers Raddy :)

Very kind offers Raddy :)

They are just sitting there so i dont need them, i have the awsome Sky-SR102 NOT lol but it saves on space as its all in one. I did have an Asus which i bought for £180 but skys crappy MER kept it on Interleaved so i took it back and said it was broke :).

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for purchasing, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for helping everyone very much appreciated. These guys know their stuff!

Ive ran out of likes for the day so i just say i like that post Buds :)

Haha, no worries mate. Happens to me all the time :)

Glad OP is sorted and all ordered up :)

I ran out of likes too :-( Looking forward to the R1 arriving tomorrow & doing a bit of tinkering. I'll find out how flakey or not the HH5 is when I attempt to relegate it to just a modem!

Hi again guys, got the r1 yesterday, set it up as by the instructions in the box. It all worked with some minor glitches which I hope to clear up today bearing in mind my "unusual" setup as described in the OP.

Some general info:   SETUP: PC ---wired---> Netgear DGN2200v3 N300 router ---wired ---> NETDUMA r1 ---> HH5 ---> interwebs.

ADITIONAL NOTES: 1 wired PC & 1 wireless PC from upstairs also connected to the r1

This worked out of the box configured as above. R1 was put in a DMZ on the HH5 although all worked before I put it in a DMZ. The only difference was when NOT in a DMZ I had a "Moderate" NAT in CoD:AW. (Pre r1 my NAT was always "OPEN".)

As I said earlier, all works but I noticed a reduction in d/l speed of approx 20/30mb. Is there any settings I need to set on the WAN/LAN sections within the r1 setup pages or the HH5 for that matter or any other settings I will need to change?

On the "Select Game/Services" page, what setting do I need for my PC as I don't have a PS or xbox & i don't play any of the games in the list provided?!

I know it's not the ideal setup with the HH5 in the mix but i can only work with what I have for the time being. Hopefully Raddy will remedy this for me very soon ;-)

Any advice would be greatly received.

Hi, untick ipv6 in settings "wan" , "lan" and Miscellaneous Settings

Normaly you would also untick Enable deep packet processing also in Miscellaneous Settings but as you are PC gaming you may want to keep this on for host analysis.

Set your real world download speed into the congestion control (use speedtest.net and www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk)

When the sliders are at 100% you will get full throughput when you set to 70% while gaming or others using the net (to stop pings fluctuating) there will be a reduction in speed but this is so there is a buffer so to speak For the CC to work.

There is also a new firmware update as of yesterday if you wish to update follow the guide that Iain has made here. :)

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update

Archived