Multiple Xbox One Open NAT Type

abc123

So one of the huge features other routers offer is the ability to block ports, the reason this is hugely beneficial is when xbox one's get onto the network and begins opening ports if it cannot open 3074 it will instead pick a random port this allows multiple xboxes onto a single network easily

• 1 month later...

So I have the unique situation of having 3 XB1s under 1 roof and network. I have assigned reserved IP addresses for all 3 XB1s. uPnP is enabled. I'm getting Moderate NAT for all 3 XB1 in BO3, However Open NAT on the Dashboard/Settings/Networking. 

I do see that there is a KB for using Port Forwarding and i'm thinking about trying to set up PF rules for each XB1 to see if BO3 can gain a Open NAT for ALL XB1s. http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000028196-port-forwarding-settings

I know I can get Open NAT on all 3 as the other router I have can do this. 

Anyone else running 2 or more XB1s with Open NAT on all consoles? 

Thank you Fraser, will give this a try after work today. We played last nite while using uPnP and no PF. Gaming seemed ok with all on Moderate NAT, however one console was kicked after a while. Will set up PF as see.

What should the Start and End port configuration be for each console?

3074 to 3075 for 2nd console or 3075 to 3075 for 2nd console?

So I got home and started configuring PF rules for 3 XB1s.

I set the first XB1 to 3074 and 3074 and Both protocols, disabled uPnP and also uPnP Port Forwarding. Then rebooted the router.

Turned on the first XB1 only and Network settings reports Open NAT however BO3 reports Moderate NAT. 

I set the other 2 XB1s for 3075 to 3075 and 3076 to 3076 and remained OFF as I wanted to see if I can get OPEN NAT on the 1st XB1. 

I can't over lap any ports in the PF UI. 

I presume I can't use a more global port range for each PF rule either. 

There specific detailed steps listed on how to set up more than one XB1 to attain in game OPEN NAT and what R1 options that need to be enabled and disabled? I'm sure I'm probably missing something. 

Only NAT is the router. ISP modem doesn't have any router built in. 

I re-enabled uPnP and uPnP Port Fowarding on the R1 and deleted all PF rules:

First XB! reported in the R1s uPnP status:

Desc External Port Internal Port IP Address Protocol

Teredo 3074 3074 192.168.0.199 UDP
DemonwarePortMapping 3075 3075 192.168.0.199 UDP
BO3 reported OPEN NAT

2nd XB1 reported in R1s uPnP status after clearing the xbox settings and going off line then back online after it reported Moderate NAT in the network settings. Finally got Open NAT in XB network setings

Teredo 52591 52591 192.168.0.197 UDP

DemonwarePortMapping 3155 3075 192.168.0.197 UDP

BO3 reported Moderate NAT

3rd XB1

Pending test

I thought maybe setting PF rules to 3074 to 3075 for the 1st xb and 3076 to 3077 for the 2nd xbox and so on:

xb1 Open Nat NW settings, BO3 OPEN NAT

xb2 Moderate Nat in NW settings, BO3 Moderate NAT

Recording my test experiences here.

If you use manual port forwarding completely instead of UPnP does the same occur? 

If it's just one port do 3075-3075 for example.

it appears the issue is with the firewall config file, UPnP is likely set above the priority for defined port rules.  Following that I imagine that when a manual port is added it isn't added to the UPnP Block list.  These are all settings possible with OpenWRT out of the box.

Yes, as I mentioned in the post above, I completely turned off uPnP and uPnP PF and set one PF rule for my XB1 with a reserved IP address to use the same port for beginning and ending and found that NAT was OPEN in the networking settings however was moderate for BO3 with just one console. I hoped that BO3 would report Open. 

Seems there maybe either something in FW that isn't handling the configuration correctly or uPnP isn't handling the automatic assigning of ports correctly for all 3 consoles that connect sequentially and game online at the same time.

I'll be loosing a 3rd xbox as that console is leaving my house tomorrow, however I'll still have two consoles to play around with. I'm hoping we can figure this out. I'd like to help provide a good solid step by step detailed information on how to set up the R1 for users with more than one game console.

Let me know if you need any wireshark captures and such. Wanna figure this one out. :)

If you use manual port forwarding completely instead of UPnP does the same occur? 

If it's just one port do 3075-3075 for example.

Yes, the ability to open random virtual ports is essential.

I presume there are many users with more than one device of the same type and specifically when it comes to game consoles, NAT and status of it seems to be highly important for users and gamers. I presume that since the norm is Open NAT however I've played Moderate NAT before and haven't noticed any major issues while playing however there maybe some network and maybe some gaming performance degradation at some level. Also I presume that not having OPEN NAT would also have some impact on how the R1 handles the traffic with in it's QoS logic maybe on some level.

I think on average some house holds have more than one game console and are actively gaming on both. Just how well the router is setup to handle more that one console and how well the FW is designed, hard to tell. I know that for me, at least one router Mfr (non Netdume) does handle multiple game consoles and does it pretty well. I'm hoping that the R1 can come up to meet these needs if possible. I do enjoy the R1 and ti does well for single gamers, Multiple consoles would be great.

So one of the huge features other routers offer is the ability to block ports, the reason this is hugely beneficial is when xbox one's get onto the network and begins opening ports if it cannot open 3074 it will instead pick a random port this allows multiple xboxes onto a single network easily

• Administrators

I will look into making that a possibility. 

Heres a good explanation that may provide a bit more insight: 

The reason you need NAT is because you only have 1 internet IP address but you have multiple devices on your LAN. So NAT does fancy tricks to make all those devices appear as 1 computer. NAT in nearly all scenarios is transparent, you can't tell it is happening which is great.

The only time NAT is visible is when the first packet for an application comes from the WAN side first instead of LAN which is far more typical. When that packet arrives it has no idea which device to send it to. So this is where port forwarding comes in, if the packet is destined for a particular port the port forwarding table tells it which individual device to forward the packet to.

Obviously you can't have 2 devices port forwarded because then you're back at the same problem, which device would get it?

The way to get multiple consoles to get open NAT is usually through UPnP. It simply automates the port forwarding process so the game can dictate to the router which ports to open. In the case of the multiple consoles the second console would open a higher number port.

So what you should do if you have multiple consoles is delete all port forwarding and let UPnP do the work. If you have UPnP and Geo-filter disabled and it's still not open. Unfortunately that is a game issue and we're not able to help you. I realise that is frustrating, I hope this explanation at least helps you understand the reason why. We're not trying to pass the buck.

If you're behind another router make sure it has no port forwarding rules and the R1 is put in its DMZ.

Thanks for the additional info. This info is known already to me.

Yes, we know that you can't have more than one device occupying a single more, thus the reason for having uPnP open and connect up a virtual port for the additional device that needs use of the same service port. This is seen when in my prior post when uPnP was enabled:

First XB! reported in the R1s uPnP status:

Desc External Port Internal Port IP Address Protocol

Teredo 3074 3074 192.168.0.199 UDP Main XBL port used by uPnP.
DemonwarePortMapping 3075 3075 192.168.0.199 UDP
BO3 reported OPEN NAT

2nd XB1 reported in R1s uPnP status after clearing the xbox settings and going off line then back online after it reported Moderate NAT in the network settings. Finally got Open NAT in XB network setings

Teredo 52591 52591 192.168.0.197 UDP <<<Virtual port used here configured by uPnP

DemonwarePortMapping 3155 3075 192.168.0.197 UDP <<<Virtual port used here configured by uPnP

I have a single NAT condition and have always had single NAT:

ISP modem: Motorola SB 6 series modem only, no built in router here>R1(NAT)<>LAN connected devices to R1.

Again, I can get OPEN NAT when using a different Mfr router with 3 game consoles connected in BO3. I'm hoping to get the same with the R1 when more than one Xbox is connected, and yes, while using uPnP with out having to configure any PF rules.

Please use darker color test when quoting. Hard to see the very light gray test in ur last message.

I have a single NAT condition and have always had single NAT:

ISP modem: Motorola SB 6 series modem only, no built in router here>R1(NAT)<>LAN connected devices to R1.

Again, I can get OPEN NAT when using a different Mfr router with 3 game consoles connected in BO3. I'm hoping to get the same with the R1 when more than one Xbox is connected, and yes, while using uPnP with out having to configure any PF rules.

Please use darker color test when quoting. Hard to see the very light gray test in ur last message.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackops3/comments/3rsw61/open_port_3075_for_open_nat_type/

This poster there has similar problem to what I'm seeing:

"Euphoric_Fusion

My issue is getting 2 Xbox Ones on the same network to both have open NAT on Black Ops 3. Both are open in the Xbox network test and we have no problems there. It's just Black Ops which has one open and the other moderate.

UPnP works fine for the first console that connects to the BO3 server and the portmap table shows 3075 internal/external and results in an open NAT.

The second will then try to use 3075 but be assigned a different external port which results in moderate NAT. The bad thing is is it does this every time I boot the game up on the second console so the portmap table is filled with entries from the second Xbox with 3075 internal but a different external number for each entry. Both consoles have static ips and as I said the Xbox test has no problems in the both being open (first uses 3074 for LIVE, the second gets assigned 56798 for LIVE) and I even tried turning off UPnP and manually forwarding those ports for each but that just gave me moderate NAT on the LIVE test on the second Xbox. I tried that just to see if I could block 3075 on one console so it would move to 3076.

Anyway, /u/wickerwaka (dev? Sorry I'm new here) if we could have that advanced option to choose a port I'd be grateful. All those duplicate entries on the portmap table are bugging the crap out of me!"

This posted mentioned this:

[–]Arizzle4lArizzle4l 0 points

9 months ago  

Here is what worked for me. I originally had moderate NAT and later it changed to Strict. I now have open NAT.
Give your xbox one a static IP.
Disable uPnP. (Might have some ports you're trying to forward already in table)
Add these into port forwarding section on your router:
80 (UDP)
88, 500, 3544, 4500 (TCP)
53, 3074, 3075 (Both)
Re-enable uPnP if you did disable it.
Reboot Router.
Reboot Xbox One. (I cleared alt mac just in case, which does hard reboot for you)"

However it's not mentioned that if this is or one more two or more xbox consoles from this user.

How would ports be configured on the R1 for two xb1s? 3074 to 3074 for the 1st xbox and 3075-3075 for the 2nd xbox? I've tired this and doesn't seem to work.

Here's what I use on my non NetDuma router:

Local IP address range 192.168.0.198 thru .199 which are reserved IP addresses for each XB1.

QoS Port Range feature is available on this router so I input 1 thru 65535 using Both Protocols.

uPnP is enabled thus letting it handle any ports that both xb1s need. With the 1 thru 65535 configured in QoS, uPnP seems to be able to get 3074 assigned for the 1st XB1 and a available virtual port needed for the 2nd XB1.

Using this configuration on a Non NetDuma router gets OPEN NAT in both dashboard and BO3 with both XB1s are online.

Unfortunately I can't configure the R1 using this method as the PF rules are constrained for each IP address and ports used for each address.

I'm wondering if there is a uPnP issue with the R1 and something is not happening correctly with two or more XB1s are connected.

Configuration of PF rules is also something that needs to be looked at as well for configuration of two or more game consoles.

Hoping to find some definitive details for the R1. Possible that maybe the R1 can't handle two or more game consoles being online at the same time...

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance you have been able to have a look at this on your system? ;)

it appears the issue is with the firewall config file, UPnP is likely set above the priority for defined port rules.  Following that I imagine that when a manual port is added it isn't added to the UPnP Block list.  These are all settings possible with OpenWRT out of the box.

So I presume that the game is either giving false status or the dashboard is?

Do you turn both XB1s on at the same time or one at a time?

What is the status of BO3 if you only turn on 1 xbox?

on black ops, both my xboxes appear as Moderate...on Xbox they both show Open NAT type

So I presume that the game is either giving false status or the dashboard is?

Do you turn both XB1s on at the same time or one at a time?

What is the status of BO3 if you only turn on 1 xbox?

One is always on the other is turned on and off randomly

I have open NAT with 1 single XB1 being online. If the 2nd one comes online, It's Moderate in BO3.

I can get OPEN NAT on both XB1s in BO3 when using a non ND R1 router.

I almost always have open nat on BO3 because i have the ports forwarded manually, i believe BO3 has a bug with requesting port 3074 open

Archived