Bufferbloat Grades.

SM961

The console web browsers are not the best optimised for those kinds of tests, but I can understand why you'd try to test those considering we want to test our connections for these devices...

The console web browsers are not the best optimised for those kinds of tests, but I can understand why you'd try to test those considering we want to test our connections for these devices...

Yep, I now know that.

Well i get A+ in bufferbloat even with 1-2 300ms spikes on upload on pc.

Not too sure about that, if it spiked like 30-40ms you may but 300ms twice may cause the rating to drop to an A or a B+

Not too sure about that, if it spiked like 30-40ms you may but 300ms twice may cause the rating to drop to an A or a B+

Thats a very rare case i always get A with cc on even if there are 300ms spikes on upload . My upload speed sucks today i was playing bo3 and my parents were video chatting with relatives and when that happens my online game goes to sh*t so i had to enable cc and then their video call started lagging. They were like turn off your game and i was like how about we get better internet.

If all devices are connected to the R1 and you have sufficient bandwidth, using CC shouldn't cause that issue to happen.

If bandwidth is sufficient (28DL / 5UL), with congestion at 70/70 and if using the Xbox in hyperlane - would this cause other devices on the network to suffer at all whilst gaming?

The Duma needs to be the brains behind controlling the bandwidth, not the devices before it in the chain (if you use multiple routers &/or switches) otherwise you'll cause more problems and quality of service will suffer, which includes ping.

The Duma needs to be the brains behind controlling the bandwidth, not the devices before it in the chain (if you use multiple routers &/or switches) otherwise you'll cause more problems and quality of service will suffer, which includes ping.

Yeh, I know, that's not what i'm asking.

I'm asking if the Xbox in hyperlane can cause the other devices on the network to suffer whilst I'm gaming.

I'm asking if the Xbox in hyperlane can cause the other devices on the network to suffer whilst I'm gaming.

No, unless those other devices are latency sensitive (VOIP, other online games/consoles) or if you decide to download DLC or a dashboard update on your XB1 with hyper-traffic enabled.

No, unless those other devices are latency sensitive (VOIP, other online games/consoles) or if you decide to download DLC or a dashboard update on your XB1 with hyper-traffic enabled.

Cool, cheers.

So would I be right to think that if I was running ping plotter on my laptop whilst I was gaming then I would notice big random spikes all over my ping plotter graph?

Caused by the console being in hyperlane.

In which case, how does the Netduma host ping graph work?

Surely that would also show big spikes all over the place (because the console is in hyperlane), it's still the laptop pinging an IP, and so would it really give a true reflection of the ping your console has to the server/host?

I've been wondering about this for a while...

ps. I know I'm going off topic here but the OP has solved his own issue so this isn't derailing anything. Maybe I'lll make a thread for this in a bit.

Pinging a server with your R1 (ICMP) via your laptop whilst your XB1 is in hyper-lane playing BO3 for example shouldn't affect anything...

Hyper-lane/traffic is PFiFo, you're telling the R1 to prioritise XB1 packets first (UDP for online multiplayer).

Packets First in First out = PFiFo.

If I've understood your questions, using ICMP echo request does not affect TCP/UDP delivery...

BUT, if you configure Ping plotter to send TCP packets as shown here: https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/packetoptions.html then it could (but not necessarily will) cause issues, but I'd leave Ping plotter at default anyway.

The very best way to find out would be to test with hyper-traffic on and off for your XB1...

Most games like COD only use a small amount of bandwidth.  I have monitored my PS4 on Netduma while playing BO3, and typically I am only using about 400K (not M) for upload and download each.  Therefore, the rest of your network will not notice much of a hit - assuming that you don't have a really low overall bandwidth.  That is why you can get good ping responses on your laptop.   If you were download a big file on your console, it will prioritize that and cause network congestion.  

The reverse is why the hyperlane helps.  For example, someone is downloading a big file, watching movies/youtube (especially HD stuff), etc. and you are NOT using hyperlane.  The delays from these bandwidth hogs would cause delays/congestion in processing your gaming communication.  Of course, this would affect your gaming performance.

Pinging a server with your R1 (ICMP) via your laptop whilst your XB1 is in hyper-lane playing BO3 for example shouldn't affect anything...

Hyper-lane/traffic is PFiFo, you're telling the R1 to prioritise XB1 packets first (UDP for online multiplayer).

Packets First in First out = PFiFo.

If I've understood your questions, using ICMP echo request does not affect TCP/UDP delivery...

BUT, if you configure Ping plotter to send TCP packets as shown here: https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/packetoptions.html then it could (but not necessarily will) cause issues, but I'd leave Ping plotter at default anyway.

The very best way to find out would be to test with hyper-traffic on and off for your XB1...

So the ping from my laptop is not going to affect my game at all, as I'd expect, with pings being tiny and with congestion control + hyperlane doing it's thing.

But to what extant would the game packets affect the ping showing on the laptop, either on the Duma graph or Ping Plotter (left at default settings)?

Or as Wildcats said,

Is the bandwidth usage so low that the pings should not be affected at all because there's plenty of space with the bandwidth (there is plenty to spare) - obviously I'd expect a couple of ms here and there of course but not big spikes or massive increase in jitter on the graph?

If all devices are connected to the R1 and you have sufficient bandwidth, using CC shouldn't cause that issue to happen.

Yeah i know but my upload is like 450-500kbps and cc has helped me alot now atleast i can game in peace. Even the netduma can't help my poor internet. Its not netdumas fault its my crap internet. The netduma always tries its best to stop others from ruining my game and im happy to have it.

• Administrators

Yeah i know but my upload is like 450-500kbps and cc has helped me alot now atleast i can game in peace. Even the netduma can't help my poor internet. Its not netdumas fault its my crap internet. The netduma always tries its best to stop others from ruining my game and im happy to have it.

Ahh I see! Great that it's been helping you :)

-------

Colonic A7 basically answered your questions :)

Archived