Netduma Router, Hardwired Comcast

I recently picked up a Netduma router and sometimes if feels like it's working well, while subtle I do notice some games it seems to help. Here are my specs and curious if anyone had any issues with Comcast or perhaps some of their hardware, just looking to get more consistent results.

Mainly used for COD Black Ops 3 on XBOX1

Netduma Router (even when I find settings I think work inevitably I end up in laggy games still, not all the time, but still sometimes)

Comcast Rented Modem/Router: TC8305 modem/router

Comcast: 50 down and 12 up

Ping via speedtest.net is roughly around 12ms to 15ms

Ping via pingtest.net is roughly around 15ms, doesn't seem to measure packet loss and jitter is 3ms and usually comes back with B*

Hardwired

I am in Illinois if that is of significance. Not well versed on networking.

Are there other ways I can improve the speeds or is the best I can get. Just curious if there are ways I can look to increase the effectiveness of my setup.

Appreciate any input especially those that had similar situations and what your findings were.

Okay, ensure that all of these things are correct:

- Reactive Algorithm even though you have a  50/12 bandwidth

- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Some may recommend disabling IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc but I have mine enabled with good results
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Ensure the ethernet cables are Cat5e and above

I have comcast and if you have any specific questions please feel free to shoot me a message if you would like.

Also I wanted to add you can not increase your bandwidth speed more than what you are receiving from your ISP. You can only improve upon the quality of you connection to a point. Sometimes the quality of your connection is out of your hands and in your ISP's.

• Administrators

In terms of best setup for gaming. 

Should go comcast (modem mode) > R1 (all devices)

Anti-flood 70/70, console in hyper traffic. ~1000km radius, strict on, PA 0. That should get you started

In terms of best setup for gaming. 

Should go comcast (modem mode) > R1 (all devices)

Anti-flood 70/70, console in hyper traffic. ~1000km radius, strict on, PA 0. That should get you started

is the ppoe client on the duma not the best?

I know it works but is it better to use something else with the duma behind like you mentioned, or is that just a dsl thing?

In regards to this comment.... "Comcast (modem mode) > R1 (all devices)"

After looking at it again, I believe what you mean is from comcast, connect to comcast modem, and than connect to netduma router, than connect to all devices. I wasn't sure if there was a setting I needed to change on the comcast modem but it doesn't look like it after looking at your comment again.

After looking at it again, I believe what you mean is from comcast, connect to comcast modem, and than connect to netduma router, than connect to all devices. I wasn't sure if there was a setting I needed to change on the comcast modem but it doesn't look like it after looking at your comment again.

If the Comcast equipment has the ability to use Wifi, you want to disable that and allow the Duma to handle that for you*.  That insures that every device is guarded against interrupting your gaming session.  

*That is, unless you have some super crazy wifi needs as there are currently small limitations with the Duma Wifi, or so we have been told by a few.  I personally let the Duma handle it all for household and we haven't had a problem with it that wasn't tied to #Canary Testing

• Administrators

is the ppoe client on the duma not the best?

I know it works but is it better to use something else with the duma behind like you mentioned, or is that just a dsl thing?

If your speeds are under 100mbps I would say it's absolutely fine :)

As above, if your Comcast broadcasts wifi then you will need to go into the Comcast interface and enable modem mode if possible. If that's not an option, then disabling it's wifi and putting the duma WAN IP from device manager into the DMZ section (usually found in Security/Firewall settings) is the best option. Then connect all devices to the duma :)

Archived