Netduma Placebo effect?

Kirby9099

I have 100 down 10 up internet ( i get more but set my Netduma to that) connected to a Cisco DPC3010 connected to my Netduma, which has my xbox, pc, Cellphone LTE booster, and a switch connected to my other devices. 

I have my Netduma set to 70% upload and download. Xb1 set to 80% Prioritization. I live in Topeka, KS (literally an hour from Kansas City Home of Google Fiber/ Supposedly Dedicated servers for Black ops 3. My Filter distance is set to 290Miles which covers Kansas city and half of all my surrounding states with a ping assist of 40 ms. 

My Question is, why is my base ping in Black ops 3 around 50-60ms and sometimes shooting upwards of 110+ ms when I SHOULD HAVE A HOST WITHIN THAT DISTANCE? This is literally my first night using it, and I am already considering reselling it as it obviously doesnt work according to everything pointing to my XB1 have top priority over every other device in my house? And even my ping to the host is 39 ms. 

I am already not liking this product and feel like it was a waste of $200+ just like my Netgear nighthawk.

post-8876-0-60310500-1465955242_thumb.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And on average, im getting in worse lobbies than before where my ping to the "host" will jump from 60ish up to 160 and back down to 81 then back up to 145. Either something is setup wrong here, or this thing just plain doesnt work. I was told that dedicated servers for black ops 3 ARE in Kansas City and if i limit my scope small enough, that i should ALWAYS play on a dedicated server. Makes sense to me.

Why are you playing Black Ops 3 which is mostly dependant on dedicated servers and blocking them away? That is exactly what you are doing wrong. I've tried it myself. The experience will indeed be worst. Reason is simple.

1) The reason why your ping and game is worst is because you blocked the servers and play via P2P. P2P in Black Ops 3 is reserved for people with EXTREMELY POOR connections like starbucks or something and therefore, the lag compensation on those games are a lot. That could also be why your latency is higher as those people's connections are just that poor even though they are nearby. You with a better connection will get lag compensated really badly.

2) Solution is to untick Strict Mode to allow you to connect to dedicated servers. But if you want to connect only to the dedicated server that you know gives you the best ping, you must click on home and move your 'home' to the area around that server and still tick Strict Mode. All other dedicated servers will be blocked except for the dedicated server that you choose. Then, you'll get to play consistently on that ping like 13ms perhaps.

On a side note, I'm sorry to say but you came to the Netduma a bit late when COD has finally moved on to Dedicated Servers just like what the community requested for years. Thus you won't be able to hone the Host Filtering features as much unlike during the Black Ops 2 P2P days. Where you can control who gets into your lobby based on either your location or on their ping to you.
Conclusion is, in Black Ops 3, People with good connections are on Dedicated Servers. People with bad connections will play on P2P with other laggy players.

A third option that you might try too is lower the distance significantly to almost 0 and depend strictly on the ping assist at 40ms. It might get you into those games with below 40ms players as you requested and the P2P game will therefore might be better. This is if you really really want to play on P2P on this day and age where most games are on Dedicated Servers. Destiny, Overwatch, Battleborn, Black Ops 3, Battlefield are all on dedicated servers.

And on average, im getting in worse lobbies than before where my ping to the "host" will jump from 60ish up to 160 and back down to 81 then back up to 145. Either something is setup wrong here, or this thing just plain doesnt work. I was told that dedicated servers for black ops 3 ARE in Kansas City and if i limit my scope small enough, that i should ALWAYS play on a dedicated server. Makes sense to me.

Hi Kirby.  Sorry, someone misinformed you of a Kansas City server.   The U.S. Xbox Azure servers are located in Iowa, Virginia, Texas, Illinois, and California.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/

I connected with teamviewer, his router is setup fine... Internet seems to be stable... The problem is in the servers and the broken game as usual. I saw for myself, the netduma ping spike to 120ms while pingplotter was pinging 8.8.8.8 with a flat line.

• Administrators

As above you can see the location of MS servers. 

Are all devices definitely connected to the duma?

Are you basing that ping on the ping shown by the game or the duma? If game what does the duma ping show?

Also put your console in hyper traffic.

I am Mod Box was able to help me to confirm theres really nothing i can do and I pretty much cant benefit from the Netduma. Yet again burned by another $200 router that cant help. Thank you Mod Box for all the help.

I wouldn't give up so quickly,try playing around with your settings on the duma,move your home location to a different server,there are lots of things you can do to improve your gaming.It might not be the best gaming in the world but that the beast of online gaming.

Some servers are better than others you just have to tweak the duma and find out which settings and servers work the best for your home network.

You could move your home to any of the above dedi locations and give em all a try.  If your internet congestion at you home is good and you have a good internet (not speed, but quality/no jitter etc.) then you should be fine.  You have 5 choices of the dedi's and hopefully one or more will play well for you.  The lag comp in this game is pretty good at giving you a good experience with the game.  People complain about it, but lag comp isn't the problem.  People with crappy connections connecting to the servers is the problem.  I play on the European server over 100 ping from my home just as easily as i play on the Microsoft server 15 ping from my home.  But i'm sure some servers are better quality than others at times so you have plenty of options.  I would probably start by turning you geo off first to see which one the game tries to match you with and then start with that one as home since it's probably your region server.  Good luck!

Thats my biggest gripe and Im not sure if its with this product or COD So bare with me. What happens if i throttle my upload speed with percentage slider. say to around 10 percent. Does that help? Then the tutorial said download cap and upload should be the same. According to the test inside Netduma, my ping is Good, jitter and whatever the second one is are EXCEPTIONAL. 

I put a 912mil radius around my house with a 40ms ping assist and 3/4 of my lobby has 3 or less bars multiples even having 1 bar and i can clearly see everyone else skipping around. That seems to me that netduma just effects your connection to host simply by distance?

Throttling is only placebo.  Some people swear it works but it's been tested and does nothing.  By just putting an area around your house it looks like your just getting player hosted lobbies which aren't great in this game.  I tried the same when the game first came out and player lobbies were much worse than dedi's.  You're best bet is to try to get onto a dedi and see how they perform for you.

Thats exactly what it seems like. Its like why is my Netduma blocking all the ded servers??? :-(   Okay I will do that and try again. My best bet would probably be in Illinois or Texas because in driving terms they are only 7-8 hours away.

The netduma is blocking the servers because none are located where you have the geo filter set.  It's actually supposed to work that way to give you control of where you play.  No host will be allowed into that radius unless you have ping assist on; which is another option.  You could set the ping assist to 40-50 (just a guess since you live further from the dedi's) and see what that gives you.

What im thinking is that for some crazy reason, my Netduma just doesnt work. Because ive played bo3 games with sometimes 16-25 ms ping. My normaly in game is around 35-50. Why am i all of a sudden playing matches of averaging 80ms ping with all these settings configured. 644mile radius (which is here: https://postimg.org/image/coya9wojr/ ) , 40 ms ping assist, 80% upload and download prioritization, and getting on average WORSE games from previously with no Netduma. :-O Netgear Nighthawk IS better than Netduma? Oh no... :-(

What im thinking is that for some crazy reason, my Netduma just doesnt work. Because ive played bo3 games with sometimes 16-25 ms ping. My normaly in game is around 35-50. Why am i all of a sudden playing matches of averaging 80ms ping with all these settings configured. 644mile radius (which is here: https://postimg.org/image/coya9wojr/ ) , 40 ms ping assist, 80% upload and download prioritization, and getting on average WORSE games from previously with no Netduma. :-O Netgear Nighthawk IS better than Netduma? Oh no... :-(

FBE3W7u.png

You can place your location over the Illinois server with a range of 50-100 miles, and set ping assist to zero. This only allows a server in the 50-100 mile range circle you placed. If you have ping assist to 40 it will pick any server regardless of location as long as it pings at 40 or below. Play around with different locations with ping assist at zero and see if it plays better.

If I was you I would set up over Illinois and set PA to zero and have strict mode ticked.

I have my GF set to 200 miles as I live 80 miles from the actual dedi bank in Illinois but I can catch the overflow server in southern Illinois with these settings.

You need to play around with your settings as I said before as everyones set up is different.Find the dedis that play the best for you and thesis may not be the closest ones to your home.

Yes im currently in the middle of testing now. Its nice to get suggestions while im working on suggestions. I have my home set in the middle of Illinois with a 400km distance which covers the whole state of Illinois and further out. Played a good game during lunch today.

1. Another question. Does where my home is set effect my xbox at all with downloading games, updates, patches? Ive noticed my download speed on my xbox has been cut in half. normally i download (in xbox games and apps %) around 50Mb/s. Now im downloading at around half that.

2. Also (sorry im getting used to this Netduma) when i trace route to the host when im playing Black ops 3, why does it always go back to Seattle (Where Headquarters is located) then to the host? Should i either go straight to the host or straight to ded server?

I have 100 down 10 up internet ( i get more but set my Netduma to that) connected to a Cisco DPC3010 connected to my Netduma, which has my xbox, pc, Cellphone LTE booster, and a switch connected to my other devices. 

I have my Netduma set to 70% upload and download. Xb1 set to 80% Prioritization. I live in Topeka, KS (literally an hour from Kansas City Home of Google Fiber/ Supposedly Dedicated servers for Black ops 3. My Filter distance is set to 290Miles which covers Kansas city and half of all my surrounding states with a ping assist of 40 ms. 

My Question is, why is my base ping in Black ops 3 around 50-60ms and sometimes shooting upwards of 110+ ms when I SHOULD HAVE A HOST WITHIN THAT DISTANCE? This is literally my first night using it, and I am already considering reselling it as it obviously doesnt work according to everything pointing to my XB1 have top priority over every other device in my house? And even my ping to the host is 39 ms. 

I am already not liking this product and feel like it was a waste of $200+ just like my Netgear nighthawk.

I am having similar issues. I set my PS4 to priority and it got worse. I have done everything the tutorials have suggested as well. I even have a device on there I never added that it won't let me take off. I am not wanting to give up on it yet, but there really needs to be phone support for what this thing cost. The interface allows for alot, but it doesn't mean much when I am not well versed in networking and the tutorials are very vague and even contradicting in some cases.

Hey dude since our speeds are similar I thought I would chime in. first if your download slider is anything but 100% then yes you will see adifference in speed (which means nothing in this game) on the xboner. Now I live near Philly and play on xbone. I used to get the supposed kansas server alot until (uhg been awhile so gotta look) I un ticked enable auto cloud and bleeding something hit apply settings then reticked and hit apply settings. This got rid of the "kansas" server! I think it was some misplaced shit honestly. My download normally 180 I have at 60% and up which is normally 12 at 90%. Flower thing a ma gig I don't Fing touch. equal distribute . No one is usually up when I'm gaming so if nothing else is really using internet when you game then leave alone.I also found that the Texas server which had a steady (thats important) a steady 60ms ping played best for me. Also Playing with jethro and or other with good internet also helped. Were my games perfect every time? No Did I become some cod god? no. Do I enjoy the shit out of playing yes, when I get the chance anymore. This worked for me. It may or may not work for you. hopefully some or all of this helps you. I also bugged the crap out of my ISP's CEO till my line was stable (zennon master put me up to that). If you got questions just ask. I am sure with some tinkering you can make it a bit better if not much much better.

• Administrators

Yes im currently in the middle of testing now. Its nice to get suggestions while im working on suggestions. I have my home set in the middle of Illinois with a 400km distance which covers the whole state of Illinois and further out. Played a good game during lunch today.

1. Another question. Does where my home is set effect my xbox at all with downloading games, updates, patches? Ive noticed my download speed on my xbox has been cut in half. normally i download (in xbox games and apps %) around 50Mb/s. Now im downloading at around half that.

2. Also (sorry im getting used to this Netduma) when i trace route to the host when im playing Black ops 3, why does it always go back to Seattle (Where Headquarters is located) then to the host? Should i either go straight to the host or straight to ded server?

If you have anti-flood less the 100% speeds will be slower yes, in order to ensure congestion doesn't cause other people lag/buffering.

Don't pay attention to trace route. Focus on the ping.

I am having similar issues. I set my PS4 to priority and it got worse. I have done everything the tutorials have suggested as well. I even have a device on there I never added that it won't let me take off. I am not wanting to give up on it yet, but there really needs to be phone support for what this thing cost. The interface allows for alot, but it doesn't mean much when I am not well versed in networking and the tutorials are very vague and even contradicting in some cases.

Go to device manager, click edit and delete it. If it won't let you delete then reboot from miscellaneous settings. Then go back and delete it. 

100% anti-flood, reset device prio, assuming you have all the other settings correct you'll have full speeds. 

What tutorials have you seen that contradict each other?

I've learned that as long as ping is consistent (<50ms) COD can play fine, the issues arise when there is line deviation/jitter fluctuating and making matters worse.

You're not going to get 0ms jitter to Vultr or Choppa LLC servers, though Vultr offer the better servers on PS4, Azure on the XB1 is no different as far as jitter is concerned, they aren't perfect but my experience is that the Azure dedi's are better than the Vultr servers and if you know which are which cling to Vultr if on PS4 and Azure on XB1.

Archived