Networking, Lag Compensation, and Hit Detection

iAmMoDBoX

Bufferbloat only affects you when you connection is maxed out I think

Yes this is true to many people are hung up on this, it has steam rolled into another beast.

Great to combat local congestion it is a must but not a hang up, find the best CC then relax and play never having to fanny around ever again.

Iain said 70% each way I thought lets test this set to reactive and banged ping plotter on while I ran speed test after speed test lowering the sliders and watching my ping and what do you know the developer was right ;)

what do you know the developer was right ;)

Who'd have thunk it, lol.

I actually don't find 70/70 is my optimal but I'm not going to post what I use because I don't want people to blame me when it doesn't 'fix this broken game + lag comp' ;)

I got bitten by a brown recluse (spider) a few years back, it sucked ;)

But seriously, I did get bitten by one of those little bastards.

Been trying your setup today Legit, (97/97+hyperlane 3074).

Your 97% gives me A+/A+ as I expected but other than that no dice unfortunately.

Don't think anything can help with the 200ms+ players that frequent the European dedis (remember on X1 there's no local dedis - they're all in one place).

They're hard to see because their lag is so erratic and so they're hard to hit at all. They just kind of skip towards you and freeze and then they're in a completely different place and you're dead.

Then when one of them is on your team and near you, you get sucked into the black hole of internet poverty that surrounds them.

I don't have a problem with actual hit detection anyway though so I wasn't really expecting a miracle.

Really need localised game searches or a stricter ping-cap on games. Anyone under 400ms just doesn't work (although I saw 1800ms the other day on peer-ping). The fact that it's been getting steadily worse makes me think the player pool is drying up and that to get lobbies filled fast it just chucks anyone in.

The game plays nice when everyone in a lobby has a decent ping to the server but that's just getting rarer day by day now.

I'm hoping that when dedi support drops then the P2P will have a chance.

Hell, MW3 played near perfectly for 4 years! There doesn't seem to be many people in the pool on the Xbox for that now though.

I'd be interested to see your peer-ping graph over the course of a game, see how it compares to what I see.

Obviously we're a long way apart and on different systems but it'd be interesting to see as your games seem to play so differently from the majority of mine.

I've had a few games out of about four hours of gaming that didn't have at least a couple of really laggy players.

I'm noticing most people do not enable jitter (jttr) measurement with Ping Plotter.

I do have the older version of PP but it never nags me to pay so I left it at 4.01.2 lol

Don't think anything can help with the 200ms+ players that frequent the European dedis (remember on X1 there's no local dedis - they're all in one place).

I don't get 200+ms players often but 140-160ms is common. I get people from Singapore joining my dedicated server in Victoria (via Peer Ping). LMAO

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but my local Victorian server (XB1) is an Azure server, located roughly 23km's from me. PS4 doesn't offer access to any Azure servers, only Choopa LLC and Vultr (they're much better than Choopa) and those are in a neighboring state (New South Wales) for me on PS4.

AwPBa0p.png

I'd share the IP to confirm furthermore but Iain has asked me in the past not to publicly share IP's of dedi's, just to clarify my Duma does not show IP's (just ID's like everybody else), no special privileges here.

Or did you mean there is only one Azure virtual server for all Europeans?

qgYevVV.png

I apologize for the lengthy post and you may be thinking why I'm mentioning dedi locations that are of no benefit to you, the honest truth is I did all that for other Aussies who read the thread as we have a small Duma brotherhood in AU. :)

I would say this is playing a major part along with skill :)

You don't have to be nice, we all know the low ping and low jitter is the entire reason. lol :)

On PS4 I'm still looking for a Vultr server in Australia but I've settled for an Adelaide Choopa dedi that pings at 22-28ms with about 4ms jitter :| The game play video on my YT channel from the PS4 is from that dedi.

I'd love a Vultr dedi in Victoria (for PS4) but I'm not seeing one, at least not yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying your setup today Legit, (97/97+hyperlane 3074).

Your 97% gives me A+/A+ as I expected but other than that no dice unfortunately.

They're hard to see because their lag is so erratic and so they're hard to hit at all. They just kind of skip towards you and freeze and then they're in a completely different place and you're dead.

Then when one of them is on your team and near you, you get sucked into the black hole of internet poverty that surrounds them.

I don't have a problem with actual hit detection anyway though so I wasn't really expecting a miracle.

Really need localised game searches or a stricter ping-cap on games. Anyone under 400ms just doesn't work (although I saw 1800ms the other day on peer-ping). The fact that it's been getting steadily worse makes me think the player pool is drying up and that to get lobbies filled fast it just chucks anyone in.

The game plays nice when everyone in a lobby has a decent ping to the server but that's just getting rarer day by day now.

I'm hoping that when dedi support drops then the P2P will have a chance.

Hell, MW3 played near perfectly for 4 years! There doesn't seem to be many people in the pool on the Xbox for that now though.

when you hyperlane 3074 do you do tcp and udp?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I decided to play cod ghosts since bo3 was unplayable last nite after the update. I am now convinced that the issues I and many others have been facing in bo3 are not due to our connections. The hit detection was literally flawless. My hit detection on ghosts rivalled the anomaly seen in A7 Legits videos of his hit detection on bo3. For a game with 1000 players online, one would think the connection would be less than ideal at best, yet it was quite the opposite. It was a very pleasant experience being able to play the game without complaining about all the bs that occurs in bo3. Can anyone explain why this is the case?

IMO the coding was better on Ghosts > better hit detection and a faster time to kill also helped a ton.Again this is just my opinion as others will disagree and hated the game,so it's really all subjective.

But I loved Ghosts compared to AW and BO3 and will probably go back and play it again as BO3 has been a pain in the ass lately and not much fun for me anyway.

Ok so I decided to play cod ghosts since bo3 was unplayable last nite after the update. I am now convinced that the issues I and many others have been facing in bo3 are not due to our connections. The hit detection was literally flawless. My hit detection on ghosts rivalled the anomaly seen in A7 Legits videos of his hit detection on bo3. For a game with 1000 players online, one would think the connection would be less than ideal at best, yet it was quite the opposite. It was a very pleasant experience being able to play the game without complaining about all the bs that occurs in bo3. Can anyone explain why this is the case?

At the end of the day it comes down to, is the lag on your side or not? This is the randomness they want in the game to give everyone a fair chance at getting some kills. When you're having a shitty game and getting melted and shot around corners, Timmy no thumbs is having the game of his life.

At the end of the day it comes down to, is the lag on your side or not? This is the randomness they want in the game to give everyone a fair chance at getting some kills. When you're having a shitty game and getting melted and shot around corners, Timmy no thumbs is having the game of his life.

I prefer consistence of less jitter to the randomness of the lag compensation NetCode in COD.

Duma takes care of servers for me, so jitter is around 1-2ms on my local dedicated server (most of the time), that results in great games 90% of the time, definition of great can be valued differently by different people of course but I'm more than content (and I do not throttle).

IMO the coding was better on Ghosts > better hit detection and a faster time to kill also helped a ton.Again this is just my opinion as others will disagree and hated the game,so it's really all subjective.

Some COD Ghosts earlier (my test account), almost all the other team were camping, the score is meh (25k/d round though), but still a lot of fun to have the Duma make Ghosts even better here.

https://twitter.com/a7legit/status/766460968549298176

I prefer consistence of less jitter to the randomness of the lag compensation NetCode in COD.

Duma takes care of servers for me, so jitter is around 1-2ms on my local dedicated server (most of the time), that results in great games 90% of the time, definition of great can be valued differently by different people of course but I'm more than content (and I do not throttle).

Some COD Ghosts earlier, almost all the other team were camping, the score is meh (25k/d round though), but still a lot of fun to have the Duma make Ghosts even better here.

https://twitter.com/a7legit/status/766460968549298176

To be fair, you live on a fiber line that is basically directly plugged into the server lol

To be fair, you live on a fiber line that is basically directly plugged into the server lol

I'm on HFC Cable, but the Azure dedicated server on XB1 is about 26km's from me (give or take).

...but I plan to move and get Fiber to the home if all goes well and HFC Cable (same type of service) as a secondary for "other" uses lol :)

I'm on HFC Cable, but the Azure dedicated server on XB1 is about 26km's from me (give or take).

...but I plan to move and get Fiber to the home if all goes well and HFC Cable (same type of service) as a secondary for "other" uses lol :)

You know what I meant lol

Just remember, they're STILL camping in it. LoL

Actually played 3 games last night at about 1:00 AM my time and there was 2800 people on so I had to play TDM (hate that fucking game mode) but went 23-4,26-7 and 25-9 and it actually ran pretty smooth.

But like you said it was a campiest of people ADS at a doorway while laying down and people pitching tents in buildings but still had a good time playing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just remember, they're STILL camping in it. LoL

Theyre definitely still camping in it lol. I've been playing Cod 2 here and there and theyre still camping it up on there as well. Thats just cod though. I surely hope the duma team has some sort of tool in the upcoming update (which looks beautiful btw) to address the insane lag comp we face in BO3, and soon enough IW/COD4 Remastered. I was in a match yesterday after taking a hiatus for a few weeks. First match on our host, everything fine. Second match on their host? It was like these kids called up a COD dream team of scump formal john and slasher to play for them lmao. Like its insane how inconsistent it is, and just how much connection plays into it. Also, @A7Legit I think a large part of your nonissue with the connection in game is the fact that you play pub matches on dedis that are very close to you as you pointed out. When I play pubs I may see lag here and there, but nothing compared to the onslaught of said lag in GB custom games. It's not just me that echoes this sentiment, nor is it just my team. It's everyone that I've ever played with, played against, scrimmed, etc. The mindblowing thing though, too, is that this sort of thing sometimes happens in reverse, where we host and get decimated and they host and get decimated. None of it makes any sense, all of it is infuriating. All we want is fairness. Is that really so much to ask?

Archived