Can I do this...monitor with Home Theater

Fazor

Hey Guys, just checking before I purchase.  Currently I have a Home Theater with 9.1 surround sound and a 46" plasma TV that I play my COD on with my Xbox One.   The TV is fine for movies and hulu and television, but with all the hype about the BenQ monitors and COD, I'm thinking about getting one.  I'm hoping that I'll see a difference with input lag and response time improvements.  I couldn't find the input delay stats with my TV, if anyone can them that's much appreciated.  The model # is   Panasonic TC-P46S1

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting the 27" BenQ RL2755HM monitor and adding it to my system only for when I play my Xbox...which is really just CODs. 

So my question is...will it work with getting the video from the Xbox and then keep the sound through my home theater speakers?  I'd also be sitting on my couch(same spot as when I watch movies), but then have the monitor put on the coffee table in front of me.  So I'd be in the sweet spot for the sound. 

And no, I don't want to just buy a headset.  I'd like to use my home theater speakers. 

I know I'll need to buy a longer HDMI cable for this.  But since I also want to be able to watch Hulu and Netflix off the Xbox, I'd like to use the TV sometimes too.  So I was gonna get a HDMI switch to choose between Monitor and TV...something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B46XUQU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B46XUQU&linkCode=as2&tag=craigandchris-20

Does this sound like it should work?  Any issues that you see?  

Thanks. 

You can check the display lag for most products using the below.  While your specific model is not listed, the Panasonic Plasma TVs have about a 30mS display lag.  The RL2755HM has a 10mS display lag.  There is also a display lag from the home theater system that will add to your TV's display lag.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

For the best gaming performance, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Benq monitor plugged directly into the console.  

You will always get the best quality sound along with better positional clues from a good quality headset.  I used to play a similar setup (55" Sony Bravia and home theater system).   I then changed to a great headset and Benq monitor.   I will NEVER play on a home theater system again or slow TV.

Wow, so just a 20mS display lag difference between the monitor and my tv....would that even be noticeable? 

Also, any way to tell if my Onkyo Receiver is causing lag then? 

I don't think 20ms will register to your eye (it might though) but it certainly all adds up and a lot of people rave about these BenQ monitors...

There's a distinct advantage with a decent set of headphones too, I haven't played a single game online without my headphones since I got them because the difference was so great (optical cable up the xbox's bum ftw).

Yeah, in a ideal world I would use a headset, but I'm not able to since I need to hear my surroundings in my home.  So a headset isn't gonna happen. 

So do you guys think me getting that monitor would even help much? 

RL2460HT + Astro A40s with MixAmp gen 2 = The best gaming experience you can get on a console. Puts any home theater system and tv to shame.

Convinced my friend to get one and his SPM went up 30 points in 2 months of playing with the benq.

As for using the monitor and still using the home theater just run an optical cable from the xbox to the home theater. If you use a hdmi switch it will introduce lag as well as if you run xbox>home theater>monitor... You want to go xbox directly to the monitor and run the sound through the optical out on the xbox.

Then once you get the benq... Go get a PS4 so you can enjoy 1080P games too ;)

Short answer - yes, you can pipe your audio through the home theatre and video to the monitor.

There's a few easy ways to do it -

1. use TOSlink connection from console to receiver. HDMI to monitor. Select Optical as the audio output on console. Done.
2. connect the console via HDMI in to the receiver, then HDMI out to the monitor. Done. Could cause display lag, but unlikely if your receiver does HDMI pass-through.
3. console to HDMI splitter. One HDMI output goes to receiver, the other to the monitor. Again, this introduces the potential for display lag, but it should be miniscule.

Personally, I have 4 consoles outputting video to a 4x2 HDMI matrix. One output goes to a Bravia KDL32W705B HDTV on my desktop and the other to an Elgato Game Capture HD connected to my Mac. The KDL32W705B model has one of the lowest independently measured HDTV display lag values at 14ms, which is less than a frame at 60FPS. I wouldn't necessarily use it for PC gaming, but it's perfectly fine for competitive console gaming. 

I highly recommend seeking the true display lag value for any screen by finding the Leo Bodnar Lag Tester results rather than the spin-doctored values hardware manufacturers advertise. Using those same dodgy tests, the KDL32W705B comes in at something like 8ms, which is within a bee's dick of high-end gaming monitors. Again, don't trust manufacturer numbers, find the Lag Tester results instead. Displaylag.com uses Lag Tester so their numbers are trustworthy, but you may not find your model in their database.

I'm not trying to start a shit-fight with monitor users - for minimal display lag, they can't be beaten. But they don't beat out a high-end HDTV by much if you want the extra screen real estate. We can get low display lag and full RBG colour on a HDTV, if we're willing to pay for it, and some of the newer big-screen HDTVs have only 15-20ms of lag. Just be sure to turn off all forms of image enhancement and/or enable gaming mode to minimise HDTV display lag. 

I love my 32" screen for desktop gaming, that extra 5" makes a huge difference (that's what she said...) for my ageing eyes. I sit about 75cm to 1m back from the screen and it's a great viewpoint for gaming on a screen that size. 40" on a desktop would be ludicrous, but 32" hits a sweet spot for me between speed and size. The KDL32W705B makes for a far better gaming monitor than TV at that distance (the pixelation and smudging in the TV broadcast signal is visible), but watching digital movies is also a tidy experience on a good quality rip. 

RL2460HT + Astro A40s with MixAmp gen 2 = The best gaming experience you can get on a console. Puts any home theater system and tv to shame.

Astro is the best of a bad bunch when it comes to gaming-grade audio, but it's shit-house compared to audiophile-grade gear.

I have three MixAmps - the original 2011 model, 5.8 wireless and the A50 wireless headset, along with A30 and A40 headsets. None of them come anywhere near close to a SoundBlaster X7 paired with Fidelio X2 (my weapon of choice), or audiophile-grade Sennheiser, AT or AKG cans. Take a look at MadLustEnvy's Headphone Gaming Guide at head-fi.org, it's probably the best online resource for gaming headphone / headset comparisons with thousands of pages of responses.

I pipe audio from PS3, PS4, 360 and XB1 into a 4x2 TOSlink matrix. Audio is then output to the 2011 MixAmp and the SoundBlaster X7, so it's very easy to make a comparison via the X7's Mixer. Positional cues on the MixAmp are ok, but overall soundscape is like you're gaming underwater compared to the depth and breadth of the X7, even while wearing the X2s, which make A40s sound like tinkertoys by comparison. If you own an X7, be sure to set the Cinematic (Dolby Digital) settings to Night mode to pull distant sounds closer to your ears for improved positional cues.

Stacking the X7 (Optical from the consoles) and the MixAmp (optical in from consoles, then out via 3.5mm to RCA Line-in on X7) together makes for an even more impressive soundscape and doubles up positional cues. There's a tiny, almost undetectable delay from the MixAmp compared to Optical when both are output at the same time through the X7, which works fine in online shooters for enhanced positional cues, but it's slightly distracting for cutscene dialogue and makes it sound a touch robotic and artificial, which seems to originate from the MixAmp's Dolby Headphones processing rather than an echo. But for cues and background soundscape, it's great. I frequently fire up the PS4 just to listen to the audio in the Firewatch dynamic theme to hear the wind rustling in the trees, which moves slowly from right to left through the full 5.1 range, while birds chirp away in either ear - I can definitely hear it more clearly with the MixAmp + X7 stacked than either on it's own.

The X7 is a very impressive bit of audio kit. In addition to the MixAmp and console inputs, I have my iMac connected by USB (also supports 5.1), PS4 chat audio connected by Bluetooth (via BT-W2 adapter & V-Moda BoomPro mic) and iPhone connected by a second USB slot on the side, which also charges the device, or via Bluetooth. All of them can be used concurrently and mixed using the X7 PC/Mac app. As well as outputting to X2 cans, I have the X7 piping to Logitech X5500 5.1 speakers via 6 channel direct (analog 5.1), which peels the paint off the walls and sounds somewhere between superawesome and awesomesauce.

The X7 totally blows the MixAmp, DSS, home theatre receivers and AMP/DAC stacks like Schiit Magni / Modi out of the water for headphone gaming, both for audio quality and for versatility. If you care enough about your gaming to invest in low latency gaming monitors and lag-busting routers, you should invest in a high-end gaming audio setup to complete the package for positional audio cues. Sorry ladies, it's not a MixAmp, that's entry-level stuff. The X7 does require a bit of tweaking to get right (like setting Cinematic to Night mode) and should be paired with audiophile-grade cans (refer to the head-fi.org thread for more info), but once it's dialled in, it's quite simply without peer.

By the way, there's little to no difference between 7.1 and 5.1 for headphone gaming. I spent a great deal of time vetting the X7 because I was concerned about it being 5.1 compared to the MixAmp's 7.1. The thing to keep in mind is almost all headphones are stereo (true 5.1 / 7.1 cans sound like crap due to their tiny speaker arrays), whereas the surround sound is virtual. Virtual 5.1 and 7.1 are pretty much indistinguishable while wearing stereo headphones - the extra 2 channels are directly left and right, which is the native position for stereo audio. So don't buy into the 7.1 VSS hype, it's marketese to flog sub-standard gaming audio gear at inflated prices.

The X7 will output true 5.1 to speakers and consoles are capable of outputting true 7.1 to home theatre setups. So either HDMI or Optical straight to the OP's receiver should sound pretty impressive. I prefer headphone gaming myself as cues are easier to pick up, but I'll bang audio through the Z5500 speakers whenever the family aren't home because it sounds so good.

That an interesting idea Major...I might have to look into that.

Short answer - yes, you can pipe your audio through the home theatre and video to the monitor.

There's a few easy ways to do it -

1. use TOSlink connection from console to receiver. HDMI to monitor. Select Optical as the audio output on console. Done.

2. connect the console via HDMI in to the receiver, then HDMI out to the monitor. Done. Could cause display lag, but unlikely if your receiver does HDMI pass-through.

3. console to HDMI splitter. One HDMI output goes to receiver, the other to the monitor. Again, this introduces the potential for display lag, but it should be miniscule.

Personally, I have 4 consoles outputting video to a 4x2 HDMI matrix. One output goes to a Bravia KDL32W705B HDTV on my desktop and the other to an Elgato Game Capture HD connected to my Mac. The KDL32W705B model has one of the lowest independently measured HDTV display lag values at 14ms, which is less than a frame at 60FPS. I wouldn't necessarily use it for PC gaming, but it's perfectly fine for competitive console gaming. 

I highly recommend seeking the true display lag value for any screen by finding the Leo Bodnar Lag Tester results rather than the spin-doctored values hardware manufacturers advertise. Using those same dodgy tests, the KDL32W705B comes in at something like 8ms, which is within a bee's dick of high-end gaming monitors. Again, don't trust manufacturer numbers, find the Lag Tester results instead. Displaylag.com uses Lag Tester so their numbers are trustworthy, but you may not find your model in their database.

I'm not trying to start a shit-fight with monitor users - for minimal display lag, they can't be beaten. But they don't beat out a high-end HDTV by much if you want the extra screen real estate. We can get low display lag and full RBG colour on a HDTV, if we're willing to pay for it, and some of the newer big-screen HDTVs have only 15-20ms of lag. Just be sure to turn off all forms of image enhancement and/or enable gaming mode to minimise HDTV display lag. 

I love my 32" screen for desktop gaming, that extra 5" makes a huge difference (that's what she said...) for my ageing eyes. I sit about 75cm to 1m back from the screen and it's a great viewpoint for gaming on a screen that size. 40" on a desktop would be ludicrous, but 32" hits a sweet spot for me between speed and size. The KDL32W705B makes for a far better gaming monitor than TV at that distance (the pixelation and smudging in the TV broadcast signal is visible), but watching digital movies is also a tidy experience on a good quality rip. 

Astro is the best of a bad bunch when it comes to gaming-grade audio, but it's shit-house compared to audiophile-grade gear.

I have three MixAmps - the original 2011 model, 5.8 wireless and the A50 wireless headset, along with A30 and A40 headsets. None of them come anywhere near close to a SoundBlaster X7 paired with Fidelio X2 (my weapon of choice), or audiophile-grade Sennheiser, AT or AKG cans. Take a look at MadLustEnvy's Headphone Gaming Guide at head-fi.org, it's probably the best online resource for gaming headphone / headset comparisons with thousands of pages of responses.

I pipe audio from PS3, PS4, 360 and XB1 into a 4x2 TOSlink matrix. Audio is then output to the 2011 MixAmp and the SoundBlaster X7, so it's very easy to make a comparison via the X7's Mixer. Positional cues on the MixAmp are ok, but overall soundscape is like you're gaming underwater compared to the depth and breadth of the X7, even while wearing the X2s, which make A40s sound like tinkertoys by comparison. If you own an X7, be sure to set the Cinematic (Dolby Digital) settings to Night mode to pull distant sounds closer to your ears for improved positional cues.

Stacking the X7 (Optical from the consoles) and the MixAmp (optical in from consoles, then out via 3.5mm to RCA Line-in on X7) together makes for an even more impressive soundscape and doubles up positional cues. There's a tiny, almost undetectable delay from the MixAmp compared to Optical when both are output at the same time through the X7, which works fine in online shooters for enhanced positional cues, but it's slightly distracting for cutscene dialogue and makes it sound a touch robotic and artificial, which seems to originate from the MixAmp's Dolby Headphones processing rather than an echo. But for cues and background soundscape, it's great. I frequently fire up the PS4 just to listen to the audio in the Firewatch dynamic theme to hear the wind rustling in the trees, which moves slowly from right to left through the full 5.1 range, while birds chirp away in either ear - I can definitely hear it more clearly with the MixAmp + X7 stacked than either on it's own.

The X7 is a very impressive bit of audio kit. In addition to the MixAmp and console inputs, I have my iMac connected by USB (also supports 5.1), PS4 chat audio connected by Bluetooth (via BT-W2 adapter & V-Moda BoomPro mic) and iPhone connected by a second USB slot on the side, which also charges the device, or via Bluetooth. All of them can be used concurrently and mixed using the X7 PC/Mac app. As well as outputting to X2 cans, I have the X7 piping to Logitech X5500 5.1 speakers via 6 channel direct (analog 5.1), which peels the paint off the walls and sounds somewhere between superawesome and awesomesauce.

The X7 totally blows the MixAmp, DSS, home theatre receivers and AMP/DAC stacks like Schiit Magni / Modi out of the water for headphone gaming, both for audio quality and for versatility. If you care enough about your gaming to invest in low latency gaming monitors and lag-busting routers, you should invest in a high-end gaming audio setup to complete the package for positional audio cues. Sorry ladies, it's not a MixAmp, that's entry-level stuff. The X7 does require a bit of tweaking to get right (like setting Cinematic to Night mode) and should be paired with audiophile-grade cans (refer to the head-fi.org thread for more info), but once it's dialled in, it's quite simply without peer.

By the way, there's little to no difference between 7.1 and 5.1 for headphone gaming. I spent a great deal of time vetting the X7 because I was concerned about it being 5.1 compared to the MixAmp's 7.1. The thing to keep in mind is almost all headphones are stereo (true 5.1 / 7.1 cans sound like crap due to their tiny speaker arrays), whereas the surround sound is virtual. Virtual 5.1 and 7.1 are pretty much indistinguishable while wearing stereo headphones - the extra 2 channels are directly left and right, which is the native position for stereo audio. So don't buy into the 7.1 VSS hype, it's marketese to flog sub-standard gaming audio gear at inflated prices.

The X7 will output true 5.1 to speakers and consoles are capable of outputting true 7.1 to home theatre setups. So either HDMI or Optical straight to the OP's receiver should sound pretty impressive. I prefer headphone gaming myself as cues are easier to pick up, but I'll bang audio through the Z5500 speakers whenever the family aren't home because it sounds so good.

Fazor,  I agree with almost everything Antithesis says except the X7 is shiite if you need XBOX Chat.  There are some issues with game chat and the XB because the XB doesn't have Bluetooth which would allow it to connect to the X7 flawlessly.  I am using an X7 and open back headphones and the sound is fantastic, but for me the XB game chat aspect is a huge negative.

If anyone reading this can explain how they use their X7 and XB together for game chat, I'd welcome the lesson. I found a way to do it using my mixamp but during the games, it's about next to impossible to hear the party chat over the explosions and other game sounds.  The party can hear me though.

Fazor,  I agree with almost everything Antithesis says except the X7 is shiite if you need XBOX Chat.  There are some issues with game chat and the XB because the XB doesn't have Bluetooth which would allow it to connect to the X7 flawlessly.  I am using an X7 and open back headphones and the sound is fantastic, but for me the XB game chat aspect is a huge negative.

If anyone reading this can explain how they use their X7 and XB together for game chat, I'd welcome the lesson. I found a way to do it using my mixamp but during the games, it's about next to impossible to hear the party chat over the explosions and other game sounds.  The party can hear me though.

I am firmly with Major on this one as we both are struggling.  The X7 and a quality set of headphones BLEW AWAY my Astros.  Hands down.  But the XB1 chant is no bueno. 

Major - I got in the piece I need and I will be off the next (5) days playing Nurse JD to the Mrs post surgery.  I fully intend to take a hard run at the X7 + Xbox 1 game chat issue this weekend.  If I get it, you will be my first message!  

To the OP:  The BENQ was one of the best purchases I personally made when I first started this Odyssey.  While 20ms doesn't seem like a lot, you will be surprised how many more gunfights you will win after a week of 20ms faster engagements.

Fazor, you could try open backed headphones.  They rock, you get immersive surround sound and you can still hear what's going on in your house...  well most of what's going on in your house. 

I use Astro A40's they don't block sound (unless you turn them up loud enough to split your skull), I can still hear people around the house IF i want to.

Bear in mind that they can also hear your bullets and whatnot in game though.

+1000 on the Creative X7 and great headset.  Creative has a bluetooth dongle for the PS4, so party chat was not an issue.  I have tried various headsets over the years (Astro, TB, etc.)   I did a bunch of research and got advice from others on this forum.   I bought a Sennheiser Game One because I liked the sound quality and integrated mic.   With an open headset, I can still hear the sounds in the room as well.

I originally tried the headset with the Astro Mixamp Pro TR.   Both were great with the headset, but there was definitely a difference between the Mixamp and X7, 

I do not have a Xbox, but here is a link where they have a work around to get chat to work with x7.

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=38709.0

Yeah, the Major and I have tried that link to Xim forums and no joy.  We are experimenting, but Creative can suck an ENTIRE bag of dicks with their customer "service".  They suck in that department, but I do love the sound the unit provides.

Thanks for the good info guys. Question about the optical cable...is using that primarily to avoid the need of HDMI splitter? Or does the optical cable have less lag than a HDMI or something?

If I go the splitter route...I was thinking it would connect to the back of the receiver, then split to the tv and monitor. Is that the right spot? I'm a little confused where the splitter goes in the chain of order. Right now I have a HDMI going from Xbox to receiver and another HDMI going from TV to receiver. So no cable is connecting the TV to the Xbox. Hope that's correct...must be cause it works.

I might do the optical cable though.

Fazor,

My set up is HDMI from Xbox to TV,  Optical from Xbox to an optical switch to X7 DAC. I also have an optical cable from the optical switch to my receiver and TV.

I don't think you need to go optical for performance sake. The lag thing will not be an issue.  If you're planning on using your receiver for game sound instead of a mixamp or the X7 (which we are all in a love hate relationship with) I would just keep your current set up and get some nice open back headphones and you'll be styling.  The Xbox's surround sound options through optical cable are not as versatile as what you're getting from your receiver and HDMI cable.  Do you use chat at all?  If so, how are you doing it?

Yup, I play with my brother usually, and we are in a party. I use the headset that came with the Xbox one....so one ear is open and I hear him through the other. And the sound of the game comes through my speakers.

If I do get a splitter...I will get a powered one as I'm told that's better for signal quality.

Well after more research and debating, I think I am going to go with the BenQ and buy a HDMI splitter.  I know this isn't ideal, but I want to avoid the headsets for now.  I may change my mind later. 

My final question, and what I'm unsure about, is how I hook that splitter up.  This is what I chose... http://www.amazon.com/Splitter-SOWTECH-Digital-Support-Outputs/dp/B01CCMOMM0/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464388989&sr=1-10&keywords=HDMI+Splitter

So currently I have my Xbox HDMI cable going to my Receiver, and then another HDMI cable going from my Receiver to my TV.  So if I want to add this BenQ monitor, where do I put this splitter?  I'm guessing it'd go in the spot on back back of the Receiver, then splitting to my TV and BenQ.  That's gotta be correct, but just checking. 

XB1 chat is possible on the X7.

The BoomPro comes with a splitter, which connects the 3.5mm jack from the BoomPro to the Mic and Headphones port on the X7. If you own a ModMic, just jam that thing into the X7 Mic port, no splitter required. The BT-W2 transceiver pipes the Mic to the PS4, but that obviously doesn't work on the XB1.

For XB1 chat, I needed a second Y-cable from the Boom-Pro (or ModMic). The splitter's Mic port to the XB1 controller for chat, which bypasses the X7 altogether, using 3.5mm extension cable from Mic port to XB1 controller. Headphone port from the splitter to a 3.5mm to 2xRCA Line-In on the back of the X7.

I think that's how I set it up. I don't chat on XB1, It's been awhile since I set it up, so my memory's a little rusty.

Major...what would my TV get then?  I want to have both my TV and BenQ work with my XBOX...that's why I want the splitter. 

Plug the console HDMI direct into the receiver, then the splitter from the receiver to HDTV and Monitor.

I had a Yamaha receiver as a very expensive HDMI switch in my setup before moving house recently. It worked fine in this configuration to send the video signal from the receiver through the splitter and on to the 32" Bravia on my desk and a second 52" Bravia for when I gamed from the couch.

XB1 chat is possible on the X7.

The BoomPro comes with a splitter, which connects the 3.5mm jack from the BoomPro to the Mic and Headphones port on the X7. If you own a ModMic, just jam that thing into the X7 Mic port, no splitter required. The BT-W2 transceiver pipes the Mic to the PS4, but that obviously doesn't work on the XB1.

For XB1 chat, I needed a second Y-cable from the Boom-Pro (or ModMic). The splitter's Mic port to the XB1 controller for chat, which bypasses the X7 altogether, using 3.5mm extension cable from Mic port to XB1 controller. Headphone port from the splitter to a 3.5mm to 2xRCA Line-In on the back of the X7.

I think that's how I set it up. I don't chat on XB1, It's been awhile since I set it up, so my memory's a little rusty.

Plug the console HDMI direct into the receiver, then the splitter from the receiver to HDTV and Monitor.

I had a Yamaha receiver as a very expensive HDMI switch in my setup before moving house recently. It worked fine in this configuration to send the video signal from the receiver through the splitter and on to the 32" Bravia on my desk and a second 52" Bravia for when I gamed from the couch.

Sweet,  I'll try this later. thanks.

Archived