Buffering and Latency

About a month ago I was watching a flick on Netflix and all of a sudden it started buffering and the latency went from 42ms to 284ms. I would reboot everything and it would disappear but then after awhile it would come back. Iain looked into it and it could be my Arris Motorola Modem.

So last night it started again and this morning too. I rebooted everything R1, Netgear, Modem and Xbox One. So far it has disappeared.

Any ideas?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To rule out if it is the modem or not i would...

First test...only reboot the modem when it happens

If it carrys on only reboot one of the machines at a time re-testing the line until you find the culprit.

So It happened again and this time I rebooted the modem only first. In about less than 5 minutes it started again. Then I tried the R1 it stayed the same. I did the Netgear and it was still doing it.

Well I can comment on this, and tell you I ran into the same ping issue with the netduma paired with a SB6183 or SB6180. I sent my netduma router to one of my ISP guy's, and he was able to find a issue related to this problem. I don't know exactly the problem right now, but will find out more info in the near future about this issue. I can tell you this problem will keep happening while having the SB6183 working with the netduma.

After a period of time with steady amounts of data being used, the motorola modem starts having an issue. Which pings start getting very high, and the only fix currently is to reboot the modem. However if the netduma router is steadily passing data to, and from the modem. Usually within a 24 hours period this problem will start happening. So the easiest work around right now would probably be. Using your old router as the main router, and connect the netduma to your old router, and only connect your console to the netduma. Because then the netduma will only be passing very small amounts of data to the modem, and this ping issue will most likely not happen much at all, if ever again.

But if I switch routers to Motorola > Netgear > r1 how do you set it up?

Give the netduma router a static IP from the Netgear router, then DMZ the netduma R1 on the netgear router. On the netduma router you can enable the option to "access router via WAN" so you can be connected to the netgear router. But still access the netduma via the IP you have given it. Then just simply have your console/'s only connected to the R1. Also I suggest only using them consoles to play games while connected to the netduma. As I could still see the ping issue happening, if you start streaming netflix, and such threw the console. Because this issue from what I have seen happens mostly when the netduma is passing steady amounts of larger data back to the modem for period's of time.

Yep I disconnected the Duma and just have the modem to the Netgear router and no crashing. I will try to connect the Duma following your guide hopefully tomorrow. Sucks because now I will have to connect the X1 to the Netgear every time I want to watch Netflix.

Yep I disconnected the Duma and just have the modem to the Netgear router and no crashing. I will try to connect the Duma following your guide hopefully tomorrow. Sucks because now I will have to connect the X1 to the Netgear every time I want to watch Netflix.

Well you can try playing netflix on the console, but just be warned. If the ping problem happens, I told you so, and you will just have to work around it. My ISP is Cox, so once I find out exactly the problem from my ISP guy, and if/when it can be fixed. I will try to post a bit more info about this issue. Just know I spent over a month troubleshooting this issue, and just a few weeks ago I finally shipped my netduma router to my isp contact, and he has been working on troubleshooting this issue for me.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

I've skimmed over this thread, and a big thanks to Scott(lilstone) for giving up his Duma.

I can confirm that the contact from Cox has figured out the problem, I'm not sure if he has a solution yet. Its a problem with the modem hopefully they will release a firmware update that fixes it.

Thanks for the patience everyone 

ISP guy here. 

I worked with Motorola and isolated the issue.  It will take a firmware upgrade, but I'm not sure when that will hit the network.

In the meantime I can swap your modem if you can't fix it with router cascading tricks.

PM me you current modem MAC.

Iain/lilstone can speak for my validity.

ISP guy here. 

I worked with Motorola and isolated the issue.  It will take a firmware upgrade, but I'm not sure when that will hit the network.

In the meantime I can swap your modem if you can't fix it with router cascading tricks.

PM me you current modem MAC.

Iain/lilstone can speak for my validity.

Thank you odog. As soon as I get home I will get it for you!

Archived