European Championships 2016

Macca65

The Duma has sold all over the world, so there must be football fans from other European nations that visit the forum.

What chances do you give your teams?

I think England might actually get out of the group stage for once!

But lose to Germany on penalties in the QF :)

And watch out for Spain!

• Administrators

I turn into a giddy schoolgirl whenever the big Internationals tournaments come around. I'm really excited for this tournament, more teams means more football and more diversity. Should be a lot of fun.

I am, as I always am, foolishly optimistic about England's chances. We have a young exciting squad so if Roy can model us around Spurs / Liverpool's pressing style we will at least turn up and be exciting to watch for once. I think we could even reach the semis with a bit of luck.

Hodgson gets a lot of flack but to be fair, I actually think he's done ok so far. He took us to Euro 2014 where we won a tricky group before then going way too defensve against the eventual finalists in the quarters. He then took a young team to a World Cup, where we were never going to do well at, blooded them, in a very tough group, and we were a little unlucky to lose both of our opening games. He has then won every qualifier since, which included some great football, plus friendly wins against the two favourites for the Euros (France & Italy)

My predictions are:

1. England to take 5 / 7 points from the group, enough to win it, then beat Romania in the Round of 16, scrape past Portugal in the 1/4s (Third time lucky) and then get dumped out by Spain in the semis after we go down to 10 man thanks to Dele Alli going in knee high & two footed on Cesc in the first half

2. France to win the whole thing

3. Austria & Northern Ireland to be dark horses

4. Griezmann to be player of the tournament

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Another one looking forward to this would be great to see England go all the way just hope Hodgson picks the players who are in form not relying on the likes of rooney who hasn't really been on top of he's game for England better players to pick at the moment would love to see kane and vardy up front will be a boozy month that's for sure  :D

If my money is on anyone would be germany

Nothing wrong with optimism, or being a "giddy schoolgirl" not for me to judge ;)

I just find all the HYPE with England to much to contend with, especially if we win the toss in the first game, and if we get a throw in and Wayne Rooney takes it well....... The media will go into meltdown.

But seriously, it is a good young squad with some players with great potential, just hope that Woy, sorry Roy ( cheap shot I know) can get them into a good unit and playing to their strengths. But you know as well as I do if he plays WR and wins he will carry on playing him even though his club form has been pants.

The pundits etc always talk about taking players with experience blah blah blah. We have done so in every tournament and done nothing, except go out on penalties, so let's put out the team that rinsed the Germans and see what happens :)

The trouble is with our media is that no matter which team Roy picks he will be slated for, unless of course they win! :)

I want to see Ross Barclay, and Delle Ali ripping teams to bit with Vardy and Kane getting the spoils.

The defence is the suspect unit, and I think he needs to leave Stones out as he makes to many unforced errors for International football,.

So anyway saga over Come on England'!

• Administrators

Another one looking forward to this would be great to see England go all the way just hope Hodgson picks the players who are in form not relying on the likes of rooney who hasn't really been on top of he's game for England better players to pick at the moment would love to see kane and vardy up front will be a boozy month that's for sure  :D

If my money is on anyone would be germany

I think the draw works out with Germany playing France in the semi. That will be the effective final I think. 

I'd love to see Vardy start, but equally he's a great impact sub to bring on against tiring legs. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he starts off as a sub and then pushes his way into the starting XI as the tournament goes on.

Nothing wrong with optimism, or being a "giddy schoolgirl" not for me to judge ;)

I just find all the HYPE with England to much to contend with, especially if we win the toss in the first game, and if we get a throw in and Wayne Rooney takes it well....... The media will go into meltdown.

But seriously, it is a good young squad with some players with great potential, just hope that Woy, sorry Roy ( cheap shot I know) can get them into a good unit and playing to their strengths. But you know as well as I do if he plays WR and wins he will carry on playing him even though his club form has been pants.

The pundits etc always talk about taking players with experience blah blah blah. We have done so in every tournament and done nothing, except go out on penalties, so let's put out the team that rinsed the Germans and see what happens :)

The trouble is with our media is that no matter which team Roy picks he will be slated for, unless of course they win! :)

I want to see Ross Barclay, and Delle Ali ripping teams to bit with Vardy and Kane getting the spoils.

The defence is the suspect unit, and I think he needs to leave Stones out as he makes to many unforced errors for International football,.

So anyway saga over Come on England'!

I really rate Wilshere, he is our best passer, so if Wilshere starts we don't need Stones. Although Cahill is not exactly great either, he's had a stinker this season.

I'm mainly optimistic because other than at CB we genuinely have dept all over the pitch. Put it this way, here is a potential starting XI

Hart

Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Rose

Wilshere - Dier

Sterling     Alli      Rooney

Kane

This is the replacement XI. And apart from at CB, it's really not bad!

Forster

Walker - Stones - Dier - Bertrand

Drinkwater - Milner

Townsend  -  Barkley - Vardy

Sturridge

This is a decent second string side. 

(I had to put Dier in twice because there are only 3 CBs)

will be interesting to see the final team i actually forgot about sturridge so many players for roy to pick  and like macca said the defence is a bit suspect one luxury the manager doesn't have for choices apart from the wide men smalling for sure a cert cahill has been a bit on and off this season stones i haven't really seen much of maybe JT for a month  ;)

I think the draw works out with Germany playing France in the semi. That will be the effective final I think. 

I'd love to see Vardy start, but equally he's a great impact sub to bring on against tiring legs. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he starts off as a sub and then pushes his way into the starting XI as the tournament goes on.

I really rate Wilshere, he is our best passer, so if Wilshere starts we don't need Stones. Although Cahill is not exactly great either, he's had a stinker this season.

I'm mainly optimistic because other than at CB we genuinely have dept all over the pitch. Put it this way, here is a potential starting XI

Hart

Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Rose

Wilshere - Dier

Sterling     Alli      Rooney

Kane

This is the replacement XI. And apart from at CB, it's really not bad!

Forster

Walker - Stones - Dier - Bertrand

Drinkwater - Milner

Townsend  -  Barkley - Vardy

Sturridge

This is a decent second string side. 

(I had to put Dier in twice because there are only 3 CBs)

Some good selections there, I agree with the Wilshere observation, the only downside, as with Sturridge is their propensity for injury, and JW has not been a regular got Arsenal this season. I think he should pair Smalling and Dier as CB's with Drinkeater as the holding MF

will be interesting to see the final team i actually forgot about sturridge so many players for roy to pick  and like macca said the defence is a bit suspect one luxury the manager doesn't have for choices apart from the wide men smalling for sure a cert cahill has been a bit on and off this season stones i haven't really seen much of maybe JT for a month  ;)

Sncjez did you mean JT as in Jonh Terry? As he is not up for selection, or did you mean John Stones?

Sncjez did you mean JT as in Jonh Terry? As he is not up for selection, or did you mean John Stones

yup John terry mac tongue in cheek although at the age of 35 he's still got it should had been in the last world cup call me biased i'm an ex stamford bridge season ticket holder shame about the issues regarding him mixed bag that's for sure.

• Administrators

Defence is definitely dodgy AF. I think that's why we are going to press so hard, defend from the front, like, erm, Barca.

This is a good wall planner predictor:

http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk/

Here's my results:

http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk/web/eurosport-euro-2016-uk/prediction/15610655

(To share yours copy the URL in your web address bar when you've finished)

How about a fantasy league for this done this sorta thing with my work and petrol head forums been a big success.

What do you think we can push a thread for this loads of e.u footy nutters here

Luke?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Late reply -  apologies lads. I'm up for one too, not sure how may will get involved but even a few of us will be fun. I've made a league on the UEFA site, which is where everyone seems to be playing. 

The code is: 00948PXR

http://eurofantasy.uefa.com/en/fantasy16/leagues

Late reply -  apologies lads. I'm up for one too, not sure how may will get involved but even a few of us will be fun. I've made a league on the UEFA site, which is where everyone seems to be playing. 

The code is: 00948PXR

http://eurofantasy.uefa.com/en/fantasy16/leagues

You're going to end up with a league of 2000 users and not much chance of winning...  :angry:

We should definitely do this when the prem is back too!

• 4 weeks later...

The Duma has sold all over the world, so there must be football fans from other European nations that visit the forum.

What chances do you give your teams?

I think England might actually get out of the group stage for once!

But lose to Germany on penalties in the QF :)

And watch out for Spain!

Well, how wrong was I, I think I need to stay out of the forecasting results business, probably why I don't bet as I would be permantly skint!

England were absolutely woeful.... Enough said! All this rain we have had is the Scots pissing themselves laughing along with Wales. :)

I'm Welsh and I'm surprised of our achievements in this tournament so far. A lot of people wrote us off before the tournament had even started - same goes to Iceland too.

I'm not holding my breath for tonights game against Belgium though, but I'm proud none the less! 

QF's in their 1st major tournament in 58 years - you can't moan at that!

#togetherstronger

Last nights game was one the best game of the championships so far and Wales deserved to reach the semi final, Passion, Pride and a together team! England need to watch and learn!

I am supporting Wales all the way...do it for Great Britain!  :)

Hope Wales can do it, but the hype will all be about Ronaldo and Bale. Although both have been mediocre IMO. I think Ramsey has been outstanding for Wales at the moment, although it's Bale that gets the plaudits, but that's the media for you :)

Hope Wales can do it, but the hype will all be about Ronaldo and Bale. Although both have been mediocre IMO. I think Ramsey has been outstanding for Wales at the moment, although it's Bale that gets the plaudits, but that's the media for you :)

Shame Ramsey is out for the next match. He has been the glue for Wales IMO. It's all about being a team though, so I'm sure we'll pull no punches.

I can't believe they're through to the semi finals.

Pinch me! Am I dreaming?!

I'm not Portugese but I'm a Real Madrid and Cristiano Ronaldo fan so a win for him was both satisfying and justified in my eyes, especially after Payets attack.

Pepe doing a great job to keep the French forwards from scoring, of course I think Rui Patricio was in exceptional form the entire game.

especially after Payets attack.

Woah, that was a legit tackle (intended). A bit clumsy though.

Was nice to see that kind of emotion from a player, France were a far better team but didn't have the heart to win it so Portugal deserved the win.

Not sure Portugal actually won a game all tournament...

Archived